PDA

View Full Version : MacLaren Quest and Combi Ultra Savvy

jegossma
10-27-2003, 04:27 PM
I am in the process of determining which stroller(s) to register for. I am due in Feb. I live in a suburb of Washington, DC, and I plan to use a SNG for quick errands in and out of the car, but I would like a stroller to use for walks in the neighborhood when the baby is younger, and a lightweight stroller for errands and the like when the baby is a little older. My research led me to two strollers--the Combi Ultra Savvy for neighborhood walks and the MacLaren Quest for errands. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

vpalmer
10-29-2003, 09:14 AM
We have the Combi Ultra Savvy and love it. DD is about 4 months old and I use it for both neighborhood walks and for errands. It does well outside and inside alike. It has great steering for small places indoors and I have had to roll it across dirt/grassy areas more than once. Also, it really easy to fold up and it is easy to get in and out of the trunk. We have the Graco Snugride infant seat and have used the travel system feature as well. This is especially great when she is sleeping and yet the stroller is lightweight and just pops in and out of the trunk with very little effort. Can you tell I like my stroller? :-)

Veronica
Mom to Eva 6-12-03

marybliss
10-29-2003, 12:06 PM
We have the 2002 model Combi US... you can't beat how many features you get in such a light-weight stroller. One thing I was surprised with when I got mine was a couple of extra features I didn't see on the specs. First of all, there's extra fabric tucked underneath the seat that can velcroe around the napper bar. It makes a nice little bassinet for when the baby's young (can't wiggle out through any openings). Also, there are leg extensions on the seat. Kinda cool!

Mary

vpalmer
10-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Mary,

We have the same model Combi and I had not even noticed the extra fabric tucked under the seat. Since DD is about to outgrow the infant carrier I will definitely check that out. What a great feature.

Thanks!

Veronica
Mom to Eva 6-12-03

Susann
10-29-2003, 04:50 PM
I have both of them. I really loved the Ultra Savvy when my baby was little. But she outgrew it around 18 mos. The back of the seat is very short and that's mainly a problem when she tries to nap.
I love the Quest even more, but it's not really a good choice for a newborn - it's so open. It steers much better than the Combi and weights about the same.
I think you should get the Combi or similar for the baby and when she is bigger, get something else.

Susann

ps. I don't know about the Combi as a walking stroller: I took mine to Aurstralia and in two weeks the wheels were ruined. The Combi is more for indoors use.

jegossma
10-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks, Susann. Were you able to use the Quest beyond 18 months? How did the wheels hold up on that stroller?

temple
10-29-2003, 08:09 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I am in the same predicament as you. I also live in a DC suburb and have talked with many local stores about the Combi strollers and walking. We want the Combi Savona PM rather than the Ultra Savvy. I have been told by more than one person that Combi strollers are horrible for neighborhood walks because of the wheels - especially if the walk is for daily exercise rather and occasional leisurely walk. We are tossing around the idea of buying a 2nd stroller that can remain in the garage and be mostly used for walks but is portable enough to take out and about, if needed. Lots of people have recommended the In Step Safari TT stroller which costs about $135.00. I plan to go this weekend to investigate some more. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Depending on where in the area you live, I highly recommend Great Beginnings in Gaithersburg. Their staff knows more about strollers than any other store that I have been to . They can also help you pick out strollers that best suit your lifestyle and fit into your price range. (I definatley recommend G. B because I have spoken with people at Buy Buy Baby, Babies 'r Us, and Toys 'r Us, and they didn't know nearly as much about the strollers.)

Good luck with your search. I've very interested in what you find out.

Temple

Susann
10-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I think the Quest would work from about 12 mos and up, i.e. when the baby has outgrown her infant seat. My 7-yr-old (42lbs, 46") takes sometimes a short ride and she fits comfortably.

But anyway, what I'm saying is that some people (like me) want a baby to be more protected for the first months and especially during the winter months on the East coast.

I don't think any stroller with such small wheels is good as a walking stroller (although I'm sure the wheels on the Quest would hold up better). For walks you want bigger wheels: at least 8" if you only walk on paved roads but 12" or bigger if you also go off road (lawns, sand).

I understand that you want to register for your babyshower, but what I think would be smart, is that you got before the baby is born just the infant car seat carrier and the Quest (or Combi) for indoor use. Later, when the baby is born and you have had her awhile, you have a better picture of what you really need. Or if you think you want to start walking right away, try to find a nice walking stroller and leave the quick errand/ indoor stroller for later. You can also use the universal car seat carrier for your walks to get an idea how it feels to walk with a stroller with such small wheels (6").

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more

Says Susann (with her 26 strollers).
http://pages.ivillage.com/susann_t

ps. I should have asked for help before shopping :-)
pps. The stroller I have liked most, is the Quest.

ethansmom
10-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Well, I have to say I'm a bit surprised to hear the negative remarks about the US when used outdoors. I purchased the US as my only stroller and have been very happy with it. It's great for errands, and I used it this spring and summer when I walked the neighborhood for exercise. I should add that we have fairly level sidewalks.

calebsmama03
10-31-2003, 01:38 PM
How is the canopy on the US? Does it come all the way down to the napper bar (like the pliko)? I'm deciding between these two.
Thanks
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Susann
10-31-2003, 02:18 PM
The Peg Peregos are the only stollers where the canopy comes so far down. I've heard the next years Zippys are going to be the same way. But the canopy comes down to the napperbar only when the seat is upright.
In the Peg Perego, I mean.
Susann