PDA

View Full Version : Does this stroller exist?

audreywindsor
06-11-2003, 02:44 PM
My dream full size stroller is a stroller that:

- Can function as, and look as beautiful as, a nice pram.
- Preferably can also be turned around and function as a stroller, with the child looking out (this is not essential, see below)
- Can also have a car seat fitted into it.

So, my questions are:

(1) Are there ANY traditional prams that (leaving aside stroller/front-facing functionality) even HAVE car seat capability? I know the Venezia fits these qualifications, but I don't think of it as quite as a traditional pram, and from what I've read here, isn't as smooth as most of the traditional-type prams (Silver Cross, Inglesina Emma or Magnum, etc.)

(2) Is the PP Venezia the only thing that fits all three of the above qualifications? I really liked it at BRU, but, from what I've read here, it seems like it's not quite as smooth as a pram. It's also not quite as pretty in the "traditional pram" way, though it is still nice. And, while this is not the highest consideration, I like the Chesapeake colors best of the PP line (I prefer dark, classic colors-- I like the black sable colors, but not the material), but literally EVERY mother where I live has a Peg in Chesapeake, and something different might be nice! On the other hand, since we are probably getting an Aria for the lightweight stroller, it might be nice to have the Venezia with the Primo Viaggo, b/c we could get all three in the same colors and it would be convenient and attractive.

I LOVE the idea of getting a pram, and would prefer to have one to a full size stroller, but I also like the idea of being able to leave the baby in its carseat while sleeping. And I like the idea of being able to turn baby around to look out, but that's not so big of a deal, because we are probably going with the Aria for an everyday, lightweight stroller, and the baby can look out from that.

From what I've read here, it looks like StrollerQueen might be a good person to ask, so if you're out there, please help!

MamaKath
06-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Peg Perego is the only pram maker that would fit your requirements. They have the Giovanne or the Culla, both are 3 in 1s (chassis, seat, bassinet) and the Elegante, a 2 in 1 (seat and chassis). You have a choice of chassis and use with the Primo Viaggo car seat or Navetta bassinet. www.babycatalog.com has a good selection, or check out carriages at the Perego site www.perego.com for the company info. I have a Peg pram and really like it! It was much lighter than many of the prams I tried, so I use it much more often than I might have otherwise. It is easy to haul in and out of my van.

Inglesina prams are very similar to the Perego's and are also Italian. Other prams to look into would be Emmalunga, Slver Cross, Simo, and Bertini. Oh and Teutonia might be carseat compatible with Britax but I am not sure. Check www.britax.com for more info on those.

HTH!

audreywindsor
06-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Okay, so I'm still confused. I checked out the Perego website, and I don't understand whether you can use the Primo Viaggo carseat with the "prams." The Milano and Venezia pages say "car seat ready" and show the Primo Viaggo, but the pram pages do not. So, are you saying you CAN use the car seat with the PP prams as well? Or is it that you take the pram part off and use the chassis with the carseat all by itself (no bassinette part)? Sorry to be so stupid, there's just so many choices, and I don't really undertand them. Also, do the pram styles fold up so you can put them in your car?

hardysmom
06-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Prams don't generally have swivel wheels. Are you open to a fixed wheel pram? Fixed wheels are much better outdoors, parks, neighborhood walks, etc. If the primary use of your pram is for neighborhood walks and such, carseat compatibility isn't an issue. I mean, you wouldn't take the baby out of his crib and put him in a carseat to go walking around the neighborhood, you know?

Prams are amazing, bouncy fun things, but they are heavy and not really made for quick errands and car trips when a travel system might seem advantageous. Apples and oranges.

Peg Venezias and Milanos (I have a Milano) are not prams at all. They are roomy strollers with reversible handles. Unlike prams, Venezias are primarily indoor strollers. Great at the mall, but considerably less so on rough sidewalk (where prams shine). After about 6 months (or with the weight of a carseat), you will find you get stuck in every crack in the walk. If you do most of your strolling indoors or on VERY smooth roads, go for it. I loved the reversible handle feature with my son. But if you are envisioning going for long walks to the park, splurge and get a real pram. You can always get a Universal Carrier/Snap n' Go for quick errands, doctors office, etc.

Like the Venezia, there are a few swivel wheel strollers (Bugaboo, Zippy, Kidco Finale, Mountain Buggy Urban) which have bassinets/carry-cots to make them more carriage-ish.

Most full size prams can probably accept a carseat, though I don't know the circumstance where it would matter. If it doesn't come with a strap to secure a seat, you can buy one. Many, if not most, also have a seat as well as a bassinet.

Stephanie

audreywindsor
06-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Okay, gotcha. Thank you for all the explanations, both of you. I'll be a mom on the go, with some visions of walking around the park, but not too much, realistically. Basically, I want the styling and comfort of pram/bassinette, but the functionality of a stroller, so it sounds like the Venezia is probably the best bet for me. As for the park, I guess I'll just use the Aria for that or get a jogging stroller. I can't justify the cost buying a Venezia AND a pram just for that, especially when I know that, realistically, I'm not a SAHM, I have a very demanding job, and "park and neighborhood strolling" will be somewhat limited, especially after my 4 mos. maternity leave is over, which is when the baby will be heavier. Sounds like I can use the Venezia for that while I'm still on leave, since the baby will be light.

nofeea
06-11-2003, 04:05 PM
I've got the Venezia and I really like it. I though it looked quite Pram-like when the boot was on (DD is now 7 mos. old). The turn-around feature is really great- in fact, DH was so spoiled by it that he now complains that he can't see DD when he uses the jogging stroller that I bought him! DD is a also a bit fussy in her stroller so I like the option of being able to push the handle back and forth depending on her mood...

hardysmom
06-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Yep. I used my Milano as my exclusive stroller for my DS' first 5-6 months. I bought a Maclaren Vogue around then because the Milano seemed heavy to haul in/out of the car for quick errands.

For neighborhood walks (and our streets are horrible!) I used the Milano (and various front/back carriers) until my son was about 10 months and approaching 25lbs. When I finally got a "proper" walking stroller I couldn't believe the difference, but honestly, I was OK with the Milano. I barely ever use it anymore, but it certainly earned its keep.

The only heads-up I would give you is that the Peg carseat can't be used without its base. So if the baby is riding with different people (DH, nanny, grandparents, etc) you may want to get an extra base for additional cars. The Venezia will hold (without the official adapter) most non-Peg carseats. Until last year, there was an adapter for Venezia/Milanos which is still be sold on ebay. Of course, with 4 months of leave (that is great!) you may be out of the infant car seat before you go back to work. Most people seem to move to convertible seats 4-6 months.

Stephanie.

smilequeen
06-11-2003, 06:37 PM
I noticed that you can also get a swivel wheel chassis with the Perego prams that might help make it more versatile, although the fixed wheels are definitely more "prammy".

I'm a pram lover too :)

Bsuperbmom
06-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Are you thinking an Elegante combo?

http://www.strollerworld.com/Perego03/elegante.htm

MamaKath
06-11-2003, 08:39 PM
The car seat snaps onto the carriage frame without the seat or bassinet on. You have a choice of frames (classic which has fixed white wheels, velo which has fixed air tires, and the caravel which is a swivel wheel chassis with a cupholder making the pram very similar to an Atlantico but with a reversible seat) with the Peregos depending on your usage. I think in the US the typical definiton of a pram is a reversible seat instead of a reversible handle.

HTH

stillplayswithbarbies
06-11-2003, 08:41 PM
My Bertini Sport fits your criteria. A car seat doesn't snap into it, but it can be put in the seat and wedged in there.

http://www.bertinistrollers.com/bertinisport.htm

They don't show it in the pictures, but the footrest folds up and goes behind the napper bar to make it into a pram.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

MamaKath
06-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Forgot to say that babycatalog has pretty good pics to check out with the Peg systems, I found better than Perego's site, lol.

cpike
06-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Have you thought about the Bugaboo?

1. Carrycot & Seat can be rear or forward facing
2. Swivel wheels (2) can also be at front or back
3. Compatable with infant car seat (Graco I think)

I've had the Bugaboo for three weeks, and it's been everything we expected and more...full size, light weight, and still pleanty of room in the trunk when the stroller is there.

It's not cheap, but I'm hoping it will be the only stroller I need to own.

ginamlee
06-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Most of the Peg strollers can be turned into a "pram" by adding the Navetta. I'll be using the Navetta with my Atlantico. If you like the Venezia but would like all terrain wheels and a parent tray, you might want to check out the Atlantico with the Navetta added.

chirshfield
06-12-2003, 01:14 PM
I second the Bugaboo for your needs. It fits exactly what you are looking for. I just got mine a couple of days ago and it is wonderful!! You should definitley take a look at it.

Carrie