PDA

View Full Version : If I had to do it again ... (strollers)

spotgirl
06-11-2003, 11:44 AM
I'm posting this for any other first-time stroller buyers out there .... I just bought a FOURTH stroller for babe #1 ... and babe #2 is on the way! If I had to do the stroller purchasing again, I would have gotten a frame for the infant seat and invested $$ in a good *lightweight*, compact stroller (like the Perego or Maclaren) with a good height, recline, and snack tray. The frame seemed silly at the time (Why spend $50 on a frame when I can spend $100 on a stroller that holds the infant seat?) Live and learn, I guess, I'm hoping not to make the same mistake picking out the double stroller!

This is our current inventory:

Combi Perfect Match: purchased because we could snap the car seat in, thought it would be my mall/errand stroller. So far, so good, but it's too bulky for anything but going from the car to the mall.

Baby Trend Jogger: love, love, love. I think a jogger is a must for walks outside.

Kolcraft liteweight stroller: got as a gift, yes it is easy and lightweight but WAY too short (and I'm only 5ft 5in) and no features. And the strap sucks.

Graco Citilite: just bought specifically for a trip to NYC knowing we'd be folding and unfolding a lot to take it on the subway and up and down lots of stairs. Lightweight, good sunshade, easy fold and recline (very important) but why no snack tray?

zen_bliss
06-11-2003, 01:14 PM
only 4? LOL!

i may be the only person who didn't find the snap in car seat stroller useful. based on all the recommendations, i bought a kolcraft, used it once, and now i am selling it (if anybody wants it, email me...). strapping the carseat in my regular stroller is fine and i like having the option of doubling up the facing canopies on seat and stroller (sunny So Cal.) i have a lightweight stroller (16 lb inglesina) and the kolcraft at 13 lbs wasn't that big a weight savings to justify having it. now those other 2 strollers, with a mountain buggy on the way, those are really essential ;)

shall85296
06-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Spot girl - I have to admit I would do the same thing. Universal carrier for the carset, and then a lightweight for when they outgrow the carseat. I just got a combi ultra savvy - which I am loving, and now wish I had skipped my Peg Venezia altogether. I think that for the weight and cost the combi has all of the features of the Peg.

votre_ami03
06-11-2003, 02:13 PM
#1 isn't even here yet, but I have purchased (en route) a Peg P3 & registered for the Graco MetroLite. I was also eyeing an inexpensive Baby Trend to leave w/grandma. I also find myself eyeing other people's strollers when I am out to see what they are driving. *lol*

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

helenyoo
06-11-2003, 03:31 PM
I agree! I purchased a Peg Perego Milano for the early months and got a MacLaren Techno XT as a gift. I used my Milano maybe 5 times and began to use the MacLaren only because the Milano is way too cumbersome. If I could do it again, I would have bought the Kolcraft carseat carrier or a Zippy which can also take a carseat.

MinnieMouse
06-12-2003, 12:41 PM
My dd is 2yo next month and I LOVE our stroller choices!!

We have a Peg Milano that we got before she was born and used our FP SIV infant seat in it. Fit PERFECTLY....got the adapter bar for it but the SIV didn't fit it...but used the straps w/ the bar to secure the SIV just fine.

We LOVE the Milano. We use it for all our local walks in the neighborhood. It goes GREAT over sidewalks..even uneven ones. We also use it for day long outings and whenever we know that dd may nap in it. I don't find it too heavy at all. It goes in and out of the trunk of our Jetta just fine and opens and closes VERY easily.

When dd was 15mo we took a plane trip to see MIL and go to DisneyWorld. I admit the Milano would be too heavy to haul through airports w/ luggage, etc. Did some research and came across the clearance sale at Value City on 2001 Arias. Picked one up for $50.

The Peg Aria is beautiful. Only 8+lbs and is perfect for us. Dh and I were not thrilled w/ umbrella handles and prefer the full bar...AND..dd really enjoys sitting forward in her stroller so the napper bar is great as well. We used this stroller for our trip and it was excellent. Great for WDW, dd napped in it like a dream and it was light and maneuverable enough to get on and off all the shuttles, trams and trains that we needed to.

For us the Milano is a key stroller and can't imagine not having it. I like that it is more comfy, roomy and plush for when dd was younger and for those all day events. Now we use the Aria for running to the store, etc. But the Milano still gets used much more in the neighborhood for walks.

It's all how YOU and YOUR family use strollers.

Christine

netne
07-05-2003, 12:46 PM
We are expecting our first baby in 5 weeks and got the Zippy. We love the easy fold and the fact that it takes an infant car seat (we got the Graco SnugRide). We'd talked about getting the Kolcraft Universal carrier but since we got the Zippy I don't know if we really need it. We'll be traveling to San Francisco for my brother's wedding in November (baby will be almost 4 months) and I'm wondering if we'll wish we had the Kolcraft for that trip. I'm a little nervous about taking the Zippy and having to check it on the plane. I know it's early to be worrying about how to travel in November, but if we think we'll want the Kolcraft at that point, I'd rather go ahead and get it now and get some use out of it. No one we know has the Kolcraft or I'd just plan on borrowing it if we needed it for the trip. Any suggestions?

hardysmom
07-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Started with a Peg Milano (with a FP SIV) I loved. I can't imagine not having the reversible handle. Our Milano didn't do so great on bad sidewalks, but it was so roomy and comfy that the trade-off was OK for us. We live in the 'burbs so, when walking outside, it isn't like we are navigating a NYC street or anything...

That said, my line-up has gone beyond the practical, no one NEEDS more than a couple strollers. It has been fun getting here since none of my strollers was a big mistake. Though I might do things differently, I don't have a bad egg. The current line-up (by weight) -- Mac Vogue 2000, Inglesina Zippy, Peg Milano, Emmaljunga Husky, Teutonia Y2K...

Here is the deal- for the ONE stroller you get before the baby, think long and hard about your use. For me, I wish I had started out with the Y2K (or any other all-terrain jogger, Mountain Buggy, etc) and a Universal Carrier since I spend way more time walking outside than mall-crawling. The Universal Carrier would have been a nice lightweight for the car, errands, etc... Hardy was really too young for our Maclaren when we started using it.

I would have purchased a lightweight umbrella when we outgrew the Carrier and a mid-size stroller for travel. For us 3 is the magic number-- an all-terrain, lightweight and comfy mid-weight... to be honest, the lightweight and midweight are pretty redundant. Having both is a luxury more than necessity.

Stephanie

emilyf
07-05-2003, 04:18 PM
I never had a kolcraft and never missed it. They are great for travel, but by 4 mos your babe might be more comfortable in the zippy then the car seat, and everyone says checking a stroller is no big deal. The main advantage (that I can think of) is that there is more storage underneath. But, when you arrive at your destination I think you will prefer having your stroller there for walking around.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

stillplayswithbarbies
07-05-2003, 09:12 PM
>I also
>find myself eyeing other people's strollers when I am out to
>see what they are driving. *lol*
>

LOL I do the same thing! We went to open house at my son's camp today and I was trying to non-chalantly catch up to other people walking with strollers so I could see what they had! I saw a jogging stroller, two cheapy umbrella strollers (like the freebies from TRU) and a Graco.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mtruesdale
07-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi, I'm new here.
We're expecting our first baby in November. We live in the "Green Acres" scenario, where there are no sidewalks in our neighborhood; just paved roads and the occasional non-technical trail. We spend a lot of time on the weekends watching outdoor races, etc., so we're looking for something that can we can put an infant seat into, but can handle the terrain. We eventually hope to get a baby jogger, but they don't provide a lot of support for infants, so we probably wouldn't use it until the baby is a year old or so. And, finally, we would need something "normal" for the occasional trip to the grocery store or the mall for errands. Does anyone have any suggestion(s)????

hardysmom
07-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Tons of suggestions. Try posting this on its own, rather than in this message...

Basically, there are several all-terrain strollers which would be better in your situation if you don't really jog but just want something that can handle bad roads, grass, gravel, etc. . Most can be used from birth, some take infant seats. There is a pretty big price range. The most popular on this Board (with good reason) are the Mountain Buggies.

They can be seen at www.mountainbuggyusa.com

They make a fixed wheel model for very rough terrain and a swivel wheel which is good for occasional unpaved roads and in-town use. Either would be excellent for you. They are light enough to put in the car (20 lbs), can take seats in the single models, and might serve as your only stroller.

Zooper also makes a couple of good walking strollers as does Teutonia ($$). Both are ficxed wheel, so mostly just for outdoors.

There are plenty of others-- so far as your normal stroller-- that would depend on if you still needed something outdoorsy, strictly for indoors, or a little of both, what all-terrain you choose, budget, etc. I think the most popular for newborns are the Peg Perego Pliko, Inglesina Zippy, and lightweight Combis (more for indoors)

If you post this on its own I'm sure lots of people will help and offer suggestions I have forgotten.

Stephanie

mtruesdale
07-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanks, Stephanie. I'll check these out! I just posted this message on its own, with a slight addition; I am a runner and am really hoping to find something that I can use early on . . .

DDowning
07-07-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm 3 weeks into the deal now and I'll say I too love my Milano. Foreseeably I can see down the line of getting something smaller but for now, its my mall crawler and I use the PP infant carrier sometimes but just as well, sometimes not. DS is on the large size so I have a feeling I'll be needed to upgrade the carrier in the next couple of months but the stroller works just fine.

For my outdoor stroller, I have a Y2k. I really like it and its great and rugged on the trails. The hood being extra long to block out the sun as well as being able to switch the direction of the seat and make it more like a pram also has its advantages.

hardysmom
07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
How is the Y2K going?

Stephanie

caroliner
07-12-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm with you.... used it once or twice, hated it so much I sold it... Also in sunny So. Cal, so the canopies are very important!

McQ
07-12-2003, 10:26 AM
I must say that I couldn't live without my Kolcraft. It's the best $40 we've spent. So easy. My neighborhood stroller is an Aprica Pram First. Love the reversible handles, it looks great and is lightweight. And my 3 moth old does well in it. But now I'm in the market for an MBUS or Kiwi and I've often wondered if the Aprica was over kill as I could have gone from the Kolcraft to the MBUS. But once my son outgrows the Kolcraft I'll put the Aprica in my truck and plan on using the MB or Kiwi around the neighorhood. Now it's just to decide between the two. Plan on having #2 when #1 is 2 so I don't want a single now if I'm only to need a double later which is why the convertible Kiwi is appealing. We'll see!

jbeamer
08-13-2003, 06:39 PM
We have a zooper buddy for our outdoor use. Our Graco snugride fits into it perfectly. With the baby in the carseat it handled rought terrain very well, and was able to jog with it(on sidewalks) at about 3mo. because of the great suspension system. Now that my daughter is 5mo. she loves sitting in it without her carseat. Still pretty comfortable on rough terrain. The Zooper Buddy is a great stroller.

Jen

jbeamer
08-13-2003, 06:50 PM
We have used the universal stroller since our daughter was born. At 3mo. I travelled with her to NY and used this stroller. I had no problems and absolutely loved the ease of folding the stroller. It was perfect for having to go through security,now you have to put the carseat and the stroller through the x-ray machine, so this system was easy for me. I strolled right up to the airplane and they packed the stroller and carseat for me. When I got off they were right there waiting for me. It is very light weight and easy to close. My daughter has no problem being in her carseat and strolling around.

Hope this helps,

Jen

jbeamer
08-13-2003, 06:52 PM
We used the Zooper Buddy for running early on. It has a great suspension and with the carseat attatched, it added extra support, so our daughter was not bouncing around. She actually slept! We couldn't run though on a really rough trail, still to bumpy for a new born.

Jen