PDA

View Full Version : Is now the right time to buy the 2003 Techno XT?

proudnewmama2002
11-21-2003, 10:44 PM
I went to Buy Buy Baby this evening and checked out the entire Mac line, plus the Inglesina Swift and then hopped over to Babies R Us to check out the Eurotrend strollers (busy evening!) Much to my surprise, I think I've settled on the Techno XT (I had really hoped to spend less). I am lured by the fact that the seat back is higher and very slightly wider than on any of the other strollers and the handles extend higher. DS is already off the charts on height at 11 months, is already 26+ pounds (which rules out the Swift for all practical purposes) and DH is 6'5". So my experience has generally been that biggest in class is best. This stroller will be in addition to my Peg Venezia which we love, but is heavy, and can still be used for all-day outings and mall-crawling or when I need his Busy Bug Bar to keep him occupied!

That said, is now the best time to buy the 2003 Techno XT? Buy Buy Baby said they would be marking them down from $289 beginning in December. However, I have found one for $235 online with free shipping. Do you think I'd do any better by waiting? I have the impression a lot of places are out of stock on them. Is there any benefit to waiting for a 2004 and having to pay full price? And does this sound like the right kind of stroller for quick errands, knowing that the Venezia (and my Instep Safari TT) are there for longer or outdoor trips?

Thanks!

Xariklia
11-22-2003, 09:33 PM
I just bought the techno xt from buy buy baby at full price. I was too worried to wait because what if they were out of stock? the 2004 models i heard will not have the sun visor and will be called something else, the classic I think. And the colors are different. I know that when I see the xt for sale it will hurt, but I'm the kind of person that can't wait unfortunately. good luck

kwc
11-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Wow, 26 lbs!!!
I don't have any insight into whether or not this is the best time to buy, but if you think you want it, I just got mine yesterday from Marilyn at A Running Stroller. I've only taken it out today, but my 3 month old seemed to like it over our bumpy sidewalks.
I think there was a thread elsewhere on the changes for the 2004 (maybe doesn't have flip down visor on shade?) and I'm not sure when the new line comes out... maybe Feb?

I originally thought I'd get a P3 as I was not thrilled with the reports of Maclaren's crummy customer service, but Marilyn has apparently just started carrying them again this year and has had better luck with their customer service (seems they gave a her a "direct line/ email" to CS) so I am glad I bought it from her. She will price match anything you have, and she had iris and denim blue in stock (I got charcoal and it took a few extra days) for $260; I also wanted the Protect-a-Bub shade so she gave me both for $289 shipped, a price I had seen elsewehere.

That said, I may be buying an Inglesina Swift for my parents (DD is only 12 lbs at 3 mos)...

Good luck!

Karen

Susann
11-25-2003, 09:52 PM
If you make a search for Maclaren 2004, you'll find a UK web page that has all the new models and colors.

Susann

ywolf
11-25-2003, 10:24 PM
What about buying it now and when it goes on sale rebuy and return it with the old reciept. You can return things at Buybuybaby and brs if it's unused.