PDA

View Full Version : Mac Quest OR P3?

my2boys
11-09-2003, 01:50 PM
I'm currently looking for a second stroller for my 6 month old. I currently have a Graco travel system which is great but too heavy for getting in and out my suv. I'm considering buying a lightweight stroller but I'm having a hard time in choosing between the Quest and P3. The things I like about the Mac is that it's lighter than the P3 and It's easy to manuever. The things I like about the P3 is that it seems to have better cushioning for baby. It has a snack tray (that is removable). Is this snack tray even necessary for infants? I'm having a hard time choosing which one would be more suitable for me and more comfortable for baby. Please help me in deciding.

bubbaray
11-09-2003, 05:13 PM
OK, I'm going out on a limb here, but I would not chose a Mac. Perhaps I would if I was living in a large city and using subways/buses, but for suburban/car use, I think you can get a better stroller at a cheaper price than a Mac.

I looked at the P3, various Macs (including the Quest) and the 2003 Pliko (which, yes they do still make, the P3 has NOT replaced the Pliko).

We decided to go with the Pliko. I didn't like some of the "updates" on the P3 and we thought there was too much plastic for us. The Quest (and frankly all the Macs we saw) seemed too narrow and not very well cushioned for an infant. We also didn't like how close they were to the ground in comparison to the Peg Peregos and the Zippy.

I am happy with our choice of the Pliko. If the price had been equal, I would have bought the Zippy over the Pliko. We live in Canada and the Zippy was almost $200 more than the Pliko. However, I think you can get better prices on the Zippy in the US than here. The Zippy has a MUCH better fold than any of the Macs or the P3/Pliko. The Zippy also holds a Graco car seat (and other brands too), whereas the P3 and Pliko only hold PP car seats. The Mac Quest doesn't hold a car seat, only the Mac Global does. The Zippy weighs about the same as a Pliko (the P3 is a pound heavier), but the Zippy maneouvers better. I like the Zippy basket better too. I also LOVE the 2003 Zippy colors, especially Cookie!!

Having said all of the above, we are planning on getting a Mac Volo for travel use later on. Or we might consider a Chicco at that time.

I'm sure you will get lots of feedback on your question. Good luck with your decision!

Melissa

pamela mom of 3
11-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Well having owned both the P3 and the quest...this would fall down to whether you intend on replacing the graco altogether or are after a 2nd stroller for travel errands etc.

The P3 is considered a mid weight model, it is a workable size/weight if you want it as the one and only stroller but as strictly an errand model/2nd i would consider it a bit much.

Comfort wise you can always add an extra pad to the maclaren...

Why i like the quest is 1.light about 11/12lbs 2. steers easily 3.fast and easy to fold 4.overall size is quite managable in compact/tight places.

I have used reclining macs for my son when he was 5mths old as errand models, i am not fond of them as full time strollers for infants but as a 2nd stroller they are a good choice.

As to the P3 itself if you want to replace the graco and just have one stroller do-it-all it's a pretty good choice, plush seat, high weight limit, good hood and the overall size is not too large at 21in wide. Although i know some are not as fond of the P3 more plastic look as others call it, the steering is much improved and so is the basket size, their are also other little differences here and there too. I have also had the older plikos too so i am comparing from experience. By 2004 the regular pliko style non P3 ones built on the frame update from 1999 will most likely no longer be made, perego has done this "new style" old style still available before in 2000 when they only had a few ganciomatic carriages yet by 2001 they were all switched to this format. So you maybe able to get a pliko hood as it is called for less money as the 2003 line wears down..but i would test drive the steering difference between the two, for some it hasn't been an issue for others it's very important.

GL and HTH :)

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

my2boys
11-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Wow! You've really done your homework on strollers. Thank you so much for the info. Even though I'm still torn between the two because of the weight difference. I think I'm going to go to the store this afternoon and test the two for the last time and make a decision. My intention is to make a decision on a stroller that I will not have to replace later on as the little one gets older.

Thanks a bunch,

Yasmin