PDA

View Full Version : If you take the bus, what stroller do you use?...m

MamaKath
11-13-2003, 10:13 PM
I went on a field trip with DD today. Spur of the moment thing, took the Pliko. Picture me- kids bundled up, baby in sling, diaper bag falling off the shoulder, coat over me and baby, pliko folded up and being half carried, holding dd's hand because she is line leader (I think this was for the sheer purpose of giving the other moms a chuckle as they watched this performance). Get to the front of the bus, stop to ask the driver her name (since we didn't last time, and dh asked, lol) and board. I couldn't fit down the aisle with the pliko in hand! I finally hoist it near my head to follow my 4 year old to her favorite seat in the VERY WAY BACK of the school bus. I must have been a sight to see. I know it was even worse on the trip back to the school, as I was juggling the coats as well since it was too much of a hassle to put them back on.

We have had to go on buses before, not school buses though. Those times we have actually used a pram, and they put it underneath; in Disney World we used the Kiwi, and had no problems, but the seats are set up differently [than a school bus anyway] and most of the buses were not crowded so it wasn't an issue.

I am working on a Volo which I know would work for quicker trips like this, but I am wondering about folks who live in the city and have kids who still nap in the stroller, etc. I am thinking most folks use Macs, but what about some of the others Combi, Aprica, etc. I am just thinking that for stuff like this the Pliko is way to big as my "lightweight".What do you use if you ride the bus?

TIA

partyof5
11-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Kath,

I know exactly how you felt. I went with Isabella on a field trp to the zoo and I still had a hard time juggling even with my Volo! I really think they need to make the aisles wider in school buses, lol! I don't remember them being that small. When we sat in the bus, there was only a couple of inches between my knees and the seat in front of me.

Okay, back to strollers. The problem I had with the Volo was that I kept worrying about the hood falling off and it was hard for me to fold the stroller because of the padding I put on (now I might have assembled it incorrectly, I was in a rush that day). Plus, it would have been nice to have a recline. I would skip the Volo and just go with the Quest unless you don't need the Volo accessory pack. I'm pretty sure you could just rig a Combi carrying strap to a Quest too.
One other thing that bothers me about Macs is the tippiness. Whenever Isabella got out so that I could take a picture of her, the whole stroller would tip back because of the weight of the diaper bag.

As for Combis, I had a Combi Savvy Z which I liked alot because it was so lightweight and the seats were plusher than the ones on the Macs but my daughter outgrew it too quickly. Once her feet could touch the tires, it was a chore to push. I'm not sure what the new Combis are like though but I think they're worth looking at. HTH!

~Cindy mommy to...
Isabella (11/1999)
Sophia (10/2001)
Ethan (4/2003)

C99
11-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Chicco Caddy is my stroller of choice for public transportation. In general, Nate won't nap in the stroller, but he has fallen asleep in the Caddy once no problem. It's fairly easy to fold one handed and is v. small and narrow when folded, so it fits well in aisles. I would imagine that the Mac Volo also has these properties, but I don't have one so I can't comment.

Sarah1
11-16-2003, 11:38 AM
We live in the city and use the Volo whenever we ride the subway or bus. It is only 8 lbs, and I can close/open/carry it and hold DD at the same time. It also folds very narrowly so it's easy to take through small openings.

I haven't had the problem w/the hood (which you buy w/the accessory pack) snapping off, although that sometimes happens when we gate check it at the airport and the attendants manhandle it.

Audrey does not nap in the stroller but she definitely is very comfy in the Volo.

HTH!