PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to San Francisco

New_Mom
06-10-2003, 09:45 AM
I am going to San Francisco with my husband (who will be working) and my 14 month DS. Does anyone have recommendations for what to bring?? PLease Help!! I will be alone most of the time and I assume walking most of the time. Will I need a carseat? He will probably sit in my lap on the plane (not easy, but cheap). What type of stroller would be best-regular or jogger (hybrid by Instep, easy to push, less easy to fold). I would guess I would use a back pack carrier part of the time too.

Please help!!

Sam's Mom 4/25/02

mamahill
06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Definitely bring a car seat. Depending on which airline your're flying, they can do a "soft hold" on a seat next to you for the baby. It will make your life SO much easier. Also, if they allow you to get a seat assignment, go for the window since that is where the carseats go, should you get to keep the seat on board. Most airlines will let you take the seat to the gate and gate-check it if the flight is full. But in any event, you'll need the car seat out here (I live in the SFBA) and your baby will probaby appreciate having his own seat.

Also, San Francisco is notoriously cold in the summer, so bring layers. A light jacket, maybe a couple long sleeved shirts, along with short-sleeved shirts and pants and shorts should be fine.

Bring a backpack or a sling. Bring a stroller that is lightweight, but comfy for the baby, if you have one. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you have other questions, ask away!

hardysmom
06-10-2003, 03:30 PM
I used to live in SF. Great town. Have a blast. Yes, bring a car seat. If there is space, you will be able to use it on the plane which makes life a lot easier. It might just stay in the hotel, but can make a huge difference on the flight.

Bring a mid-size stroller like a Pliko, Zippy, etc which is big enough for DS' comfort, OK on roughish sidewalks/grass, but maneuverable indoors. Light enought to throw in a cab or on Muni if your husband can sneak off for some family time. Good wheels, but not too heavy. Most stores you would hit on foot in SF have pretty narrow aisles so I'd skip the jogger.

The back carrier may be helpful if you are going sightseeing to Angel Island, Alcatraz, Marin County, etc... but if you plan on just walking around the city it isn't necessary. Could make life easier, but not an essential.

It can be very cold in SF in the summer. The old Mark Twain qutote "Coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in San Fransisco" can ring true so make sure to bring a jacket/sweater. It can be cold and dreary in one spot and hot 5 blocks down, so layering is key. If you do anything involving boats you will also need somehting warm. Maybe something hooded for your son.

Also bring VERY comfy, worn-in walking shoes. There is a lot to see and those hills can make some awful blisters even in shoes which normally seem OK..

Stephanie