PDA

View Full Version : Would you recommend buying stoller online?

acrosen
11-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi,

What are the positives/negatives of buying stroller on-line in your experience? Overall, would you recommend it? If so, what are some good sites? I know I've seen a lot of positive comments about "arunningstroller". Any others?

My concerns are obviously around buying a stroller "sight unseen", about needing to ship the stroller back if needed and about being "on my own" and dealing with the manufacturer directly in case problems arise with the stroller later on. e.g. Our local Buy Buy Baby will take care of you and give you a "replacement stroller" while they are working with the manufacturer to get your stroller fixed, parts delivered, etc.

On the positive side it seems like some strollers are only available online and prices appear to be better at times.

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Ann

brittone2
11-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Well, I'm still waiting on my stroller, which should be here tuesday or wednesday of this week. Thanks to all the great recommendations, I also ordered from Marilyn at arunningstroller.com. The plus side of ordering online from someone like Marilyn is that she (others will do this as well) will match the lowest price you find online in most cases. So, you can't go wrong price-wise. Some sites charge shipping, arunningstroller.com doesn't, but you should see what shipping adds to the total cost before ordering anywhere online (if they do charge shipping). I would also recommend that you order from an authorized retailer. Again, Marilyn is an authorized retailer, as are many other online sites. I think buying from an authorized retailer offers some more protection should you have a problem w/ the stroller. Marilyn offers a satisfaction guarantee on her site. I'm not sure how she is with "mediating" any problems that may arise or if you have to go directly to the manufacturer to get them handled. I'm sure someone else will know more about that though.
I personally probably would not have bought a stroller that I couldn't see IRL. I researched and narrowed down my options to the Peg P3 and the Inglesina Zippy. I played with both at actual brick and mortar stores. The new zippys are not out at any of my local retailers yet, but DH and I looked at the 03s, made sure the handle height was okay, checked out the different features, etc. I researched and found out the improvements w/ the 04s and knew that the "base" of the stroller was essentially the same as the 03s, so I felt comfortable making my decision based on looking at the 03s.
Good luck to you!!

Beth

hardysmom
11-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Prices online are generally quite a bit better than in my local stores... Many sites have excellent customer service and will take care of you. I've never had a problem.

I guess the most important thing is to research before you buy so that the stroller you want actually fits your needs and isn't heavier/weirder/more difficult/lower quality than you expected...

Find a stroller you like and then ask about the retailers. You probably won't find one that no one has used.

Stephanie

momathome
11-17-2003, 04:03 PM
I ordered my P3 from babycatalog.com and had a great experience. Their prices are low and shipping is free on a majority of the items. I ordered on a Wednesday and received it on Saturday. See if you can try out the stroller you are interested in IRL and then search online to get the best price that you can. Good luck!
-Lauren

stillplayswithbarbies
11-17-2003, 04:26 PM
I've saved a lot of money buying strollers online. I have not had to deal directly with a manufacturer, I've dealt with the company that sold me the stroller. They even sent me a loaner, which I ended up keeping instead of waiting for the other color to come in.

I can't think of one good reason to buy locally as opposed to online, unless you run into a great clearance sale or something. But then you have to figure in sales tax.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jd11365
11-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Yes, from Marilyn at arunningstroller.com!

This is a link to people on this board who absolutely love her...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=25622&mesg_id=25622&page=2

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Sarah1
11-17-2003, 11:50 PM
I ordered my Volo online from indoorsandoutdoors.com.

I think as long as you KNOW you want that particular stroller, it's great to buy online, since it's usually cheaper.

acrosen
11-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks you everybody for sharing your experience and thoughts!

I am much encouraged now to buy a stroller online. I just need to do a bit more "in person" research at the retail stores before I am ready to order and then I'll probably call Marylin.

Thanks again!
Ann

Jen in Chicago
11-19-2003, 01:16 PM
We had an EXCELLENT experience with buys ours from Stinkybaby.com

We had ours within a week of ordering and they were able to answer a number of my quesitons about the 2002 vs 2003 model of the Zippy.

my2boys
11-19-2003, 10:57 PM
I would definitely order online as long as I've tested the stroller in person. Ordering online usually comes out cheaper. I ordered my '04 Zippy from Marilyn (arunningstroller.com). I had several questions about the stroller and she was more than happy in answering all of my questions (I must have emailed her at least 10 times). She has such a good rep on this board. My experience with her has been great. The stroller arrived as promised and on time.

Yasmin

jackntomsmom
11-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Ann,
I have bought a couple of strollers online and just wanted to warn you about a particular website called babyride.com. DO NOT buy your stroller from them, they have terrible customer service. I bought a stroller from them and when it arrived I opened it only to discover that I had ordered the wrong stroller. Don't ask me how I did this but I did. Anyway, you have to email for return authorization which I did and I was not given an authorization. They basically told me that once I opened it I was keeping it. The only way they accept a return is if it is defective (which you can only find out by opening the box). I did however buy the stroller that I wanted from arunningstroller.com and Marilyn is fantastic and very helpful. I also bought a snuzzler for my jogger. Hope this helps.