PDA

View Full Version : Combi? Peg Aria? Chicco? Help??!!

acrosen
11-12-2003, 12:16 AM
New parents trying to choose second stroller after UCSC. We are due in early February and live in a D.C. subarb. This seems like the most confusing and frustrating portion of choosing stuff for baby so far...

We got a good infant car seat on loan from friends and would like to start off with the Kolcraft UCSC and then transition to a second stroller when baby outgrows infant car seat.

We would like something lightweight, relatively easy to fold/unfold that would also work well for neighborhood walks -- just sidewalks. And we were hoping to keep it <$200. Are we asking for the impossible?

We looked at a couple Combi models and also Peg Perego Aria. We also tried Inglisina Swift but my husband hated the two handles, so that sorta rules out MacLaren, although we haven't actually tried it. I've heard from several sales people that the Combi models don't work so well for outdoor strolls -- don't manuver well, wheels too small, tends to fall apart, etc. Also, the baskets seems tiny. They said the Aria's canopy is too short and when we tried in the store it felt a bit wobbly to me. Sales guy also showed us a Chicco Poni, which is an older model. It felt good when I test-drove it, but the fabric quality and construction just didn't seem good to me and the folding mechanism seems terrible. Also heard they have a model called London but haven't tried it.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated on any of these alternatives and would also welcome suggestions for other models that we may not have considered.

Also, I'm interested in people's opinion wrt UCSC. Good or not? We've also considered the Combi Savona PM for use from the get go, since it has an infant carset adapter. But because of what we heard of Combi and that the store really recommended the UCSC and the arguments for it made sense, we are leaning that way right now.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
Ann

Momof3Labs
11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
I'd recommend staying away from the Aria - it really isn't a good stroller for an infant, although it is fine for short trips with a toddler. It isn't very plush and doesn't offer many recline options, and there is no footrest that locks in a horizontal position. My son loves strollers but hates this one!

Have you looked at the Inglesina Zippy or the Peg Perego P3? They are both very nice strollers, a few pounds heavier than the ones you mentioned but sooooo much more comfortable for baby (and that is important!!).

Since you aren't due until February, why not wait a few more months until the new models come out - there are supposed to be some great options coming along, like the Silver Cross Camden.

hardysmom
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't want a Combi for neighborhood walks.

The other strollers you are trying are OK for fast errand running/car strollers, but personally, I think a small baby would be happier in something a little larger. Not huge, but say, a mid-weight like a Pliko/P3/Chicco 2002/Zippy which would also be substantial enough for outdoor walks. All of these can be found $150-$225. Most mid-sized strollers (16-18 lbs) have 2 handles, but they are generally the most flexible and maneuverable (besides Macs), even with one hand.

A lot depends on when your baby outgrows the UCSC and if you plan to use a stroller w/o the carseat for walking... If you are both working parents who won't stroll much, plan to sling/wear the baby, and/or don't plan to go outside very often until spring you might want to hold off on the purchase until the stroller is actually needed... it is SUCH an advantage to be able to take your baby stroller shopping. Every kid (and parent) is different. If you don't need a stroller until 6 months, you may have totally different needs that with a newborn or 3 mo. old infant.

Stephanie

Bsuperbmom
11-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Tho the UCSCs can be handy Please consider getting something that reclines further for longer trips for your NB. That's what is handy about strollers that can do both. If you are just running in for a min- and the babe is sleeping pop the seat on, but if you will be gone longer you need something that the babe can be flatish in. There have been some breathing concerns and head shape issues...the infant seat is really not ideal for the baby to be too much of the time.

I have been looking at these strollers but for a much older baby, one thing none of them is going to be fantastic on those DC area hills and sidewalks.

I like Lori's sugestions true they will bump you up a bit but you will get so much more-what car seat do you have? I think I read that you can get away with putting the Snugride in a P3. I really like mine. I plowed along with it today in very windy weather and I was so pleased.

Combi is iffy- strange CS but I did like a Combi I had last year...i have been boycotting them but am strongly considering the Savona. If the majority of your trips are inside it may work.

Waiting is a good idea...the P3 may go down in price and there are a lot of nice strollers coming for 2004. Have you seen the Zopper line?

acrosen
11-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Thank you very much to all of you that responded to my question. That was immensly helpful!!

Based on the feedback it seems that likely candidates for consideration would be P3 and Zippy. (Although not sure how to get DH to like the two handles type stroller). Combi is definitly out.

And... you really got me interested in checking out the Silver Cross Camden. It looks sooooo cool! :-) I can't wait to hear reviews from the first people who get these! How long are those waiting lists anyway??? Would I need to get on one now to get mine by February??

Thanks again!
Ann

Momof3Labs
11-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Ann, how much stroller pushing will your DH do? Most of them don't do much unless they are SAHDs. Just something to think about when picking a stroller that HE likes over one that YOU like!

gisele
11-14-2003, 03:44 AM
If you are considering the P3, and you don't like umbrella handles, I'd suggest looking at the Peg Atlantico. It weighs the same, has one handle, manuvers well with one hand, and is great outside on sidewalks.

acrosen
11-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Lori,

Thanks for your thoughts. Interesting point... DH is not going to be SAHD. On the other hand, I am also planning on going back to work after a period. So at least theoretically we would have roughly equal opportunity to push the stroller, no? Besides I am sure I will never hear the end of it if I "override" his preference. I would like for him to feel an equal partner in this decision. And besides, why give him an "excuse" not to take the baby on walks... lol!

Incidentally, I sorta see his point about one handle, but I don't feel as strongly about disliking two.

Thanks again,
Ann

acrosen
11-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Hi Gisele,

Thanks for the great suggestion! I didn't even know this model exists -- did not see it in the stores. But I was now able to find it online and it looks like a very interesting option for us. And it doesn't seem to cost much more than the P3.

What's the basket size on the Atlantico? I assume it has full recline?

Doesn't work with Greco Snugride car seat does it?

Thanks again!
Ann

gisele
11-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi Ann,

I don't know the dimensions of the basket, but it works OK for me, I usually put my diaper bag and purse in there. It does have full recline.

I have heard people use the Graco Snugride with the Perego strollers. I think it can sit in there; see if you can find a place that has an Atlantico and try it out yourself. I have the Perego carseat myself.