PDA

View Full Version : Some ? for Mountain Buggy owners...

tarahsolazy
11-20-2003, 07:31 PM
I have used this great forum, as well as the BB book and the ivillage boards to research strollers for my first baby, coming this Feb. While I clearly understand that no stroller can "do it all", I think I'm coming close to choosing the MBUS, as you all call it. I think it would be great because we would be using it mostly outside, not much mall/store use, and would want to be able to use it on easy trails. I am also a runner (or was until this pregnancy temporarily intervened), and would like to use the MBUS for some easy 30-60 min jogs with the baby after the kid gets big enough. I had initally planned on buying a Zooper Sport or Zippy, then adding a potentially spendy jogger later, if I wanted to run with junior. I'm wondering if the MBUS can be used for easy running. I also wonder if it works well in airports and in those malls/stores, or if its just too big. Also, does the recline work pretty well? I don't mind the supposed lack of padding. I've never seen one IRL, but I found a dealer in the next state (30min drive) who carrys them, and am going to play with it tommorrow. I'm excited! It just looks cool, you know... I have to admit that due to superstition, I haven't even chosen or ordered a crib yet, but I'm totally obsessed with the stroller thing!

Thanks

KathyO
11-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Stroller obsession is amazing, isn't it? And then there's stroller euphoria, when you actually get your hands on the one you've been drooling over... I am a low-maintenance gal who lives in a tiny house and drives second-hand cars, but you should have seen me strutting around with my new MBUS when it arrived!

I adore my MBUS. I use it mostly outside and on trails, as you plan to, although it also comes to the grocery store up the hill with me, and yes, we took it through airports on last year's odyssey to visit in-laws and catch my brother's wedding. It was great. And I would say that it's just great for easy jogging - serious speed freaks will probably want to look into a speedier jogger, as you say, but I have found it more than adequate to my purposes. They dug up our street all this summer, and the MBUS has plowed handily through terrain that looked like a movie set for a trench warfare flick. And yes, the recline is low-tech (a strap) but works just great for our purposes. I have used a "filler" to make the seat smaller/cushier when DD was little.

HTH - happy test-driving!

KathyO

pamela mom of 3
11-20-2003, 08:27 PM
My MBUS is my main stroller, it goes everywhere the mall, walks, wherever i require a stroller for my almost 3yo, i use a kiddyboard on the back of it for my 5yo.

Recline is very simple two straps and can be set at many angles..besides upright and deep recline. Comfort wise mine which is a 2003 has foam up the back i have plushed it up by adding a bowron sheepskin.

It's not the most compact of strollers being 26in the rear but you get used to it, i do enjoy the stability of it my daughter has ridden on the kiddyboard without anyone in front and no tipping.

I don't run with mine well on purpose..a quick chase after the youngest has occured lol ;) but i have used it in snow and various other types of terrain as i live rual.

I don't travel with 3 kids the mall is enough of an adventure for me
}( yet i do know others have here.

I would probably recommend when babe was older to have an umbrella stroller for a quick errand or tiny shop but that can be done pretty cheaply my son is more than happy to hop in his $20 kolcraft for this sort of thing.

Overall the mbus is great to push and my son will sleep in it which makes it worth gold to me ..lol :D

Good luck, a test drive as always is best with any stroller....

jojo2324
11-20-2003, 10:19 PM
It's a great stroller. I felt quite validated by it this past summer, at a local carnival that was set up on a sandy beach...All of these strollers, from Peg Peregos to Kolcraft umbrellas to Maclarens, all of them were struggling like mad to wheel through the sand...I just whizzed on by.

I can't attest to the jogging bit, because I don't. (I SWORE with the purchase I WOULD, LOL.) But I have used it as my primary stroller for about six months. At times it is a bit wide for some stores, but that's because they are cramped themselves. It's great for walks. I've used it in NYC and Boston, and it was a bit much there. Also, I was fearful of the tires popping on some stray nail or something. (Happened with my Bertini in an NYC department store...NOT fun!!) But I have used it in airports with little difficulty...As little as you can expect traveling alone with a toddler, car seat, security, etc! :)

For extra padding, I have a sheepskin insert that makes it a bit more cushy. One problem I've found is that it reclines a bit too much for DS' liking, even when it's fully upright. He like to see out, so strains. KathyO suggested a piece of foam to level out the recline, which, admittedly, I haven't done yet. I think that would be a good solution.

I did just get a lightweight umbrella for quick errands and for future trips into the city.