PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to check out the new Zoopers (3 wheelers) tomorrow!!! Yay!! (m)

hobokenmom
04-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Coincidentially, I called one of the local stores here that carries both zoopers and mountain buggies to check if they've gotten their 2004 zoopers, and the guy I spoke to said they arrived today.

So....I'm so excited to check them out tomorrow. I'll have to let you all know what I think about them.

Here's my story...I already have a 2001 Techno (Electric Blue), and a 2003 Quest, so I'm set for lightweight strollers. I want an all-terrain stroller for baby #3, as this poor child will be dragged around with my older two, to and from school every single day. This past winter was bad in NJ, and so I need a stroller that's going to be good in the snow. I'm not planning to use the stroller indoors at all, except maybe to pop into one of the local stores, as my Maclarens can stay in the car for the mall.

I'm trying to decide between the Zooper, MB, or the E3.

stella
04-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Will you post a short review of the tango (double!) if you see it?

Thanks!!

JerseyMom
04-23-2004, 09:48 AM
HEY NEIGHBOR!!

I live in NJ too. Where are you going that has both Mountain Buggies and Zoopers? I am expecting baby #2 so that means by next year I will have 2 kids under the age of 2. I am considering the Tango and the MBUD. It would be nice to actually see a stroller in person just once before I buy it!

Good luck and have fun!

hobokenmom
04-23-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm heading off to Lakeland Baby, which is off of Route 23 in Wayne, I believe. It's a little north of the Willowbrook mall.

I'll definitely check out the Tango when I see it. I've suddenly noticed lots of MBUDs here in Hoboken lately. It seems to be the new double, whereas everyone used to have Maclaren doubles.

JJ2
04-23-2004, 10:20 AM
How exciting!!

I haven't had a chance to check out the 2004 Zooper's IRL yet so if you could post your opinions about the Zydeco and Boogie that would be appreciated. Also what you think of the TEAL fabric if they have a sample of the stroller in Teal. I want a heavy duty stroller too as I have a 6 yr old that I'll be towing the baby around after.

JJ
Mom to Emma almost 6
baby girl #2 edd June 28/04

lstef plus2
04-23-2004, 10:58 AM
If I did not have to work this afternoon, I probably would have met you at Lakeland Baby---about a 10 minute ride from my house. I usually do not venture into Lakeland due to the fact that ds now 18 months likes to run around and hide in the stores. By the time dh gets home, Lakeland is closed.

Have a nice trip, and keep us updated.

hobokenmom
04-23-2004, 02:38 PM
First off, the Zydeco and the Boogie are HUGE and HEAVY, as we all could have guessed. I'm used to my little Maclarens, and was floored by how heavy both of these were.

The fabrics of the 2004 line are VERY nice. I think across the board (all the Zooper strollers) the teal and the black are very soft, almost suede fabrics, and the sky, silver, apple, and navy are lighter, more windbreaker-like fabrics. I saw the Zydeco in Black, and the cozy-toes was a thick sleeping bag, where the regular boot (for the Boogie) was just a boot. Worth an extra $50? I'm not sure honestly. I saw the Boogie in Teal, and it was beautiful. I reversed the seat on the Zydeco, which was easy, and a nice feature. The saleswoman was learning all about the strollers as we were examining them all, so it was kind of funny as we were both trying to figure out how to fold, unfold, lock the front wheel, etc.

Then I looked at the Jazz. Much lighter than the Boogie and Zydeco, and the seat definitely seemed slightly wider (I think it is truly an inch wider). I saw that in Apple, which was very red, but nice if you like red. The boot for the Jazz is definitely much thinner than for the Boogie (or the Cozytoes for the Zydeco), yet still adequate and would block out wind.

Once I figured out how to fold the strollers, I realized that if you don't latch them shut, you can get them to stand up on their own, balancing on the wheels and the handle.

Now for my thoughts on what I'm going to buy. I compared the MBUS to the Jazz, and to me, there is not much difference in size. Yes, the Jazz is heavier, but not that much heavier. Folded, the Jazz is only slightly bigger than the MBUS. The Jazz definitely has a more cushy seat than the MBUS, with more padding and a better recline mechanism (IMO) The Jazz is almost $100 cheaper than the MBUS and the Jazz includes all the accessories, so I think I'm likely to buy the Jazz in the Sky color.

They didn't have the Tango, and the saleswoman told me that she didn't even know whether they would carry it because it's so heavy.

I saw the Swing in the Navy, the Rhumba in the Teal, and the Waltz in the Sky, which is a nicer color blue (IMO) than on the Zooper website. It's more toned-down, with a slight hint of slate blue.

If I lived in a big suburban house, where I could just wheel my big stroller in and never fold it up, I'd consider the Zydeco or the Boogie because they are very plush, luxurious strollers, but I don't have the room. I have to either carry the stroller up my front steps (about 8 steps), or down about three steps to basement, and I won't be able to leave it open. I have two double front doors that are about 24-25 inches wide. I may be able to wheel the Jazz or the MBUS in without opening the second door (if I turn the stroller once the front is through), but I'll have to see.

I hope I've helped someone. Oh yeah, I think the Zydeco was $369, the Boogie $299, and the Jazz $269, but don't quote me on those prices.

newyearsmom
04-23-2004, 03:14 PM
hobokenmom - what's your review on your 2003 Quest? and forgive me for being ignorant, but what do MBUS & MBUD stand for? i lent out my Baby Bargains book so I can't look it up! Thanks.

MamaKath
04-23-2004, 04:19 PM
LOL, I feel your pain! The last time I was in there about a month ago, that was all my 2 year old did!!! My dd played quietly at the train table but ds was just a raving lunatic in there.

stella
04-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Mountain buggy urban single and mountain buggy urban double!

mommd
04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Did you play with the Waltz at all? If so, what did you think of it?

strollerqueen
04-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Your post inspired me to go take a second look at the Zoopers today. The baby store I went to will only carry the Jazz; said the other two were too big and too heavy.

Now maybe it's just me, but the Jazz seemed huge, too. It definitely seemed bigger, taller, and with a much longer wheel base than the MBUS.They had a Dreamer Design jogger close to it, and it looked to me about the size of that.

Well, maybe it's just an optical illusion or something. I didn't compare them side by side. BUT--for SURE it didn't push anywhere near as smoothly as my MBUS. I didn't even think it pushed as well as the Jeep Liberty. I think it must be those plastic tires; it's just not the same ride as the air ones.

Oh, since you live in a very narrow place, you should always take a tape measure with you when stroller shopping. The MBUS is 26" wide; the MBTS is 24", as is the Kiwi E3. I think the Jeep Liberty is even narrower; I know it's snack tray/steering wheel fits onto the Mac Techno, so it's the same width as that.

One final tip, though you didn't ask, lol! I find 3-wheelers in general very hard to bump up and down my stairs. However, most 4-wheelers are a piece of cake. Just something to consider.

firstbaby
04-23-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm so disappointed! DH, DS and I ran to our local store that got the new Zoopers in - how I had been dreaming of a Boogie. But it is HUGE - way bigger than the 2003! I didn't think that changing from a fixed to swivel wheel would add that much size! SIGH. So we're back to square one. :( I don't mean to steal this thread, but any other suggestions for a 3 wheel stroller with a swivel wheel that will not be used as a jogger?

strollerqueen
04-24-2004, 02:16 AM
I agree! Huge!

You have several other choices. As I mentioned, there is the Mountain BUggy Urban, the Kiwi E3, the Jeep Liberty, the Instep and Schwinn Safari and Saturn, and the latest entry--the Allo Marbella.

They are sold at Baby Center and One Step Ahead, for now. There is hardly any feedback on them because they are so new.

But, there is a LOT of feedback on all the othes, and most of it is quite favorable.

You can do a search on this board to find out about the other models, or post specific questions if one looks interesting to you.

hobokenmom
04-24-2004, 08:13 AM
and I think I may have to check out the E3 because the width definitely would be an issue for us, with getting it through the doors. I know in my old house, the doors were so narrow you couldn't even get a Maclaren through only one of the doors, but I just got used to either opening both doors or folding the stroller before bringing it through the doors.

I honestly didn't push the Jazz or the MBUS that much. What I should've done is take my 47 pound 4 year old and then try to push them both.

I have to think that the fold on the e3 is really the smallest, right?

dules
04-25-2004, 08:02 PM
and I really liked them. Size isn't such an issue for me, as we have a house and garage. There were some differences not noted on the Zooper site, though.

On the Boogie the swivel/fixed wheel adjustment is an easy to use plastic switch. On the Zydeco it's a "slide" adjustment with a cable, that I couldn't get to work and neither could the sales person (granted, these were new to them too).

The Zydeco has a more "ergo" handlebar with a curve so your wrists are not straight, the boogie's is just straight across.

The cosy toes on the Zydeco seems really warm and snug but the sales person thought that it would not fit my dd by next winter (she is 5 months now). The Boogie has a standard boot that he thought would still fit her then.

I don't honestly know which one to choose - like the suspension and handlebar on the Zydeco, like the boot and swivel/fixed adjustment on the Boogie. (I did not NOTICE the diff in suspension driving around the store, just read about them on the Zooper site).

The fabrics on these and the other new Zoopers were just gorgeous - saw a Boogie in teal, Zydeco in black, Jazz in apple and one of the "regular" strollers in blue.

I hope this helps anyone who's thinking about these but can't try them IRL. I can't decide but think I will choose one of these, rather than a MBUS, since the front wheel is adjusted from the top and they come with all the accessories for the same price (or less) as an MBUS.

Of course, now I have to convince DH that we need another stroller - lol!

Best,
Mary

marit
04-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Do you know who makes the Marbella? It looks pretty nice!

OT: Strollerqueen, I think you should open a stroller store that imports all the neat things from Europe, we'll all be your customers!

amydiara
04-27-2004, 06:29 PM
mary-

im thinking of black zydeco--was it too black? how was fabric? was it tan with it?

i recently saw silver boogie so i have a general idea but details on zydeco much appreciated. other than what you noted did they look the same?

KarenLB
04-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I had emailed Lakeland a few weeks ago about the Tango & they said they would order one if I wanted one...I still want to test one out first though.

dules
04-30-2004, 02:29 PM
The black was sort of a microfiber-soft fabric. I really liked it because it felt plush and looked sharp. The tan trim keeps it looking warm, IMO.

They looked the same except for what I noted above. I was surprised at these differences because I never noticed them in the pics online.

Oh, also, the Boogie has little black plastic fake "shocks" on it that are literally just sleeves over the frame that I would probably cut off as I thought they looked silly, lol.

I steered both one-handed in the store and they felt the same to me, but I thought the Zydeco curved handle was easier on my wrist. Neither felt heavy to push, though.

I left a msg for Zooper today about whether I could get a boot for the Zydeco if in fact the cosy toes is too small for my dd by next winter. Will post results when I hear back.

Hope that helps!
Mary

SCmomtobe
04-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Thank you so much for your review! The store that I would get it from is only going to special order so I won't be able to see in real life.
I am looking at the Boogie and the Kiwi.I was leaning towards the Boogie because they look plusher and the infant seat compatibility.

The negativity on the size & weight concerns me. I am prego with my first maybe so I have never used a stroller before. Is the Boogie going to be too big and heavy to take to the mall? I have an SUV and I don't think it will bother me to haul it in and out of the back once in awhile. Mostly I will use it outside around the neighborhood.

Does anyone know the size of the wheelbase of the Boogie compared to the Kiwi? I have seen on the boards that the new kiwi is really lightweight.

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is about heaviness in a stroller unless you are particularly petite?

I really love reading all of your comments!!!! Soooo Helpful!

mommab
05-02-2004, 12:45 AM
SCmomtobe, I saw on your profile that you're in Charleston...me too! I used the infant carseat with the UCSC and am currently using a cheapy umbrella for my 7-month old dd, so am trying to decide on the E3 or the Zippy/P3 types. Have you seen an E3 IRL locally? Baby Bloomers in Mt. Pleasant is the only store I can find locally that carries the Zoopers, and they said they were not going to carry them any longer (they had one on display a few weeks ago). The girl in Baby Bloomers had not heard of the Kiwi line when I asked in the store. How has your experience been there? You're welcome to email me directly.

Anyone else know where to see the Kiwi E3 IRL within 2/3 hours of Charleston, SC?

SCmomtobe
05-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Baby Bloomers had the 2003 Zoopers and when I called to see if they had the new 2004s, they said they didn't but would special order.I don't know if that is still the case - I was waiting for some feedback on the board first.
I may be crazy but I am OK with ordering the Kiwi sight unseen based on the fabulous feedback on them. I don't think you can go wrong with it and I really like the add on for a double stroller later.

BUT..the Zoopers look so comfy! And they come with so much. So I am really torn. If I could see a Zooper IRL and knew that its size wouldn't aggravate me I would go with that.
I was in Charlotte last wk and popped into USA Baby but all that they had was a 2003 Sport. I didn't ask about the 2004s because I really need to buy one soon and won't be going back to Charlotte before the baby comes.
I think that I am going to email Zooper and get the dimensions...The website only shows the folded dimensions and I am more concerned with the size when you are using it!

SCmomtobe
05-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Baby Bloomers had the 2003 Zoopers and when I called to see if they had the new 2004s, they said they didn't but would special order.I don't know if that is still the case - I was waiting for some feedback on the board first.
I may be crazy but I am OK with ordering the Kiwi sight unseen based on the fabulous feedback on them. I don't think you can go wrong with it and I really like the add on for a double stroller later.

BUT..the Zoopers look so comfy! And they come with so much. So I am really torn. If I could see a Zooper IRL and knew that its size wouldn't aggravate me I would go with that.
I was in Charlotte last wk and popped into USA Baby but all that they had was a 2003 Sport. I didn't ask about the 2004s because I really need to buy one soon and won't be going back to Charlotte before the baby comes.
I think that I am going to email Zooper and get the dimensions...The website only shows the folded dimensions and I am more concerned with the size when you are using it!

Kimberly H
05-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Beth,

Sorry for butting in here but I'm in Myrtle Beach and go to Charleston for my baby store fix ;)

I've had EXCELLENT service at Baby Bloomers and I wouldn't hesitate to shop there. Even when we're just going in to look, they're always friendly.

Skip the clothing store next door though unless you're dressed to the nines and dripping cash. They don't like "common folk".

Caroline1124
05-02-2004, 10:32 AM
I am stoked to see some SC moms here!! I thought I was living in Graco-land LOL

I bought my 2004 Zippy from Baby Bloomers and she (the dark haired girl) even gave me a 10% discount when I told her I could buy online for cheaper (they were selling for $299). I still paid ~$289 with tax, but I don't mind b/c I'd rather support local stores.

Special orders are an additional $20 I think, at least when I was inquiring about getting a Silver Cross Camden.

I've also been eyeing the Kiwi for our jogger, I love the idea of the add on double but how comfortable is it for the baby in the bottom seat? Is there any view? And is that seat meant for the newborn or the older child?

It is so nice to see other Charleston moms here :)

Caroline
Momma to Dylan 7/31/03

mommab
05-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Woohoo...not to digress here...but let's hear it for the SC gals!!

Yes, I found Baby Bloomers to be VERY helpful!! If fact, the dark-haired girl (Elizabeth) showed dh & me on a busy Saturday almost every non-jogging stroller in the shop...open & close...open & close...

I've decided on the Zippy or the P3, and will consider the E3 for later if I find an all-terrain is needed for the parks or beach (the add-on seat is the biggest selling point for me for when #2 comes along). Dh liked the MBUS, but we really need one that's more practical (lighter & more compact)...so maybe he won't squawk at the E3 later. I'm not a jogger, but have seen a mom in our n'hood rollerblading behind a jogging stroller. Do you think rollerblading behind an E3 in Charleston (terrain is flat as a pancake) would be safe without a hand brake?

Caroline, are you happy with the Zippy? Do you find that you need an even lighter stroller like the Inglesina Swift or Peg Aria too? I'm hoping not!! That way I can save my bucks for the E3!! BTW, there have been several posts lately with links to pictures of the E3 (version 2)...the 2nd seat is for the newborn.

Kimberly, my dh is from MB and all of his family still lives there...y'all have the great outlets for baby clothes, though!!

LSC
05-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I got the navy Boogie and love it. Originally had the teal Boogie, which is very pretty, but the fabric is fleece-y and I thought it would not be good for the summer and also that the fabric would be harder to keep nice with cleaning.
Lori