PDA

View Full Version : New Aprica stroller, is it worth that much???

tinkerbell1217
04-24-2004, 02:42 PM
I just found this today online, its gorgeous, sure, but is it worth over $500?? I used to have an Aprica with DD and I LOVED the stroller, but it was a hand me down. I didn't spend a penny on it! I think my DH would kill me if I even asked to spend that much, but its sooo pretty! Its called the Promenade.

http://www.apricausa.com/images/94747.jpg

Kelly

american_mama
04-25-2004, 10:23 AM
I had an Aprica Windor (or maybe it was a Quantum) and it looked very much like this but in a classic navy blue. I bought the Aprica for $130 in 2003 from a store that was closing them out; I think my Aprica was a 2001 or 2002 model year. I don't think it's worth $500 at all. I didn't like my Aprica much except for the super soft, padded seat and giant canopy, and sold it. About that time, Aprica's website said they were doing a big re-design of their strollers and took all the previous models off the website. If this was their big "re-design" (just looks like new fabric to me!), I think it's a ripoff.

Strollers4less.com often seems to have Aprica's for $150 or less, although they are usually the older models. But as I said, there doesn't appear to be much difference between this one and others.

tinkerbell1217
04-25-2004, 02:12 PM
I am getting myself in trouble looking at this thing!! I though $700 was too much when the Bugaboo came out (besides, I don't think the Bugaboo is nice at all, looks strange to me!). Now that I have seen this Aprica stroller and I knew how much my DD loved hers, I want it even more!! AND, I also had an Aprica with my DS too. I had forgotten about that!! I got it on clearance for $125 from an upscale baby store near me. It was originally $300, I think. He loved it too, would fall asleep in it all the time, it was plush, nice basket, great canopy, and excellent stearing. Along with the reversable handle too, its very similar to the newer one. Aprica has gone way up in proce since my DS had his. I know they are known for great seats, up high,and they are supposed to be better for the baby's posture and all. And they added a new ventilation system within the seta to keep baby cool/warm.

And, alot of people around here use Peg's or Graco or Maclaren. I hardly ever see an Aprica, which I like too. My stroller would be an "original". I am always looking for something nobody else has! :) Like the Petunia PickleBottom diaper bags!! I have to have one!!

I guess I could spend less on the furniture and bedding and splurge on the stroller. There has to be a way I can cut back somewhere without too much sacrifice!!

Thanks for the reply, I think I already have my mind made up!

Kelly

Nooknookmom
04-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Do a search on Apricas here, I have blabbed a lot on them!

But be warned - people either love them or hate them. I had two w/ my DD, one sort of like the one in your pic (same frame type diff. fabric). They WILL last forever. My DD rode in hers till she was 6!

Unlike all the prob's w/ Maclarens wheels, Aprica guarantees theirs for lifetime. Now, they DO feel wobbly as baby grows as this adds more flex to the suspension but it is not because they are flimsy. Also as any other stroller w/out large air tires, they will NOT perform supurbly on broken sidewalks, gravel, etc.

It is not a "do it all" stroller BUT one of the few left that have a reversible handle, full canopy and a great basket. I would buy another for the right price in a HEARTBEAT.

HTH Trina :) :7

MamaKath
04-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi Trina!!! Good to see you still around. I am with you, I love them though they certainly have a love/hate following from folks. I agree that they are not a do-it-all stroller, but honestly I am not sure those really exist. Some do come close for some lifestyles, though most people I know still end up with a cushy mall type stroller, a jogger type for walks/runs, and an umbrella fold lightweight for quick stuff, even if they are not "junkies" or into investing much money into it. $500 maybe, but you can find gorgeous ones cheaper. Some FYI though as you look. They did have 2 lines for a bit- the Prestige and the Royale. The Prestige are the super light aluminum frame models. The Royale are actually steel frame (though still lightweight) without the extra padding, and a few other features. The one hand folds are awesome! The Royales can be found for under $200 whereas the other Prestige models tend to be much more. The newer ones are all quite $$$ so it depends alot on if they are "your cup of tea". ;-) :-)

Loving my Apricas,

Nooknookmom
04-26-2004, 12:24 AM
:)

tinkerbell1217
04-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate any feedback, good and bad! See, I have owned Aprica, like you, and loved both of mine too.My last one, with DS, lasted for 3 years before I "gave it away" to a friend for her younger son. It lasted another 2 years for her! To me, thats not a bad investment for a 5 year stroller! I know the baskets are not HUGE like Graco or Evenflo, but I honestly don't put that much in the basket. I love the fact that they are lightweight (under 15 pounds) AND have full features like full recline, PLUSH padding on the seat, a decent canopy, reversable handle, etc.. And, I think I have finally decided not to use any type of travel system. The car seat belongs in the car and baby will just have to be transferred to the stroller. If she/he wakes up, I will deal! For what I need it for, which is mall crawling mostly, I think it will suit my needs just fine. maybe later on we will get a super lightweight stroller for travel. But for the first few months I think the Aprica will work just fine. I don't take many walks outside on the street, usually at a park and the paths are pretty nice. No broken sidewalks or anything.

Thanks again, I think I have made my mind up!!

Kelly

MamaKath
04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Enjoy it! My new one just got here this weekend, and I can't wait to try it out. I really love mine, even with any flaws, lol. Best of luck picking, and then picking the husband up when he sees the price. ;-)

tinkerbell1217
04-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Honestly, I think he will indulge me. We waited so long and endured so much to have a baby (surgery and miscarriages) that he is pretty good about most things. Especially something like furniture, car seats, and strollers. With him, its a safety/comfort issue so spending $500 on one of those things wouldn't be so bad. Spending $500 on ALL of those things would be a disaster! But, he thinks Britax is the best for car seats and furniture will be $350 max for a crib. I can deal with that! I won't be ordeing the Aprica just yet, probably not until August, but I will post a review asap!

Which one did you get??

Kelly

Nooknookmom
04-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Which website did you pick the photo off of. I need to go drool. LOL :)

MamaKath
04-27-2004, 12:31 AM
I have the Quantum Royale, and love it but needed something smaller. I was all set to get a Combi Savvy (was thinking of the Ultra or the DX), then entirely changed my mind and got a Super Zap Prestige. It is very similar to the Ultra Savvy but has a one hand fold and is around 11 lbs. It also has the one thing that bugged me on the Combis- Combis wheels face each other when it is folded, so you can't roll it; the Super Zaps wheels work to roll it behind me if I am holding a squirming toddler. I got navy with plaid, but here is a pic from the Aprica site in a different color.
http://www.apricausa.com/images/01/th_839.gif
I know what you mean on the $$ front. What you are saying certainly makes sense. I can't wait to hear what you think of it!!!

ETA: Now I have to decide if I should really sell my Aprica Quantum or not, lol. Oh and here is a picture I found of the Super Zap folded so you can see what I meant about the wheels.
http://www.babytrain.com/images/products/aprica/aprica_superzap_desc2.jpg

Buzymommy5
04-27-2004, 01:21 AM
this is a beautiful stroller! being in hawaii, aprica and combi's are the most common stroller because they are both from japanese companies. up until a few years ago, i noticed that fewer people were using apricas. i've had two aprica's and two combis which i used mostly for the mall. i actually considered buying another aprica until i started to do some stroller research since i'm expecting my third one in june :) i too, wanted a nice looking stroller and thought aprica was the only way to go, but according to a few sales people here, and the baby bargains book, although they are good strollers,consumers are realizing that they aeren't getting their money's worth. the decline in sales has gone down because there are so many strollers now that offer so much more. unfortunatley, nothing much has changed to warrant the price difference in apricas. there are so many awesome strollers out there now with so many features that weren't available 3-8 years ago! like the new 5 point harness system which is suppose to be an added safety feature on most if not all strollers now,unlike the aprica, which still has 3 point harness. most high end strollers offer the comfort and plushness that you and your husband want in addition to this. i don't know about you, but i can remember when both my children would try to climb out of their seat belts rather easily! it was so frustrating and dangerous when they got older and figured out how to squirm out of their strollers. i can't wait to see how the new seatbelts will work on my next baby :) although i just purchased a new zooper swing, for outdoor use, i'm still in search of that perfect "looking" second stroller that i can cruise around the mall or take in and out of groceries stores with. regardless of price, since i've become more stroller educated, i intend to get my money's worth, safety features and all... goodluck on your aprica or whatever you choose!

tinkerbell1217
04-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Babyride.com!

Kelly

Nooknookmom
04-27-2004, 07:44 PM
OK, I love Aprica's but I'd get a Bugaboo first, LOL.

http://www.babyride.com/95159.html

Yowsa, the frame looks almost like my Sprint Royale but w/ new padding. ;-)

tinkerbell1217
04-27-2004, 09:50 PM
yeah, the new padding is a special edition thing I think. Honestly, I wouold get an Aprica for that price (if money were no object). I just don't like the looks of a Bugaboo at all. But, thats just me!

Kelly