PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for CHEAP jogging stroller?

kristine_elen
06-13-2003, 04:37 PM
The uneven, crumbling sidewalks in my city neighborhood are driving me nuts. I like my Aprica stroller but it's definitely better for suburban sidewalks or the mall. I already have three strollers but now think a jogger might be the way to go for my "all terrain" neighborhood. I don't want to spend a lot. Anyone know of a lower-end jogger that works OK? Target has an instep for $90 and Babies R Us has some (seen online only) for $109. Any thoughts?
Also, I saw a Baby Jogger at a consignment store for $75 but the front wheel seemed wobbly. Are they supposed to seem wobbly?
Thanks!

nola
06-13-2003, 05:38 PM
I got a jogger at Costco for $99. It is a Bell. It works good, very light, and has good features.

firsttimemommy
06-14-2003, 01:26 AM
Go to joggingstroller.com - they have excellent reviews about tons of different jogging strollers - they tend to focus on the higher end brands, but do have some great reviews about the instep brand and they do recommend them - lots of details about the different instep models to help you compare.

HTH,
Ronda :)

August Mom
06-14-2003, 03:15 AM
I have an InSTEP Safari TT (front wheel can swivel or be locked) and I really like it. It's not a jogger per se, but an all terrain stroller. I think that you could do very light jogging with it, but it doesn't have a handbrake or tether strap. It's great for neighborhood walks and parks, though, if that's your primary use. I got it for around $119 at allkidsstuff.com, which price-matched strollers4less.com. I also have heard good things about the InSTEP 10K. My BIL and SIL have one and really like it.

toomanystrollers
06-14-2003, 05:39 AM
A Baby jogger brand stroller for $75 sounds like a good deal. There should be some flexibility to the front wheel, but it should track straight (not veering to one side or another) when pushed. The wheel may be wobbly b/c the front wheel detaches for storage. It may just need to be tightened or it could be out of alignment. A bike shop may be able to help you. Ask the consignment shop if you can return the stroller if the wheel cannot be fixed.

You might also like the Emmaljunga (Swedish) strollers. They are no longer distributed in the U.S. but usually Ebay has a nice selection at decent prices.

-Pam

Lisa_Seattle_2002
06-15-2003, 12:57 PM
FWIW we have the Baby Trend "Expedition" from BRU and love it. I think it was right around $100. The front wheel sometimes goes out of alignment - but that has been the only issue. We have logged probably hundreds of miles on it. Use it everyday - long walks around our neighborhood. Now I am starting to actually run with it. Its great. Not sure what the attraction / advantage of more expensive models / brands is since I have not used any others. And a plus, it folds (not flat, but in 1/2, which is enough to get it in the car).
HTH,
Lisa
& 11 month old Zoe

kristine_elen
06-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks, you guys. I ended up getting a Dreamer Suspension on sale for $180 (see other post if interested.) I really wouldn't consider that cheap but it was such a great deal! (Normally close to $300.)