PDA

View Full Version : Which Sling/Hip Carrier should I get?--Please Help!

Jodi
06-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Hello--I think that my quest (read: obsession) for the perfect sling/carrier now rivals my obsession for strollers. Anyhoo, here's my dilemma: I'm a SAHM and we're moving in a few weeks, I need a carrier that will allow me to unpack while carrying my DD relatively hands-free. I'm deciding between a sling (either an adjustable cotton sling or a hotsling) and a hip carrier (Hip Hammock or Walking Rock Farm.) We also happen to live in Florida, so the fleece adjustable sling is not a viable option--but I'm open to all suggestions.

I've never used a sling, only the Baby Bjorn, which I find uncomfortable--especially since my DD is long and I'm short (and short waisted) not to mention that having her in front doesn't allow me the freedom to unpack. I'd like something that's relatively easy to get her into and out of and won't kill my back, too. Oh, and it would be great if I can BF while she's in the sling and/or carrier.

DD is 8 months old, 13.5 lbs and 26" long--she can sit unassisted.

What do you all recommend? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

TIA,
Jodi (Ella's mom)

uccomama
06-10-2003, 04:44 PM
An Ergo would work, but you won't be able to nurse in it, but you would be able to get a lot done with your baby on your back. At 13.5 lbs you won't even be able to feel her in the Ergo!

Http://www.ergobabycarrier.com

The terracotta is currently on sale at http://www.peppermint.com

The other slings you mentioned can be used for back carrying but they won't be nearly as stable as a true back carrier, and if you will be bending and stretching, you will want something that keeps her nice and snug to your body.

Deborah