PDA

View Full Version : zippy / P3 extendable hood - how useful?

indigo
04-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

Just had a burning question I had to post... I just ordered a 2003 Zippy (good price at Babycenter.com) but have now seen the 2004 models and am wondering how valuable the fully extendable hood would be. I know the Peg Perego P3 also has this feature (it opens up all the way down to the napper bar to shield the baby) and I was wondering if you have found this feature to be indispensable? Would you say it's worth spending an additional $100?

Also, any thoughts on whether it is more important than the built-in rain cover? (the other main difference of the 2004 models) Of course, I can always throw a blanket over the hood as a makeshift sunshade... just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle of returning the one I ordered, spending more on a new one, etc.

We're expecting our first in July so I don't have any first-hand experience. I live in Washington DC so summers do get hot... that said, I tend to stay indoors when it's really bright out! I imagine we would take the stroller to the park maybe a couple times a week, and to malls/stores perhaps once a week. Thanks for all your insights!!

ScoobyFan
04-15-2004, 10:05 PM
I have exactly the same question! I too just bought the 2003 Zippy from Babycenter.com at a great price, but the hood doesn't seem to cover much. I didn't think it would be worth an extra $80-100, but now I'm wondering. I live in Texas, so the heat and sun are definitely an issue.

TIA everyone!!!

writermama
04-16-2004, 11:16 AM
I had the same question, too, only I was deciding between the 03 Zippy, the 04 Zippy and the Zooper Swing (I ultimately went with the Zooper Swing). In another thread, MamaParis had interesting insight about the canopy that pulls all the way down to the napper bar that helped me make up my mind.

Here's the thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=32295&mesg_id=32295&page=

Although the issue may be more of a problem with an older baby than a newborn.

After hearing good things about them here, I'm planning to get a Protect-a-Bub to augment the small Zooper canopy. Here's a link to their site: http://protect-a-bubusa.com/index.shtml

The other item about the 03 Zippy you might want to consider is the zip-out rainshade. While it's very convenient to pull out when it starts to rain, eventually you have to put it back -- if it's not completely dry when it goes back in the zipper part there can be problems with mildew (thus the 04 Zippy design to fix this). You might want to ask other 03 Zippy owners if they've had any real-life problems with mildew.

HTH,
Karen

votre_ami03
04-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I have a P3 & have used the extended hood lots. I live in AZ, so it's all sunshine all of the time. We can also get some pretty good wind & dust storms here too.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

gcampbell72
05-29-2004, 03:56 PM
We own a 2003 P3 and have found the extendable hood to be essential. My friend with a Zippy has found the hood to be insufficient and always needs to drape a blanket to provide extra shade. This is a bit of a pain, plus I know that my 7-month old would not be able to resist pulling down the blanket.

Living out here in Southern CA, I would say that the extendable sunshade is worth the extra $100. Having lived in D.C. up until 2001, I would say that you would still benefit from the extendable sunshade there but that you could probably get by with one of the generic sunshades that that are available.

On another P3 vs Zippy note, I was never able to steer my friend's Zippy with one hand (which was necessary while walking our large dog). I went with the P3 instead and have found the one-handed steering to be wonderful!

Good luck!