PDA

View Full Version : which stroller to take into NYC for the Auto Show

stillplayswithbarbies
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
We'll be taking the train into NYC to go to the Auto Show at the Javits center, and I don't know which stroller to take. I have a Bertini Sport and Teutonia Toni. My baby is 1 year old and not walking on her own.

I think we can walk from Grand Central to the convention center? NYC mamas, does anyone know how far that is?

I called the Auto Show and they said it is crowded on weekends and I should use a backpack carrier for a baby. But I don't want to do that since she has never been in one before.

Is it better to take the Toni for manuverability? Or the Bertini for more basket space to carry stuff? I'm thinking if it is crowded, the bigger stroller will keep people from bumping into her because they will hit the stroller before they hit her, does that make sense?

Has anyone ever been to the Auto Show, am I foolish to even try to take a stroller at all?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mommieo5
04-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi If you can walk Id bring the bertini we like to bring our emma for all day outings as it serves as a home base so to speak it holds a ton of stuff I have been to javitz and I think you would do fine HTH have a good time laurie

Momof3Labs
04-12-2004, 09:58 PM
There's no way to carry her? I've been in very crowded conventions like that pre-baby and can't imagine trying to maneuver a stroller through the crowds. In fact, our biggest convention center doesn't allow strollers on the floor at all!

kec2003
04-13-2004, 12:31 AM
I second the carrying option, but would vote for the Bertini if you must bring a stroller. DH went with DS last year when he was 9 mos and brought the Zippy, but was frustrated with DS lower because people would almost knock him in the head with bags, etc. And it was CRAZY crowded -- watch out. He didn't bring DS this year because it would just be too overstimulating with the hordes.

I recommend the backpack option -- I carried DS at 14 months in one almost all day to watch NYC marathon that Daddy ran, and it was a lifesaver in those crowds. Plus, no one could touch him without my knowing about it and no accidental bumps. That said, it was not too convenient to get him a bottle or snack.

HTH!

Katharine
Mummy to Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I don't have a backpack carrier, but maybe we should go look at them tonight. I'm just afraid she will refuse to stay in it and we will end up carrying her in our arms.

I'm leaning towards taking the Bertini, so we can pack it up with snacks, diapers, etc. If it is too crowded, one of us can sit with the stroller off to the side somewhere perhaps. There will be three adults plus my 13 year old son with us, so maybe we can make it work.

Is there a subway line that goes from Grand Central to the Javits?

How do you take strollers on the subway, do you have to lift them over the turnstiles? I know there are stairs we would have to carry the stroller down/up but that's not a big deal. Do you just wheel the stroller with the baby in it right onto the train? Or are you expected to fold the stroller and carry the baby?

The Bertini doesn't really fold much, it still sits on all 4 wheels when it is folded.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. We haven't been into the city since the baby was born, so I am clueless how to move around the city with a babe.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

momma_boo
04-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey Karen,

I already replied to your post in the Lounge about the Auto Show.

Unfortunately, there isn't a subway that goes directly to the Javitz Center. Penn Station might be the closest station (looks like the Javitz is between Penn Station and Port Authority), but there isn't a direct subway from Grand Central to Penn. http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

I've never taken a stroller on the subway, but there is usually a door next to the turnstiles that you can use (not sure how this works though - but be careful, an employee here once got a ticket for evading the fare when she used the door b/c she had lots of packages). In terms of getting on, most times people get on the subway with the stroller open with the baby in it.

Good luck!

kec2003
04-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Ooooh -- I didn't remember that you were taking the subway when I first replied. FORGET THE BERTINI -- take the smaller, lighter stroller for sure. There will probably be an elevator for handicapped access at Penn Station, but at MANY other subway stations there are no elevators, so you have to carry stroller up & down stairs yourself.

There is a gate (a big iron bar door) that the station attendant will open after you swipe your Metrocard, but it is a hassle to get them to do it if it is busy and crowded. Better to have smaller, foldable stroller and carry baby through turnstile and onto train. If you are going to Penn Station at busy time, it would also be a tough time getting the stroller onto the train unfolded -- you may miss a train just trying to find an empty car with enough space. This has happened to me on the 6 train at rush hour (duh, what was I thinking with open Zippy and 8 mos DS), but I bet this doesn't happen too often. Still, Penn Station is a well-traveled stop...

Good thing you have all the extra hands coming with you!

HTH,

Katharine
Mummy to Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

jerseygirl
04-14-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't know about the stroller issue, but I hope I can help with the logistics.

As far as trains and subways, I wasn't so sure which station you'd be coming into. If you are going to be at Penn Station (34th st & 8th ave), you can probably walk to the Javitz center (36th st & 11th ave) since its only a few blocks away.

If you are going to Grand Central, you can walk also but it's a bit further. You may want to consider taking a cab, or getting on the crosstown bus (M42) - the last stop is the Javitz Center. Grand Central is on the East Side (Park Ave & 42nd st).

Buses are $2 per person and you'll either need change/coins or get a metrocard. Cabs will only take 4 people for one fare.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf - scroll down to see the distance. 20 city blocks (streets - North to South) is about a mile. I don't know the exact mileage for Avenues (East to West), but I'd guess it'd take about 30-45 minutes.

HTH!

Maritess

urbanmom
04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi,
The Auto Show is very, very crowded on the weekends. I would definitely try to use some type of carrier (I like my backpack carrier for things like this). You may also want to bring a stroller for around town, but I would bring the lightest umbrella stroller you can. That way you can fold it up and carry it around the Auto Show. If you have a backpack style diaper bag that will also make things easier.

As for transportation, you can take the S (shuttle) train from Grand Central and it will bring you across town to Port Authority (that is the only stop on this train so you can't get lost). You can walk from there or you can hop on another train (any downtown train from Port Authority) to 34th Street. That is the closest stop to the Javits Center. Just let the token booth clerk know you need him or her to open the gate/door for the stroller--you will need to swipe the turnstile closest to the door with your Metro Card and push it (without going through). Then you can proceed through the door with the stroller. You can also walk from Grand Central if it's a nice day but it is a pretty good walk (might take you @ 40 min).

Hope that helps!