PDA

View Full Version : Chariot carrier -- 1 or 2? Cougar or Cheetah?

phirey
06-11-2003, 07:10 PM
We've decided to get the Chariot Carrier chassis and bike trailer with the jogging attachment ($395 for everything at www.agees.com!) Our 7-month-old is all I can handle right now, so I can't imagine having another, but I know we probably will within 3 years or so.

Problem is, I'm cheap. I don't want to buy a single trailer/stroller and then have it gather dust after Kid #2. The Chariot has a bench seat so we could put DD in the center for now, and the double is only 3 pounds more than the single (20.5 vs 23.5 lbs)

Also, for those who have them, is there any good reason to get the cheetah vs. the cougar?

Thanks,

KathyO
06-11-2003, 08:04 PM
You've put your finger on it. The primary question to answer when considering the 1 or 2-passenger configuration is how old the first child will be when the second one comes along. I've seen kids riding in them up to 5 years old, but it can be a tight fit at that point. So... if child 2 will arrive and be ready to sit fairly upright and still give you a decent amount of two-child use at that point, go for it. And some folks really like the double because a solo child can bring along a few toys and so on to play with...

Another question with the double is whether you plan to get through any spaces that it might be too big for. Our local bike trail is gated with posts set close together to keep motorized vehicles off (good) but some are set too close together for the double Cougar I am coveting for when baby #2 is ready to ride (less good). There are ways around, but still - grrr!

I'd definitely get the Cougar if I were you. The padded seats and roomier compartment and side vents are nice to have, but the really nifty thing it offers is the independently adjustable suspension, which is just the ticket when one small passenger weighs a lot more or a lot less than the other one.

And, as one cheapo to another (I prefer the term "canny" :P ), you'll be glad to hear that Chariots tend to resell for about 65% to 70% of their new value, according to the bike shop guys I've talked to, and the ads I have seen come and go in the paper.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

KathyO

phirey
06-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Thanks so much Kathy, I suspected you'd be the one to answer me since you first clued me into the Chariots (thanks!).

One more question, what is upright enough to tolerate a ride in these things? Margot sits up OK, but often flops over to the side. She's almost 7 mos old and I know her balance will get better and better, but is this the right time to start her in it or do I need to purchase the "infant sling" as well?

OK two questions, since I'll be purchasing this sight-unseen. Do they recline?

Thanks in advance,

KathyO
06-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Neither the Cougar nor the Cheetah recline, as this brings the baby's head into your "kick zone" when jogging, but both have a more "laid-back" seating angle than any other trailer I've looked at. (Can you tell I've become a wee tad obsessive on the trailer-research project...?)

You probably want the "baby supporter" instead of the "infant sling", as it can be adjusted as she grows, and can be used when both cycling and walking/jogging. Even as Margot outgrows her "floppy" stage, you may still find it useful if she's the type to fall asleep in the trailer (an amazing number of kids do! My two-year-old still occasionally falls asleep in the bicycle seat.) It's an extra accessory to buy, but at least you know she's better supported, and you'll be using it again for #2, and it'll mean you can start using the Chariot right away for Margot.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

KathyO