PDA

View Full Version : Double Stroller - 2 1/2 yo and newborn, help! (looong)

popefamily
04-29-2004, 05:55 PM
I spent a few hours with a friend and our combined 4 1/2 kids today (her three and my one and my big belly) at Babies R Us, trying to choose a double stroller. UGH.

I have a son who will be 2 1/2 in July when his baby brother is born. We plan to use our Graco SnugRide for the baby. I live in the suburbs, occasionally use the stroller for quick walks around the block, mostly for mall crawling and when I take my aging grandparents for doctor's appointments - my son sits in the stroller as we hang out in waiting rooms for hours, and he reads books, watches the portable DVD, etc. We're close to Orlando, and we've now started using the stroller for theme park trips. We'll drive to story time and then he'll eat lunch in the park in his stroller.

We have a Combi (6610 I think), single stroller, "perfect match attachment" for the graco seat, decent basket, nice tray, before the music system, lightweight, etc. We have a cheap-o Chicco umbrella. Even with my son at almost 28mos we use the Combi most of the time. He will still fall asleep in a full recline, and much prefers riding over walking.

Okay, so what do I need NOW? I test drove the Peg XL, Peg Aria Twin, and Graco DuoGlider today with my son and my friend's 5mo old in and out of his SnugRide, also with my son and my friend's almost 3 year old. I liked the drive and feel of the AriaTwin the best, but it's not for newborns (doesn't fully recline). I liked the drive of the DuoGlider BETTER than the Tender XL, honestly. I have an SUV, so most anything will fit in the back. I'm not too concerned about $$ - this is to be a gift from my husband's whole firm, they're collecting money for a GC or purchase, so we'll just make up the difference. My biggest concern is not seeing/feeling/testing a stroller before I buy it - there's NOTHING in our area, we had to drive over an hour just to get to BRU. There was a USA Baby up the street from BRU, but it's closed for some reason. I messed around with the Evenflo at Target, but that sucker is SOOOO HEAVY, maybe it's just at 7mos preg, but I couldn't imagine getting it up into the back of the Pathfinder.

What are the benefits of front/back vs. SBS for kids 2 1/2 years apart? Do the SBS REALLY fit through doors/into dressing rooms/ around the displays in the mall? What about something like a Sit N Stand while the baby is in the SnugRide, and then maybe the AriaTwin or the Combi TwinSavvy (if I can find it to try out)? I remember really enjoying being able to leave my son asleep in the SnugRide and pop it into the stroller rather than trying to keep him asleep, unstrap and restrap him into a full recline.

Okay, what am I not thinking of?!?!? Heeellllppp... too many decisions...

Thanks in advance, sorry so long...
-Cara

khakismom
04-29-2004, 06:11 PM
I have the Aria Twin and used it from birth for my youngest. The recline is practically flat, and I inserted a Snuzzler into the seat and placed the baby there. She loved it and would fall asleep every time.

I've also never had a problem getting the Twin thru doorways, dressing rooms, and around the mall. It's actually my favorite stroller!! The Combi Twin felt really filmsy to me, plus the pushbar is so low IMO that I was hunching over the stroller to push it. No thanks. I stayed away from the Graco because it was WAY too heavy and because everything I've read here said to STAY AWAY from the tandems. So I listened.

I like the idea of a Sit-N-Stand while the baby is still in the infant seat and then getting a double. I admit, there were times that I hated getting the baby out of the seat and wished I had a stroller where I could snap her in. But she was out of the seat at 6 months, so it didn't last long.

HTH! :)

MamaKath
04-29-2004, 06:41 PM
There is good news and bad news. The good news is that more and more manufacturers are making doubles so choices are slowly expanding. The bad news is there are still many fewer options and the lightweights are around 30 lbs (except a very few like the Ariatwin).

I think overall the sbs options steer considerably better than many other tandem styles. My favorites are the Combi Twin Savvy, the Inglesina TwinJet, the Peg Perego Ariatwin, and the Mountain Buggy Urban Double (MBUD, this is definitely an indoor outdoor model though the others are more indoor only) for sbs doubles.

HTH~

nofeea
04-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Don't forget the new Zooper Tango choice (though no one has seen it IRL yet apparantly!) You can see it on their website. It's supposed to be shipped to stores within the next two weeks I think. I'm waiting to check it out...

Chelsey333
04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
I bought the Aria Twin for my newborn and 2 year old and I love it. But baby isn't born yet, so not sure how it will do for real. But I love that it is light wt, easy to close, has snack trays (very important for the kids to keep busy), sat upright pretty well, had a good recline, big basket underneath. I was concerned about the recline also, but I have read that lots of mom used it with their newborn with the Snuzzler (found at BRU). I fell in love with the Combi Twin Savvy, but had to pass on it bec the seats did not sit upright enough for my toddler. He would have to hold on to the snack tray if he wanted to sit up, other than that he would be reclined quite a bit. Plus I found the Combi was not a flat recline either.