PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella stroller for 3 month old?

jbh
04-26-2004, 12:52 PM
I am looking for an umbrella stroller suitable for a 3 month old, weighing about 12-13 pounds, to take on a trip that I can carry on the plane and also use in town. I have looked at the Chicco London on the internet, but am concerned my baby may be too small for it yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on umbrella strollers?
Thanks for your help!

Momof3Labs
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
For a 3 month old, you want to find a stroller that reclines (not necessarily all the way, 140 degrees is probably adequate now). The London does recline, I believe, but has had quality problems (thus you can find it for $40 at Value City department stores now).

Do you have a budget for this purchase?

Also, you can't carry strollers on the plane - they make you gate check them (at the end of the jetway). When you travel, I'd suggest bringing the stroller that you want at your destination; I feel so sorry for the kids in umbrella strollers when I see them in airports!

jbh
04-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the reply! I don't mind spending more on this stroller if it something I'll be able to use more and more in the future. Right now, I have a Graco Metrolite TS that has been great for the 1st 3 months (I know the book isn't wild about them, but I don't have any complaints!)
I don't have any experience with the various strollers people discuss on the message boards and we live in a rural area, so I mainly have to rely on the internet.
In your opinion, what has been the most important feature on a travel stroller, light weight, small size when folded, etc.?
You can tell it's my 1st child!

divabell
04-26-2004, 08:51 PM
If you mostly fly rather than drive when you travel, the size when folded doesn't really matter since you gate-check the stroller. I debated between several strollers and ultimately went w/ the Inglesina Zippy because of the one-hand fold. And after traveling with it, I think it was the right choice. Especially if you think you'll ever travel alone, being able to fold the stroller while holding something else (like the baby!) is really helpful. The Zippy also reclines, isn't *too* heavy (I think 17 lbs) and is nice and plush. My DS seems very comfortable riding in it.

HTH!

Momof3Labs
04-26-2004, 09:26 PM
IMO, the most important "feature" on any stroller is baby's comfort. Because if baby isn't comfortable, then you are carrying him/her and pushing an empty stroller - a waste. We had a stroller or two that Colin hated, even though they had great features for *me*.

I'd say that both weight and size folded don't matter much if you are flying - since you gate check the stroller, you don't have to worry much about either.

IMO, the Peg Perego P3 and Inglesina Zippy are both great strollers and you can't go wrong with either - they have huge fan clubs, and offer a lot of features without being overboard on weight. They fold relatively small, too, and both companies have pretty good customer service departments.

temt1219
04-27-2004, 06:06 PM
I have a combi savvy soho that dd loves - I think it weighs around 11 lbs, folds super easily and my 4mo dd regularly falls asleep in it. We just brought it on a plane trip and it was perfect! I got it at BRU for about $100.I definitely recommend taking a look at it - it has a little recline which really makes the difference for little babies. HTH!