PDA

View Full Version : For bugaboo owners - need your advice

anutalp
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I've read all the threads about travelling with Bugaboo but still not sure what to do. Maybe you have some new experience to share?
This May I'll be travelling to Florida for 10 days. I have to take my bugaboo cause my baby will be only 2.5 month and he needs his bassinet. I want to buy a bugaboo bag. Do you suggest to check it or gate check it? I'm taking a carseat to the plane. I thought I would check the frame and use the stroller in the airport with carseat and adaptor and then gate check the base and wheels in a bag. What do you think about that?
Thanks,

sbaker
04-09-2004, 01:28 AM
I would definitely gate check it. I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting my Bugaboo to the conveyor belts and baggage handling people.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

anutalp
04-09-2004, 02:20 AM
I need some clarification - If I gatecheck it where does it go? And who handles it? Do they put it with a regular baggage or where?
Should I check it in a bugaboo bag? I read that it could be confused and go to the checked baggage. I have a connection so I don't want to stay w/o a stroller in the airport.
Thanks

sbaker
04-09-2004, 11:57 PM
When you gate check you leave the stroller on the jet bridge and an airline employee picks it up and loads it in cargo. It will be the first piece they unload and it will be waiting for you on the sky bridge when you get off the plane. Since it is hand loaded and delivered I think it is safer. Checked baggage has to travel thru a conveyor sorting system, get loaded onto a truck, and them loaded onto the airplane. I don't think the regular baggage people are very gentle with your checked baggage. That said I have not travelled with my Bugaboo. I have travelled with both my Macs. I have always put my strollers in a bag. It's a giant black canvas bag. DH says it looks more like a body bag than a stroller bag. It has always been waiting for me when we got off the plane. I have never had it be confused with checked baggage. When you check in at the gate tell them you want to gate check a stroller and they will give you a special tag to put on it, so that it can easily be identified as a gate checked item.
Does all that make sense? I know I'm rambling...

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

anutalp
04-10-2004, 01:10 AM
I got you, thanks a lot.
Now I have to buy a bag and a parasol since we're going to Florida.

pricetl
04-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I tried to check my bugaboo at check-in and they were going to make me pay extra for it, but I can't remember if it was the size or extra bag charge. The didn't charge me, but it made me nervous about travelling with it. I can't stand breaking it down, so gate checking it is a real pain. There are so many parts and I have to do it with my 3 y.o. and 1 y.o. running around. I travel a lot and for long periods of time, so like to have it with me, but so far it's been too much work. I'll search the archives for other advice...

tracy