PDA

View Full Version : MBUS vs e3 for jogging?

SASM
04-14-2004, 01:33 PM
I know...If I am seriously thinking of jogging/running I should get a fixed wheel but this stroller is also going to be my everyday, all-terrain stroller as well as a jogger since I do not have room for three strollers. That being said, for those who have seen both IRL, which do you think would be better for jogging? I do not think that I will be a hardcore runner (although I would LOVE if that happens!!) ~ probably more light jogs with hopefully a little more distance. Any other stroller recommendations would be great :)

Thank you so much, in advance.

Edited for spelling :)

papal
04-14-2004, 01:46 PM
:)
Sharyn, I don't have an answer for you, but I was just smiling seeing your post.... i see your stroller quest continues!! i have read on the boards that the e3 is a little more tippy...so you might want to take that into consideration... but i think it is tippy only if there is no child in it... not sure. i don't think you can go wrong with either one of your choices. :)

jgsrun
04-14-2004, 01:53 PM
I have the MBUD and jog with it several times a week. I actually like the swivel wheel because I'm not constantly tilting it back to compensate for the curvy trail I run on. I am a serious runner and my single jogger was a Kelty with 20 inch wheels. I really don't notice a huge difference between it and the MBUD. I did get the handle bar extender because it allows for a longer stride.

Good luck!
Julie

SASM
04-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi Rashmi!!

DH still doesn't want to let it go..huh? :) That is sooooo awesome :)

SASM
04-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Julie,

Thank you so much for your post. :) It is reassuring to hear that a serious runner likes the MB for that purpose. I have read alot about how swivels are not recommended for jogging/running but I was hoping to hear different from real life experiences :) I would love to get a stationery wheel but it just wouldn't work with our situation. I spoke with someone at Baby Outfitters and they also run with their MBUS. I am HOPING HOPING HOPING to jog 6-7 days a week (or fast walk towards that goal), maybe a couple of miles. Do you think that would be too much for a MB?

papal
04-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Sharyn, you can lock the MBUS swivel wheel if you want to.

jesseandgrace
04-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Definitely pick the mb if you really want a swivel wheel because you can lock the front wheel, you can't lock the e3 at all. But, if you are running/jogging a larger wheel will make the ride much smoother for the baby, I am guessing the younger the baby, the more important this is. The mb would probably put a lot more strain on the child, I'm sure my 3 year old wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't do it with my 10 month old, for the same reasons that I would play more roughly with a three year old than a baby. Does that make sense? I hope so. If your child is older, I don't think you will mind the mb but if you have a baby I think it would be too much shaking which can be bad for the baby - at least that is what I learned in my research. I want a jogger with a swivel also, but after looking in to it I think I am going to go with the fixed wheel, and I think I have chosen the BOB. Good luck.

ismommy
04-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Not sure about jogging with the e3 but do want to point out that you can lock the front wheel on it same as the mbus. You might want to call Rodney at kiwi kids and ask him. Also I beleive the tipiness issue with the e3 is only when its used in the doubles mode and the front child gets out. I have had no problems with mine feeling teh slightest bit tippy.
Helene
mommy to Isabella

kec2003
04-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Yes the E3 swivel wheel locks -- both I and my husband use ours with 19 mos old son. DH has run 2 marathons, and runs very fast, and he actually preferred the E3 to our big, fixed wheel jogging stroller. I do, too, as it is lighter (21 pounds instead of 31 pounds). So I think even if you were a serious or frequent runner, it would be okay.

The E3 also comes with a jogging wrist strap (don't know about MBUS), and I LOVE the harness on the E3 -- I don't think I've seen a better, more secure way to strap a baby in on any other stroller. That said, I would definitely NOT run with a baby before 2 months of age, and when you do I would use one of those head support inserts. I didn't find the E3 stroller to shake appreciably more than the jogging stroller when I ran, but I didn't use the jogger with DS until he was about 8 weeks old just to be safe. (Those little floppy necks and great big heads seem so tender!)

I am starting to LOVE my E3 (only had it a few weeks now), just had to adjust after using a Zippy for so long, I highly recommend the E3!

HTH,

Katharine
Mummy to Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

SASM
04-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Thank you so much, girls!!

WOW...Katharine, your DH RUNS with the e3? Really...Fast?? That's reassuring! Is his stride long? Are you more of a light jogger or a runner, as well? If BOTH of you run separate times with the e3 that sounds durable ~ quite appealing :) I would think that it would be impossible to run with the "2 toddler" set-up ~ what do you think? Just something to think about for the future :)

kec2003
04-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Sharyn -

Yes, DH runs FAST (6.5 min miles?) for 5 miles with it and says it does just fine. He runs on the weekends with DS in Central Park on paved roads, so I can't speak to it's durability on anything else, though. I am much more of a plodder -- like 9 - 10 min miles for 3 miles, despite DS's request for "fast! fast!" like Daddy, maybe 1 or 2 times a week.

As far as stride, my DH has ridiculously long legs and doesn't hit the stroller, nor do I with my shorter ones. Can't speak to the doubles kit setup -- we don't have it yet -- I'll buy it when we actually have a EDD for the #2 we haven't even tried for yet! I've seen it in person, though, and it doesn't sem to come out too far, and other posters on this board say they don't kick it at all (one of the reasons I decided to get it!)

Have to say, overall, it is an outstanding stroller -- great push, smallish fold, reasonably lightweight given the big air wheels, height adjustable handlebar, nice canopy, napper bar, fairly padded seat, fantastic harness, nice foot well, good, accessible basket...

HTH,

Katharine

SASM
04-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Another WOW :) Thanks, Katharine, for the info!! Kelly at www.joggingstroller.com said that it is definitely not a jogging stroller, which made me leary. Seeing your workout is reassuring. I DOUBT that my stroller will get the same workout as yours :)

hubie
04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Katharine-
I am considering the e3 also. You said that you got it recently-did yo buy it direct on line or in a store? How long did it take to get it? I may have missed it, btu how young was your baby when you used it-did you use it with infant seat at all?

Thanks
p.s what accessories did you get?

kec2003
04-15-2004, 06:12 PM
I bought it from Rodney at www.kiwi-kid.com - he is about $20 less than joggingstroller.com, and he got rave reviews for customer service on this board. It took one week from the day I ordered (Tues) to receive it (Tues) -- but I live in NYC and he is in CA, so maybe it would be faster if you lived on the west coast.

My son is 19 mos, 18 mos when I received it, so no I didn't use it in the infant position with an infant, although I did try it out with DS anyway! :) Just curious for #2! It seemed great -- *completely* flat, nice snuggly enclosed space, I am looking forward to having a second just to really use all the features, LOL!

I bought the rain shield first, and have just gone back to order the race fleece and pannier bags. The basket is pretty roomy, but I like having bags where I can store the essentials (diapers, wipes, cheerios, books, toys) while leaving the basket free for any shopping or DS's doll stroller. I had a hang-off-the-bar bag that I used to leave on the back of my Zippy, but it's not quite right on this one -- it hangs straight down away from the stroller so it kind of flops around if you want to run with the stroller.

HTH!

Katharine

strollerqueen
04-19-2004, 05:48 AM
Late to respond but...

I have both, couldn't resist. But early on when I was researching, I talked to several women in NZ about them. They had a lot of problems with the Kiwi frame bending or breaking when using it for serious running. They said CS was great and they replaced them, but that was in NZ.

A lot of people over there use the MB Terrain for serious running, including marathons. The ones I spoke with never had any frame bending/breaking problems.

SASM
04-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Thank you for response, Strollerqueen :) I am trying to find a "jogger" with a swivel wheel b/c this stroller will be an everyday stroller as well. Unfortunately, the Terrain doesn't have that. I have just seen parents STRUGGLING with stationery wheel joggers in the mall and I have NO DESIRE to be in that situation :) So...I have been trying to find a durable swivel wheel stroller.

pamela mom of 3
04-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Well it doesn't turn on a dime the way the MBUS does BUT the terrain really isn't that bad indoors, i had expected it to be difficult being that it was fixed{i'm no pram fan ;) } but i found it handles very nicely in malls.

But again as with all things it's so personal ..Good luck :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif