PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Bugaboo

HoneyButter
06-10-2003, 10:38 AM
OK everyone I am a self-diagnosed birth junkie. My dh and I are going to start trying to conceive next month so as you can tell I am not pregnant yet. However, I do roam around these boards now and then trying to determine what things I will need in the futre when my turn comes around. So I have come to the decision that I will purchase a Bugaboo because I love it and know that is the stroller for me. Am I being to premature by purchasing it now? I mean I know that at this point I am truly obsessed w/ this thing but I am anxious to get started. I am sure you all must think I am a quack and in my heart I know that it is too early to buys things but I just had to vent. Any of you guys purchase things before you even got pregnant?

Calmegja
06-10-2003, 11:01 AM
No. You never know what may develop, or what may come out during the span between successful conception, and delivery, so I'm always out for keeping my options open..... ;-)

Also, and this is just me, but pregnancy can sometimes be hard to achieve/and maintain, so sometimes I think buying things beforehand can be an added pressure that you may not need, and could possibly make you feel bad, if, Maude forbid, there was some sort of problem.

But that's just my take. Our journey to parenthood was punctuated by some pretty darn rough patches along the way, so I tend to look at things a little more cautiously than most.....

Good luck with everything! You're in for a wild ride! ;-)

Megieblue
06-10-2003, 11:09 AM
One more point is that new and more exciting strollers come out every day. Just ask all the stroller junkies on these board why they keep buying more! There's always something greener on the horizon. I totally agree that the Bugaboo is a fantastic stroller (I want one too!) BUT there will be something even more fantastic in a year (the earliest you'll need one) - possibly a new and updated Bugaboo. I'd hold off.

redhairedgirl
06-10-2003, 11:44 AM
This is a really tough call. Some people do buy things beforehand, and others wait.
Personally, this is what happened to me:

We struggled with infertility. When we finally were moved to "high tech" options, I did buy two things: the crib bumper, and the matching quilt for a twin bed from Potterybarn Kids. I only bought them because the style I liked was being discontinued and it was on a GREAT sale. Most of the time, I put away money in a savings account. I knew deep in my heart, I would get pregnant someday... it was just a matter of time. When I finally became pregnant, I had such a nice nest egg that I was able to get anything my heart desired... and one of those desires was the Bugaboo Frog. ;)
Unless the Frog was on a great sale, I would really try to hold off. Put the money aside for when you do become pregnant, and then it will already be there. Heck, go buy it as soon as you get your ++, but I would really try to hold off on such a large purchase until you become pregnant. God Forbid, if a problem arose, you wouldn't want to have that reminder sitting there all the time. :(

smilequeen
06-10-2003, 11:57 AM
I would wait myself. DH and I have been ttc for several months now. It's a lot harder than I thought. And even though it hasn't been long enough to think the worst, I do, and every time I'm not pregnant it's devastating for a couple of days. I've been doing research and around those times it's hard to see anything baby related anywhere, let alone in my own house. That's my take on it anyway, sorry if it's a *tad* on the pessimistic side LOL. I *really* want to start buying things, but I really need that positive test first.

mamicka
06-10-2003, 11:58 AM
I totally agree. In the last 9 months I've been POSITIVE about which stroller I absolutely NEEDED about 5 times. I'm really glad that I was hesistant each time. I just bought a P3 last week & I'm due next week. I haven't received it yet but I feel really confident that I made the right choice. I wouldn't have been if I had purchased months ago.

nola
06-10-2003, 12:35 PM
I agree with everything already said. You should wait.
But, I am one of those who spent most of my time doing what I "should" do. Now and then when I do what I *want* it feels very freeing. Especially when the consequences aren't too terrible. So, what's the big deal? Say you buy the stroller. Later, you decide you want something else, like a TWIN stroller. Sell the frog on ebay or to a neighbor. I am sure someone will take it off your hands.
Fertility challenges suck. Treat yourself and your husband with kindness.

nathansmom
06-10-2003, 01:00 PM
I tried for 5 years to get pregnant. Along the way I purchased alot of items for my future baby. I knew deep down I would get pregnant. Yes having the baby items around while not being pregnant hurt sometimes. Do I regret purchasing all that I purchased? No.

My advice for prepregnancy buying is don't spend alot of money on items. Everything I purchased was at least half off the orginial price. This way you can give it as a shower gift during the emotional times when the test isn't positive. Putting money aside for your future child is also something I did. When our test came back positive I had money to spend on all I wanted.

Buying a stroller now, I wouldn't do it. I bought 3 strollers while trying to concieve thinking this is the one I want. By the time Nathan arrived I had either sold them or gave them as gifts.

eaj7889
06-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Well....you are going to do what you are going to do. I myself, a bugaboo, owner do not have a child yet....but will. I was pregnatn when I bought it and still had many months to go until the baby actually arrived! But, I justified it by telling myself and husband, and family that I would want to be experienced with this thing and not fumbling around trying to assembly, fold, etc...when I had a screaming impatient baby! I'm glad I bought it. I've really become good at folding it, etc... and I think the best part.....is watching/observing my husband. He thinks it's so cool and it has really made it real to him...that we are having a child. He rolled his eyes at first when I brought it home, but now...he shows his friends, talks about taking the baby here and there in it! That alone has made it all worth while! As for the what if you have problems conceiving, etc...do you want that around? I had a miscarriage before this one and it wasn't a problem having anything around for me. I knew I'd have a child one day and if it wasn't one I conceived....I knew I'd adopt or something, but I would have a child! Follow your heart. This is such a wonderful time for you. Do what you want!

MamaKath
06-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Hmmm...I wouldn't get it.

I am one who feels very blessed as a mom of two (with extremely difficult pregnancies), but have had 3 losses as well. You don't know for sure how you would feel/react if you have either infertility or loss issues since you are just starting out. You may think you would react a certain way and that might be exactly the case, but you don't know. So having baby items around might not bother you, but it really might.

I also think that the advice that many things change or are redesigned even within a year is good. Unless you have found a bugaboo for at least half off (an unbelievable deal that you couldn't pass up) I would hold off. In general if you found a deal that good on something, you could recoup on it or give it as a gift if you changed your mind/ felt uncomfortable with it later. But otherwise I would wait. But to pay full price would mean an almost certain loss of major money if you changed your mind.

I also know folks do what they want, lol, so good luck either way. And lots of luck ttc #1.

Not much help, lol,

hardysmom
06-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Yeah... it is so hard to hold off!!

First, there are the obvious TTC issues-- My first was a cinch, but we're on the infertility merry-go-round w/ #2. I have sat by and watched my #1 DS outgrow our had-to-have-it Emmaljunga Toddler seat (still in a box). Actually, I can use it for 3 more pounds so I suppose I need to either put the kid on a diet or get this show on the road.

On a more positive note, I agree that the BEST reason to wait is because they are constantly coming out with cool new stuff. I mean, heck, Mountain Buggy and Bugaboo both came to the US during the last year. What is next? Maybe a hovercraft stroller? Hmmmm...

Plus, and trust me on this one, if you think the impulse to buy baby stuff is strong now, JUST WAIT. You get those nesting urges going and WHOA. If you have all of the gear, you're just going to be stuck wasting all of those great compulsive hormones on cleaning the house! I detailed our vacuum with a toothbrush. seriously.

Stephanie

bubblegum
06-10-2003, 02:58 PM
I am also an obsessive planner. My DH and I weren't even planning on ttc until this summer, but I have been buying baby things for a couple of years now. I have a ton of maternity clothes, books, baby clothes, baby bedding, you name it. Now, I have gotten everything at amazing deals, and that is the main reason I have gone ahead and bought things, and I haven't bought any big-ticket items like a stroller. That being said, we got pg unexpectedly a couple of months ago and ended up miscarrying. Personally, I didn't mind having the baby stuff around (it is all put away so I didn't have to constantly see it), because I know we will start ttc again as soon as possible and hopefully with a better outcome this time. Only you can know how you would react in this situation. Personally, if it were me I would wait unless it was a great deal on the stroller. I say, if you find an amazing deal snap it up while you can! But, like others said, new models may come out, old models may be clearanced, etc. You will have plenty of time to find one! But, do what makes you feel the best, you don't have to take our word for it!
Brannon :)

MamaKath
06-10-2003, 03:04 PM
"I detailed our vacuum with a toothbrush. seriously."

That is too funny! Any time you have urges like that you guys are welcome at my house. ;) :P :)

partyof5
06-11-2003, 02:23 AM
I would wait on the Bugaboo. They're always coming out with new versions of strollers or trendy colors and when you have your baby you'll want whatever is the "best" at that time.

If you have that urge to buy something, how about a baby outfit? I was always looking out for those unique hand knitted hats or booties. There's just something about tiny baby clothes that makes that mothering instinct come out!

cilantromapuche
06-11-2003, 09:26 AM
I don't want to beat a dead horse but wait. I bought some things after reading these boards (we are due in July) including the Britax Marathon car seat. Then there were issues with it. I also bought a Baby Bjorn carrier and they revamped it, making it better. It is tempting because you feel like you have a little control over the situation (when you don't).
Good Luck,
Christine

HoneyButter
06-11-2003, 10:40 AM
OK guys I get the picture. I should wait and intellectually I already knew that but needed someone else to tell me. I agree with all of you that models do change and do improve and I must say that is the number one reason why I haven't purchased it yet.

As far as having baby items around in the event of an unexpected loss. That may or may not affect me. What would be harder for me in that case is returning to work after a miscarriage or loss. I am an OB nurse and I get to see, hold, and care for newborns and their moms 40 hours a week. God willing I will have a positive outcome. But nevertheless I hear you ladies and I am going to take your wise advice.

Calmegja
06-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Best of luck to you......keep us posted! ;-)