PDA

View Full Version : Wilkinet

am4graves
06-09-2003, 01:22 PM
I really like the looks of this carrier. Can anyone tell me how hot the fabric is though? I live in Central Texas and it gets very hot here in the summer. Will this carrier be too warm for the baby and/or me?
Thanks!
Amanda

uccomama
06-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Whatever carrier you go for I fear you are going to be hot! A little warm body pressed against yours will make you hot. I would go for a light colored fabric and probably not one of cord ones. They are all 100% cotton so at least they are breathable.

Deborah

strollerqueen
06-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Deb, what about a mesh carrier? I agree, most of them seem too hot for me, but those look awfully cool.

strollerqueen
06-10-2003, 02:34 AM
Btw, Deb, as of late, your user name should be "Slingqueen"! LOL!:P

ginalc
06-10-2003, 08:30 AM
When it's really hot, I agree, no carrier is comfortable. But when there's a breeze, I find a carrier (I use a Baby Trekker - similar to the Wilkinet) is cooler than a sling just because more of my back is open to fresh air and my workload is reduced -- baby seems lighter.

I bought the Baby Trekker in "Sand" (a soft Khaki) a few years ago and it has been by far my preferred carrier when it's hot, humid, and sticky outside. Even cooler than my "warmer climate" Rebozo. The BT is also made of soft, brushed denim. The Wilkinet is similar in design/function and I imagine would work the same. The biggest difference is how baby's legs are positioned in the tummy-to-tummy carry.

I limit activities when it's hottest outside. My walks are in the early morning or indoors during the summer. I seek refuge in cooler environments like shopping malls, shaded parks, etc. Indoors, the wrap-around carriers are by far coolest for me as I tend to be warm-blooded anyway. At 2.5 yrs old, my 33 lb. DD is easier to carry in the back carry posaition and my 20 lb. 6 month old DS is more comfy in the front carry position.

If I were to choose a good newborn-to-toddler carrier today, I would get a light-colored Wilkinet.

Let us know what you decide!!!

gina, mom to 3

uccomama
06-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Well, there is mesh and mesh and slings and slings! Some mesh slings are designed to be water slings so are made of nylon or polyester which would be hot and unfortable to wear out of the water, so you need to make sure you get a cotton one. The mesh type slings only come as ring type slings -- although there is an Australian brand which has one with a clip -- or pouches. The Wilkinet doesn't come in a mesh fabric, it would work for it.

Are you looking for one for Michael, maybe in the hip carry? If so, knowing you as well as I do, I would go for a Zolowear organic cotton sling.

You never did get to see my sling collection, it was always far worse than my stroller collection! Easier to hide from DH too! I am beginning to feel like the sling queen! LOL

Deb

ginalc
06-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Do you have the link to the Australian "Clip" sling?

uccomama
06-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Sure, its the Comfy Carry. It's a padded sling with a mesh pocket. It comes with either a clip or rings. Here's the link: http://www.cairnsmidwifery.com.au/products.htm

Deborah

ginalc
06-10-2003, 09:53 AM
A padded sling with a mesh pocket. Very clever indeed!!!