PDA

View Full Version : Swift stroller vs. Micro or Mini

Shannon P
09-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi there! I am new to this stroller stuff, but I hope that somebody out there can help me. After much research on lightweight strollers, I've decided to get either the Swift or the Micro or the Mini. The problem is that nobody in my area carries any of them; I'm going to have to order the one that I choose without seeing it. I read through the archives and found comparisons to the Micro and the Mini, but I was wondering how they compared to the Swift. Also, I could not find the dimensions of the Micro or the Mini; does anybody know how wide they are?

I will be using the stroller for travel in Europe (by myself) with my son. He's 19 mos. and weighs less than 22 lbs. He's on the tall side. So if anyone, like the wonderful strollerqueen, who has had used all of the strollers can give me a recommendation I would really appreciate it.

Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thank you.

heatherlynn
09-20-2004, 04:22 PM
I've been looking at the Aria, Quest, Swift, and Mini. IMO, the Swift is too heavy. It's 15 pounds (per Strollerqueen) not the 13 listed and I didn't think it steered as well as the other 3 (although it's also about $100 cheaper). I love the Mini, the few times I've looked at it. I tried out the Micro and found it "tippy" when I leaned on the handles to push it.

Anyway, I'm not sure I've helped you, but I think I would rule out the Swift just because of the weight. It certainly feels "heavy".

H-
Heather
dd Gabrielle 3/98
ds Matthew 8/5/04!

writeleigh
09-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi! I have a Micro and absolutely love it. Looks like at it's widest point (the bottom where the wheels are) it's 18 1/2 inches. You do mean measuring across the front, not from front to back, right?

Shannon P
09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the measurements and help with my question.

egoldber
09-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Where will you be in Europe and how will you be using it? I ask this, because I just returned from a trip to Europe myself with the Micro. The super light weight of the Micro was important to me because I was traveling by train by myself with DD (and also a suitcase and 2 bags).

If it were not for the train trip, I would have honestly preferred a much heavier and more stable stroller. We were in Amsterdam, Berlin, and Brussels, and I often wished for a bigger, more stable stroller with large airfilled tires!

Shannon P
09-22-2004, 12:29 AM
For this trip I will be in London; there may me a train trip to Ireland but I am undecided on that. I will be going to Mannheim and Heidleberg within the next six months and there is a chance that I will be going to the Czech Republic and Austria sometime in the next year.

If I were to relocate to Europe, anywhere in Europe, I would definetly get an all-terrain stroller. I know exactly what you mean about the airfilled tires; I was afraid that my son was going to have shaken baby syndrome from going over all of the cobblestones during our last trip!

For now, I'm hoping to get by with a relatively light weight stroller that will be easy to get on and off of public transportation(with a child in it), fit into stores, be easy to use (i.e. open & close, steer) for me, and be comfortable for my son. And, I don't want to spend more than $150.

egoldber
09-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Honestly, at the very least, I would take something Pliko/P3 sized. The larger strollers are actually easier to get on and off public transport because of the longer wheelbase. My friend that I was with in Berlin has a 2 year old DS. Her two strollers were a Teutonia Y2K and a Quinny that is similar in size to a Pliko. I would have preferred either of her strollers most of the time to mine. She got them on and off public transport with no trouble at all.

But IMO, the Micro is not really stable enough for use on rough streets.

HTH,

Shannon P
09-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Funny that you should mention the Pliko/P3...When I was first thinking of getting a travel stroller I checked out every one that I saw when I was out. That was by far my favorite! It had the umbrella fold, the snack tray (which we use often), the basket, and the parent cup holder; everything that I wanted in a stroller! But, it was out of my price range. Actually,it's my husband's price range; he doesn't understand why I can't just use the free umbrella stroller that I got from BRU.

I read that the Mini has nubbier wheels...maybe it is better. Have you seen the Swift? If so, how does that compare?

By the way, thank you so much for your time and input. I'm leaving in 10 days and am starting to get stressed about buying a stupid stroller! I need to save my stress for the trip! (An active 19 month old on my lap for 8 hours...)

Smiles81
09-22-2004, 12:07 PM
I ordered a swift and it should be coming in a day or two, I'll let you know what I think then.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

cuca_
09-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I have a Swift and really like it. I can't compare it to the Micro or Mini, though, because I have not seen one IRL. We keep the Swift at my parents' house, so we don't use it all the time, but I have had it for about 8 mos., and have no complaints. It's light, easy to fold, and DD seems pretty comfy in it. I also looked at the Maclarens when I purchased it, but since it was to be a second stroller, which we would only use ocassionally, I couldn't justify spending the extra $$.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003

egoldber
09-22-2004, 03:03 PM
I have seen the Swift, but I have never used one. It is similar in size to the middle range Macs (Quest/Triumph). I have also used a Mac Mistral (older version of Quest) in Europe when we went to France for 3 weeks when DD was 9 months old. Honestly, we destroyed that Mac Mistral in France from using it on the cobblestones. I had to buy another one when we came home to replace it. It is also not a stroller for extended use on rough urban terrain.

I know nothing about the Mini. But my issue with the light weight strollers and the rough terrain has to do with the stability of the stroller's frame to withstand being "shaken". I don't think that the real issue is the wheel size, although large wheels are certainly helpful.

I totally understand your desire for a super lightweight. But a stronger stroller will be your friend.

Have a good trip!