PDA

View Full Version : NEW E3 MODEL JUST RELEASED -- V2!!

kec2003
04-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to let you all know that I stumbled across this info when looking up Rodney's email to ask him yet another question (the poor man -- he gives such great customer service, but he has to put up with stroller-obsessed NY mommys like me!)

Kiwi has just released a new model of the e3 -- the "v2" (version 2) -- basically the same stroller BUT:

- the seat is WIDER -- 11.5" instead of 10" -- NICE, and the wheel base is not any wider, still 23"

- the angle on the second seat is more upright, I would guess so that you are really sure not to bump into it when walking

- the connectors are different -- you must use the v2 toddler seat, rain shield, sun shield on the v2, the old accessories will not work

Rodney is selling them for $315, the v1 is $280, but joggingstroller.com is selling the v1 for $299, so relatively the v2 doesn't seem far more expensive.

So excited!! While DS didn't seem squished in skinnier seat, I think it will be nice to have the extra room for winter coats, etc., when the time comes!

If anyone (Strollerqueen?!) knows anything more, please share!

TIA,

Katharine
Mummy to Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

nohomama
04-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Well crap. I have (and love) a red E3 but now there's something new to lust after.

Did you find any pics anywhere? I didn't find the V2 on Rodney's site. I wonder if it's being offered in new and interesting colors??? Wouldn't that be exciting!?!

kec2003
04-21-2004, 11:11 AM
LOL, I know how you feel!

Unfortunately, colors are the same, so I think it is next to impossible to truly distiguish between the v1 and v2 unless you are, say, sitting in one!

You can SORT OF see the new v2 on the Phil & Ted's website (www.philandteds.com, I think). The most noticeable difference is the second seat look, IMO.

BTW, I love the red, too!

Katharine

pamela mom of 3
04-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Found this site, no pictures however some written details on the version 2 updates...

C&P'd

New alloy frame (only 7.3kgs)
Easier folding system - 2 press-release flippercatches
'Slide on' doubles kit (patent pending) - easier to install/remove
Seat wider by a massive 25-60mm
Larger parcel tray
Seat locks for toddler seat (prevents seat falling forward)
Longer handle (75mm) for taller people - more room in doubles configuration
Longer adjustable crotch strap on harness
Larger newborn bed

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

MamaParis
04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO!!!

I was just about to order the E3 w/ doubles kit ... eventhough I was a bit concerned about the smaller seat and my husband was concerned about kicking the extra seat when walking - eventhough I have just abot convinced him that he wouldn't! I was just going to order the exta handle extenders, but the V2 seems like it fixed all of my concerns!! Doesn't look like the doubles kit seat sticks out past the handle (from that picture on the Phil and Teds website) and the seat is wider which really makes me feel good about it and the handles are longer!

Does anyone know when the V2 will be availible?

This new V2 info has really made my day! Thanks so much!

kec2003
04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Pamela --

Where did you find that info?

Thanks!

Katharine

knotgrl626
04-21-2004, 09:15 PM
This sounds great. Who's Rodney BTW? And what is his website? I can't wait to order one!

Amy
mom to Connor 12/07/02
EDD #2 7/23/04

kec2003
04-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Rodney Anderson is the proprietor of Kiwi Kid. The website is www.kiwi-kid.com.

HTH,

Katharine

toomanystrollers
04-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh man - alloy frame!!!!! sigh... I'll be sticking w/our E3 (first edition).

ameelo
04-22-2004, 12:20 AM
Hi,

Just wondered what the difference is with an alloy frame?

toomanystrollers
04-22-2004, 07:57 AM
The difference w/alloy - weight. Old E3 is around 21 lbs. and this newer version is about 16 lbs.

HTH

ismommy
04-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Ooh so not fair. I love my E3 to pieces but 16 pounds woul be alot nicer. If I had known I probably would have waited Oh well at least I got 6 months of enjoying my e3 before this came out.
Helene
mommy to Isabella

firsttimemommy
04-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Don't feel to bad...I JUST received my E3 2 weeks ago and technically haven't even really used it (although my DD was kind enough to chew a little piece of the handle covering off the 2nd seat and I hadn't even torn the tags off of the stroller yet!!!!). The seat issue isn't that big of a deal to me, but I do like the 2nd seat being more upright, less likely to be kicked, etc. But the biggest kicker of all is the WEIGHT. 16 lbs would be GREAT and an aluminum frame so much more durable! Oh well.

Ronda
Mommy to Jenna - born 1/10/03
and Jacob - to be induced THIS MONDAY if he doesn't come on his own before then!

montessorimomof2
04-22-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm soooo bummed! We haven't had ours for very long. Now that's TWO things I wish I could do over! I could kick myself for ordering the navy instead of the red, and now I'm thinking I should have waited a lousy 2 months before ordering! It stinks they couldn't have made the new doubles seat to fit either the v1 or the v2, it looks much improved.

Oh well, Stacey.

P.S.-Anyone want to swap navy for red fabrics? It's very "boyish" and I have two DDs!

lerlerler
04-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks SO much.
I'm due in August and DH and I decided to go for the E3. I'm superstitious (and Jewish) and wanted to wait a while before buying anything forthe munchkin.. But DH wanted to see this thing... he loves the look of the stroller. SO, he's been trying to convince me to buy it for the last few weeks!

Glad I waited!

strollerqueen
04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
But isn't that just the chassis that weighs 16 pounds? If you add on the tires, canopy, and fabric, I'm sure it will come to at least 21 pounds.

In recent years, I have never seen a "new and improved" model getting lighter; they have all gotten heavier.

But I'm sure we could ask Rodney for clarification.

mom2tony
04-22-2004, 01:17 PM
just checked it out on phil and teds. i am not liking the more upright seat at all! i have an e3 (green, bought slightly used off swap.love it) and plan on using it when baby #2 gets here in sept. with the current e3 you can put a 3 month old in the rear seat...i would not feel comfortable putting such a small baby in the new upright seat.

i could use a wider main seat though

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/rowesa/products/kiwibuggies/imagese3dub/pt_double_r4_c2.gif

kec2003
04-22-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree you wouldn't want to put 3 mos old in that seat, but wouldn't you just keep them in the "newborn bed" a bit longer. It may be annoying to have them there two or three months longer, but I would think it would be nicer for the second child to sit up more when they are 12 months and not have to lay way back, so maybe it's more useful in the long run?

Katharine

nrvstorm
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Hello: First post here. I found this link which gives good pics and specs of new E3, which we're considering: http://www.babymall.com.au/explorer/
Hope it is useful. This stroller stuff can make one nuts! What's a young couple to do??? E3, Zooper (new)?
Norman & Tara
[email protected]

kec2003
04-22-2004, 05:04 PM
FYI, just got this email from Rodney this morning:

"[The v2 is] definitely not 16lbs (the shipping weight is about the same so its within 1lb of the e3 v1).

The handle is longer by about 2", the doubles kit attachs easier in the back now (and clips into the front in the newborn/toddler position)."

But for the REAL NEWS: (drum roll please!!)

"And there's a car seat adapter (it clips onto the stroller frame) coming in about 2 months - totally forgot about that one - its supposed to fit Graco, Century and Peg Perego infant car seats."

HTH,

Katharine

pamela mom of 3
04-22-2004, 06:03 PM
You'll have to scroll down a little but just look under
" Version 2:Some of the great changes are"

http://www.practicalpushchairs.co.uk/pages/e3explorer_overview.htm

Seems from what i can tell from looking about NZ/UK sites are may/june the V2 will be out? Rodney may know more specific info on release dates :)

ETA: ah looks like Rodney does have the V2 in stock already...
"e3 version 2 in stock in Charcoal/Black, Navy/Charcoal & Red/Charcoal"

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

MamaParis
04-22-2004, 07:10 PM
That's what I figured about the weight of it.

From everything that I have read about this stroller, the V1 of the E3 is about 18 lbs without wheels etc ... and the new one is supposedly about 16 lbs without wheels etc - which is only really a two pound difference at most - but hey, thats two lbs less to pick up into the car!! :)

Would you happen to know how the carseat adapter is going to work? Like would you have to put the carseat on the front and put the older baby in back in the doubles toddler seat? Or does it attach to the back somehow? Its not like this is a huge deal to me because I rarely use the 'travel system' function on my other strollers anyway, but it still is a nice accessory to have for those quick trips with a sleeping baby!

Thanks for the update ...

Rhonda36
04-23-2004, 11:36 AM
WWWWWHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTT????? A carseat adapter too? If that's true, then my decision on a double has just been made. Yahoo! And I haven't even seen the darn thing in real life.

Bye bye MBUS -- it's been a wonderful romance, but it's time to move on. I promise to find you a good home.

Thanks so much for all the great info!

Rhonda

mom to Spencer, 5/17/03
and Baby #2, 12/10/04

meritsmom
04-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Two quick questions for people who own this stroller...I have a girl that will be two when or next daughter is born...my first question is...how does the second kid feel sitting under the other kid?...not sure if I personally would like to ride that way..not that i've ridden in a stroller in quite some time..LOL.....I'd love to hear any comments....

Second question...does the toddler seat recline when the newborn basket is beign used and do the seats recline when there are two toddlers in the stroller?

Thanks in advance!

Suzette

lmariana
04-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Well, hubby loved the idea of the wider seat and easier doubles attachment, so we just ordered the V2! I am so excited.

We've had our Kiwi 2 months, and absolutley LOVE it. I'll be posting our red, single E3 (v1) on the Stroller Swap once we get the new one. Just incase anyone is interested!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

1sttimemom
04-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Mariana,
I'd really be very interested in your red v1!!! I'm dying for red and Rodney only has Navy in stock. DH says the V1 is better than the tender twin we have so why spend $ for V2 (out DD is petite so larger seat isn't necessary, we never used infant set adapters with her and were both short...) Please let me know if you would consider selling once it arrives!!!
Sarah
[email protected]

hardysmom
04-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to answer your question... The younger child rides in back and typically starts before they really mind the lack of a view. As a double, it does seem to work better when the younger baby is still small (under 1) so that they don't get an opinion that they should be up front. If they start in the toddler seat, they tend to think of it as "their" seat.

In a perfect world, by the time they would want/need to be in front, the older child isn't riding anymore.

There have been issues when the Kiwi is purchased for a an older set of kids. If the "baby" is used to a normal stroller and is old enough to really form an opinion about where they should sit, you may have some trouble. There has also been some talk of older kids (2 ish) kicking the against the front seat in which the older sibling rides.

I think this is one of those things like the Britax Wizard carseat. It is great if the child starts in it, or it is purchased early in the strolling phase.... I don't think my DS would have done well in the toddler seat if it was introduced after he was about 1. Of course, some kids are more picky at a younger age and others are more laid back about such things.

Hope this helps. Stephanie

biggster
04-28-2004, 11:24 AM
What and where can I find the Stroller Swap boards? I am looking for a triple jogger.

biggster
04-28-2004, 11:27 AM
I think the child in the "back" seat isn't getting much of a view (the back of the seat in front!) Not very stimulating don't you think? Am I wrong? What if you have twins?

lmariana
04-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Here's the link to the stroller swap!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

kec2003
04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm pretty sure this stroller is NOT for twins -- the toddler seat is not reclined enough for a newborn, and there is only one newborn bed.

As far as view, I was worried about #2 as well until I saw one IRL -- the second had plenty of room on the sides, and seemed quite happy. If you're worried about stimulation, you could always tape some of those stimulating black & white cards on the back... :)

Seriously, though, unless you were planning on leaving dc #2 in the stroller for five hours a day, I don't think a slightly restricted view will stunt their brain development!

Just my opinion!

Katharine
Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

anuta
04-28-2004, 01:33 PM
A question for E3 owners: when you use it in the infant bed mode,
does the hood cover the hole in the back? I saw a video demo and it looks like there is a hole between the top of the infant bed and the hood in the back!

urbanity
04-28-2004, 07:50 PM
We're seriously looking at the E3 -- probably the V2 -- but we live in a building with about eight steps leading up to the elevator and were wondering if anyone could tell us how the stroller fares going up and down steps. We're thinking it probably won't work with the double option attached, but with just a single kiddo aboard?

Also, has anyone tried to use it with a kiddie board?

And what about the double wind or sun shade -- does it roll up under the canopy like the single one can?

TIA!