PDA

View Full Version : I need Combi help FAST!

brubeck
09-10-2004, 04:23 PM
I have a Savvy Z that I bought in 2000 when DD was born. I LOVE this stroller. It is awesome. I have been using it for DS and it is still great after almost 4 years of use.

Until last Wednesday. I put it down a curb and when I lowered the front wheels the armrest snapped in 2. The stroller is now unuseable because it tries to fold in on itself when DS sits in it so it is unsafe.

Obviously I am way out of the 1 year warranty. I called Combi and they confirmed that the armrest is part of the frame and it could not be repaired. The stroller is a total loss.

They offered to sell me a new stroller at a discounted price. They offered the Ultra Savvy 2800 (2003 model) for $90 (including shipping, no tax). I looked online and this stroller seems to be selling for anywhere from $150 to $250 for the 2004 model.

I have to call them back Monday if I am going to accept the offer. So my questions are:

Is this a good deal? Should I take it?

What I love about the Savvy Z is the way it folds twice (so compact!) and is very light (approx. 7 pounds). Does the Ultra Savvy do the same?

Are there any special features the Ultra Savvy has (other than acoustic canopy which is useless)?

If I don't take this offer I have an older (not so great quality) stroller that will probably last the 12-18 months I anticipate continuing to use a stroller for DS. It's not that nice, but it is OKAY and would obviously be the cheapest option, but if the Ultra Savvy is really nice I suspect it might be worth the $90 investment.

Thoughts?

essnce629
09-10-2004, 05:04 PM
The Ultra Savvy fully reclines, has the acoustic canopy (which I love), a bigger canopy, is 12lbs, and the seat part can be extended out a little bit (someone told me about 1 1/2 inches which I don't see what benefit that would be). I have the Combi Savvy DX which is exactly the same as the ultra savvy except that mine only has a partial recline and the seat doesn't extend. I love mine too and really like the acoustic canopy (mine came with speakers too, but I'm not sure if the Ultra Savvy includes them). Mine has been great as a mall/errand stroller for a year and I really like it although I do wish it had an adjustable leg rest (which is why I just bought a 2002 Plikomatic).

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif One year and counting!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

chicagojo
09-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I don't have experience with the Savvy Z so I can't compare the features directly, but I can tell you a few things about the Ultra Savvy. It does fold twice and is very compact when folded - I can fit it in the trunk of my Honda Civic along with a week's worth of groceries, no problem. It also has a nice carry strap, which makes it easy to haul around. It's about twice the weight of your Savvy Z, though, at 14 lbs. In terms of other features...I like the full recline, the canopy is quite nice, it came with a collapsible drink/key/phone holder thing that attaches to the handles and folds with the stroller, also came w/speakers for the acoustic canopy, seat fabric detaches easily to wash and air-dries quickly. I have seen 2003 Ultra Savvys for as low as $99 online, but that's before tax and shipping, so I'd say you're getting a fairly good deal. I paid $259 for my 2004 US - yikes! - right when the 2004 model year began.

ginamlee
09-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I own both a Combi Savvy Z and a Combi Ultra Savvy.

I absolutely love my Savvy Z. Or, I should say I LOVED it until our last trip. The closing mechanism broke, and I'm bummed. Combi is replacing it with their new Soho DX, which looks quite nice, but heavier.

Really, the weight of the Savvy Z is what set it apart. The Ultra Savvy folds the same way and even looks really similar. The full recline is nice for a young baby or if you are going for a long enough ride for an older baby to fall asleep. But, for quick errands, the Savvy Z can't be beat.

You will probably like the Ultra Savvy, but you will notice the difference in weight. In fact I'm probably going to be selling my Ultra Savvy. I guess the Savvy Z spoiled me, because the Ultra Savvy seems heavy for a travel stroller now.

Who knows how I'll feel about my Soho DX replacement. It is 12 pounds and the Savvy Z was 7 pounds. We'll see.

I may just have to hunt down another Savvy Z.....

ILoveLT
09-12-2004, 01:49 AM
I saw a Savvy Z at Kidsurplus.com for $99.

Rita

brubeck
09-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the help everyone!

It sounds like the Ultra Savvy is really nice. I know it will be heavier but since I am used to hauling my Twin Savvy around (I only stopped using it a couple of months ago) I suspect it will be okay. I bit the bullet and ordered it this morning and they even had the color I wanted (Ocean) available!

Now all i have to do is wait anxiously for it to arrive, LOL.

I am so excited! I thought I'd never be getting a new stroller again! :D