PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need a stroller for a new baby in Feb. and a toddler!

brownay2
10-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi! Found this list somehow. I am looking for a double stroller.I wanted to get a stadium seatin one because of the ease of width especially at craft fairs, fairs and getting into tight hallways. I thought this would be my last resort for people to help me. Is the side by side better? Or the front and back models better?
This is what I am looking for in whatever stroller I chose:
~Big roomy basket(s)
~Big nubby all terrain wheels for gravel, stone
~Alot of padding!
~Ease of folding, and putting in car
~Car seat adaptable if there is such a thing.
~Big hood
~Good manueverability!
I know this seems like alot but if I am to purchase a stoller it will bhave to be one that has these things.
One more thing, I think I stated when the time come when I am going to use this sroller my girl will be 19 months and she is a squirmy one! And the new baby boy on the way! Please help me find one! Thanks Nay Can email privatly or on here- [email protected] Thanks!

Momof3Labs
10-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Have you searched this board for info on double strollers? I think that you will find quick answers to lots of your questions, in addition to what people will post under your thread!

hardysmom
10-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Most people on this Board prefer SBS strollers over tandems. Generally, they are much more manueverable, even in tight spaces. Most are narrow enough for any doorway/hall. The key is to make sure it is less than 30" wide. Some, like the Mountain Buggy Urban, are not much wider than many tandem strollers. Many are much lighter than tandems, have more "uspscale" features, and there are many more choices for all-terrain uses.

So far as tandems go, the most popular choices are the Peg Peregos or Graco. The Pegs (Tender Twin and Duette) are expensive, but very plush; however, they are heavy. The Graco DuoGlider isn't one of those fabulous, most-cherished type of strollers, but for the money it is OK. It is also pretty darn bulky and awkward to push as the baby grows. I wouldn't want to push a Graco on super-rough surfaces. So far as carseats, the Peg only "officially" accepts Peg carseats. There is an attractive Jeep tandem I've seen at BRU, but I don't know much about quality. The only one I have heard a lot of negatives regarding (even when compared to less expensive strollers) is the Eddie Bauer double.

I guess the big question I would ask is whether it is more important for you to have something with big tires, something that folds compactly, or something that is narrow for indoor uses...

If the wheels are the priority, I would not rule out SBSs as they are much better in this respect.

If the fold is a big deal, be aware that tandems tend to be pretty big folded. You might consider also getting a umbrella style double for those times when space is really a premium.

Stephanie

strollerfreak
10-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Personally from my experiences, most craft shows are moving away from allowing strollers at them and even as a stroller lover I can understand why. If I have to take my kids to the craft show with me I backpack one and put the other in the baby bjorn...I end up wearing 50lbs of kid!! 99% of the time though I manage to at least get rid of one kid (preferably the big one).

So...that said, you may want to focus more on your everyday needs, not the "extras", unless you don't take regular trips to the mall, etc.

Also from my experience, your needs change as the second baby gets older.

But my main recommendation for you would be to get an older Maclaren Opus Duo. Manufactured 1998-2001 years are good...stay away from the 2002's as they had width issues. Not only will you save some money buying used, but the quality will actually be BETTER as these will have been made in the UK instead of China.

The ease of use at all points is great with the Maclaren.

However, many people (not the ones here though, since they've been introduced to "bigger & better") are quite content with their Graco DuoGliders and Kolcraft/Jeep Tandems. No matter what STAY FAR FAR AWAY from the Eddie Bauer Tandem...it is a BEAST no matter HOW you look at it.

Hope this helps somewhat...

Susann
10-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, if I could do it over.... My kids are 16 mos apart and I thought that I can't live without a double stroller. The first few months the otherwise very easygoing baby, would not be in the stroller. She screamed until I took her up and carried her in the BabyBjorn. And she was a baby that never cried.
Anyway, when the baby finally was ok with strollers, I already knew that I wanted something more compact and lightweight. So my advice is to get the stroller after the baby is born and after you know what your needs are after all.

Susann

lmintzer
10-31-2003, 07:22 PM
I'm also in the market for a double for a baby and and an (older) toddler. After extensive reseach, I think I'm going to go with the Peg Perego Aria Twin, a side-by-side model. Despite the fact that it doesn't take a carseat like many of the tandems do, I just can't deal with something big and heavy. The Peg Aria Twin weighs only 14 lbs. and has a huge single basket. My toddler fits in it well (better than in the Combi Twin or the Maclaren Twin) and the stroller pushes very easily. I guess it's a personal preference thing--I know I won't much be feeling like dragging something heavy around when I'm sleep-deprived.

I would recommend doing a search on doubles--most people who posted here seem to prefer the side-by-sides. Some strollers that have met with acclaim here are the Mountain Buggy Urban Double, the Peg Aria Twin, and some of the older Maclaren double models.

Best of luck with your new baby--and with your stroller decision.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Little brother-to-be, e.d.d., 12/15/03