PDA

View Full Version : Stroller & Travelling Questions (LONG)

debsw
11-24-2003, 12:07 PM
I am travelling in January and want to know what type of stroller all of you experts out there suggest I take. BTW - we are off to sunny Florida - no theme park visits but I plan on doing a fair bit of walking outside and most likely at the malls. FYI - I live in Canada, so a majority of the really good strollers I read about on this board are not available here.

Here are my options as to what to take.

1. My good, somewhat new Peg Perego Atlantico stroller. It's a great stroller, but somewhat bulky and does not fold down that small. DD however is very comfortable in it. It has all the bells and whistles, but I am nervous about it getting damaged on the plane and getting stolen if I have to leave it somewhere like a restaurant while we are eating or at an indoor play centre. I am over protective of this stroller. I know it's crazy, but I am sure there are people out there who steal nice things like this and then sell them on e-bay.

2. My small Combi Travel Stroller that I bought off a friend. This stroller is about 5 years old and it's ok. The seat is very low to the ground and the basket underneath is tiny. I use it for quick mall trips as well as for longer car trips, because it folds down long and skinny and does not take up much room in the trunk with all of our luggage. It does not have a cup holder for dd and the canopy is ok.
The wheels are not the greatest and it can be difficult to push.

3. Do I just go and buy a middle of the road stroller?

I need a fairly decent stroller that has good wheels, a canopy, decent size basket, ideally cup holders for dd and me as well as a seat that reclines part of the way. I also want something that folds up nicely. What do you suggest?

Any suggestions as to what to do would be much appreciated. One thing that I am toying with is buying a really cheap umbrella stroller (12.00) at Walmart and using it for the airport and most likely the first day that we are there. Then, I will buy a mid range stroller because the options are much better in the States. I could just go and buy a stroller at either Babies R Us, Target or Walmart. Then, I would give the Umbrella stroller away to Goodwill.

BTW - my Husband is coming with so he will carry the car seat through the airport. He is leaving earlier than me, so I will have a stroller, car seat, baby, carry on and purse with me when I come home.

Thanks so much,
Debbie

egoldber
11-24-2003, 01:46 PM
How old is your child? And do they occasionally nap in the stroller? If so, I'd bring a comfy one, like tha Atlantico. I always take the stroller that will be the best for use at my destination. You will manage in the airport, but your child will be riding in the stroller a LOT when you are traveling.

HTH,

hardysmom
11-24-2003, 02:22 PM
I took my Zippy to Florida last year and it was great. DS was 16 mo. The easy fold and ability to self stand was great for running around, restaurants, hotel rooms. DS was 16 mo. It is a great all-around stroller- convenient, yet roomy enough for long rides. The 2004 canopy is said to be improved, which would be nice in the FL sun.

Stephanie