PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the new version of the Kolcraft UCSC?

linjme
11-05-2003, 12:33 PM
I've tried to read the previous posts on this stroller but I couldn't find this exact question covered. I know that the new model doesn't "lock" anymore like the old version did (just sits on the frame and only the strap holds it). It also seems like a lot of people are getting the Snap N Go instead of the UCSC because of this change.
What I'd like to find out is do people that have the new version like it? I've played with it in the store (with the Snugfit) and it just doesn't seem secure enough. This is my first baby so I don't know if I'm being overcautious or if this new design isn't safe. I'd like to think that they wouldn't have made a change that made the stroller less safe, but I'm sure it happens.
Thanks for your help!

momofboys
11-05-2003, 01:01 PM
I love mine! After strapping in the carseat, you must put the handle of the car sear all the way back behind the baby. The front of the seat rests on a wire type thingie that holds it too. I am 5'9", so i liked the extra height of thr ucsc & the huge basket is wonderful. When i tried it the first time, i too thought it seemed wobbly, but now my 4 yr old takes the baby for "walks" in the house & the seat is very sturdy & has never even come close to tipping.

nyccindy
11-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi--
I had the universal carrier that i purchased last summer (2002). i don't think it "locked" but i could be wrong. I was really happy with this and never felt like it was unstable or anything but i did always use the strap that buckles the car seat into the carrier. the car seat has a little orange level in the back that kind of clips onto the back bar so you need to push that in to lift it out (but i don't think this is what you mean by locking?)

i loved this carrier, it has a great suspension and big basket, and i loved the way this pushed especially compared with the Venezia PP (the stroller i graduated to after and during using the Kolcraft). the kolcraft pushes more like my maclaren, and goes easily over cracks in the sidewalk etc... it looks nicer than the snap and goes i see on the street, but those may have been updated more recently that i don't know about.

hope this helps!!

linjme
11-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the information. The "clip onto the back bar" is what I meant by locking. The new version just has a plastic shelf instead of that metal bar so the car seat clip doesn't clip on anymore. The plastic feet from the car seat just rest on the shelf now. I'm looking for a used version that clips like yours, but wanted to find out if the new model worked ok too.
Thanks!

linjme
11-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Have you tried it on curbs yet? My husband tried to simulate going up a curb in the store and it seemed like the car seat might tip foward at the head end when you did this (the plastic feet of the car seat seemed to lift up off the plastic shelf on the stroller). This was with an empty car seat and I'm wondering if the weight of an actual baby would make it stay on the frame, or come up even higher off it.
Thanks for your help!