PDA

View Full Version : Realistic expectations

bamaw
04-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi all, I'm to be blessed with a new grandbaby girl in three months and while I just can't wait to hold this little blessing, I know that I enjoyed strolling my first who is now 9.
Let me correct that and say I loved strolling her "if" I had been happier with my stroller. I don't remember what brand it was, it was pink and had four front wheels and two back wheels.
I don't jog we do a more of a good powerwalk on a track that goes around a football field with 4 wide turns. So, do I need a 4 wheel stroller, a 3 wheel jogger? A fixed front wheel or a swivel!? I'm so confused!
I don't want anything to detract from the experience this go round so I'm here to see if my expectations of a stroller are unrealistic or is the perfect stroller out there for me!

The things I disliked about my 1st stroller:

It had to be forced to remain straight on the path.
It clattered
The handles were not comfortable
I kicked the basket if I wasn't careful.
My 6'husband had to bend to push it.

I would love a stroller that:

(1)I don't have to force to roll straight.
(2)Doesn't clatter
(3)Handles are comfy for both a 5'7 and 6' person
(4) That I can powerwalk on asphalt that is not totally smooth, but more "pea gravel" mixed with asphalt that my cause some strollers to vibrate

I did see a Jeep at Walmart that I thought might be nice. Have any of you used one?

I appreciate the input and knowledge of all you young moms that are more in tune with what's available as I live in a rural area 100 miles from baby stores and don't drive in the larger towns which keeps me from a hands on review.

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-30-2004, 02:29 PM
It sounds like a bertini m5 might be a good choice for you. It can be fixed or swivel and handles bumps like a pro. They can be found on ebay for $199

american_mama
05-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Yes, your expectations are realistic. But a lot of strollers should fit in your category of "must have" items, so it's hard to know what to tell you. I believe the Jeep you mentioned is a fairly inexpensive three wheel stroller that many people like. One poster mentioned that she kicked the wheels even though she is not tall, but your stride may be different.

Here are a few reviews of it:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=27536&mesg_id=27536&listing_type=search
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=32348&mesg_id=32348&listing_type=search
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=28202&mesg_id=28202&listing_type=search

In general, big air filled tires will be smoother to push over any bumps, even pea gravel, although most other strollers should also handle that simple terrain well. Air filled tires have more shock and give to them, and won't make as much noise, but the stroller itself (metal frame, basket, etc.) may still clatter. Graco and Evenflo strollers are famous for getting squeaky wheels and although I happily own an Evenflo which remains squeak free after 2 years of hard use, I have also *heard* many other less lucky owners.

Big, air tires are also heavier and larger, which is something to think about in terms of lifting and trunk space. Definitely try folding those strollers in the store and lifting them a little in that folded state to get a sense of what it will take to get them in and out of your trunk. And get their folded measurements to compare to your trunk size. Some stores (Babies R Us, USA Baby, probably a specialty store) will let you leave your credit card at the customer service desk and take the floor model out to your car to test.

To my knowledge, most strollers with air tires come in either three or four wheel version. A few three wheel strollers have a swivel front wheel (InStep, Schwinn, Allo Baby, Kiwi E3, the new 2004 Zoopers, Mountain Buggy), but most have a fixed front wheel. I believe most four wheel strollers are also fixed wheel, or have front wheels which lean in the direction you are pushing, but don't actually swivel. Swivel wheels are helpful for sharper turns, like in a store, or going around 90 degree corners on a sidewalk. For a track with gradual turns like you walk on, you would probably do OK with either fixed or swivel. It is a matter of personal preference which one you like. Give it a try in the store AND in the open space of the parking lot, if you can, AND with some weight in it to simulate a child.

A very good, descriptive site for three wheel jogging strollers is www.joggingstroller.com. She covers less expensive models and walking strollers in addition to her main focus on running strollers.

I think you will find that strollers have improved a lot over the years. Your requirements are fairly simple; I hope you find something that works for you! Post again with more specific questions, price range, style preferences, or other questions.

Melanie
05-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Definitely! I love mine and my 6 foot hubby doesn't kick the back or hunch.

MamaKath
05-02-2004, 02:25 AM
As Karen said it is a decent option, and she also provided excellent info on some others. My big complaints when looking at the Jeep model were these- tippy, kicked the back, Teflon treated fabric (this doesn't bother most, I am very concerned with the health issues it may cause in various aspects of life) and sturdiness. 4 wheel strollers with fixed wheels and 3 wheel joggers with fixed wheels steer completely differently than each other and something that normally swivels but is locked or in the case of your previous buggy has a reversing handle but not swivel/lock systems on each wheel (the wheels in front want to swivel no matter which end is front, the back should stay straight). The center of gravity is just different on prams and joggers.

HTH answer some questions!