PDA

View Full Version : Which stroller is best after outgrowing infant seat / universal carrier?

newmom9
10-30-2003, 03:07 AM
My dd is 26.5" at 4 month, so I need to go to next step. I'm going to buy Marathan car seat (as recommended by many here), but am overwhelmed by stroller choices. I already have a jogger, and am looking for something LIGHT, easy to fold and open, comfy for dd, and with canopy for sun protection. It'll be used everyday for shopping and light walking around town and park. Oh, storage basket would be nice, too. I'm open to umbrella strollers, also. Thanks.

jesseandgrace
10-30-2003, 10:00 AM
My dd is also 26.5 inches and 20 pounds at four months. I am not ready to take her out of the infant seat :(. I think you would do fine with any lightweight stroller that has a good basket and a recline. At four months, the recline feature will be very important. I have never had a peg, but they are very popular, and so are the Maclarens. I also think the new Inglesina Zippy for 2004 sounds perfect. If you can hold off and use just your jogger for another six weeks or so the Silver Cross camden comes out, and that also sounds like what you are describing. Do you have a price range?

The really light weight strollers like the Mac Volo are not good for a four month old because there is no recline. I know my daughter only wants to sit upright, but the recline is still a good option for little babies.

Good luck.

momofboys
10-30-2003, 10:43 AM
In the past I have had 2 Plikos which I will not purchase again because they became rickety & hard to steer as soon as my babies became a little older. My newest purchase was a Maclaren Techno which I used for my 4 year old until he reached the weight limit. I bought it when the first Techno introduced, not sure what year. I will be using the Techno again when we outgrow our Kolcraft UCSC, but at 13.5 lbs, my 4 month old ds still has a way to go. My Techno wheels very smoothly & is easily steered with one hand. I took it out of storage recently & took off the fabric to wash. The stroller looks as ggod as new (well.... almost). The hood protected nicely from the sun & has a storage pocket in the back. The basket is a little on the skimpy side (Oh, I LOVE the UCSC basket) and is hard to reach when the seat is reclined, but you CAN hang stuff from the handlebars, just balance the weight to prevent tipping. I think the stroller weighs around 11lbs. It is quite light & easy to fold but it does NOT stand when folded. I don't know what improvements were made on the newer edition Technos, but I'm sure many moms here will know.

allofakindfamily
10-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Your daughter sounds about the same size/age as mine. I would recommend a Peg P3 if you are looking for something for shopping and walks. It's a decent midweight stroller with nice padding, recline and fold. I looked at the Techno but I thought it was too heavy. The stats say it's similar in weight to the P3 but something about it just seemed heavier. Lots of people love them though. You might want to think of it another way though - With DD #1 and 2 I did a similar stroller combination to what you are talking about here. One bigger type (jogger in your case) and I had a Pliko. I used the Pliko constantly and it was great. This time I've chosen a different path - not necessarily better - just different and something to consider. I have a large, comfy pram-like stroller for malls, long walks, and other things when she might want to lay down or sleep. I happen to have a Culla - which is a pram with a bassinet and a seat but since you are getting past the newborn stage you could do the same thing with a Milano or other full featured stroller. It's got a full recline into a carriage and a reversible handle so you can see the baby. I still really like that even up to a year or more. It's a bit heavier of a stroller - the Milano is 23 lbs and the Venezia (similar features) is 17lbs (only 2lbs more than the P3). Then for the quick trips or where you want a really light stroller I have a Volo. I am seriously in love with this stroller. It's only 8 lbs and has a carrying handle. It doesn't have any recline but it's a hammock-like seat so it does cradle the baby well. My daughter just turned 5 months and is fine in it. I use it for short trips and places where a small stroller is critical - like the doc office or gymnastics class for my older girls etc. Just some ideas

Hope this helps
Heather

stillplayswithbarbies
10-31-2003, 12:09 PM
when I did the research, I decided that the Chicco Ponee was a good replacement for the UCSC. But then I decided that I didn't really want an equal replacement, I wanted something better. The UCSC was really only good indoors and I wanted something that would be an all-purpose stroller. I ended up with a Teutonia Toni.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

calebsmama03
10-31-2003, 01:43 PM
How do you like the Toni? I've heard some bad things about it collapsing? I tried to check it out at BRU but the no longer have it.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03