PDA

View Full Version : Outgrew the Kolocraft Car Carrier--now what!

Tizzylish
09-21-2004, 05:07 PM
I read this board occassinally and get so confused everytime I visit! You are all so knowledgeable about strollers. We have the car seat carrier which I love, but she is definitely outgrowing it at six months! So, I need make decision on something...soon.

I'm just looking for a stroller to go on walks in our neighborhood and run errands. I'd like something lightweight to fit in the back of my 04 Accord. I like the parent tray on the Kolocraft and the big basket. Outside of that, no other stroller experience or comments!

I know there are so many options--I'd love to hear some suggestions. I live in a small Wisconsin city, so minimal opporunity to take them for "test drives" so will be puchasing online from your opinions!

tippy
09-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Ahhhh, sad day, sad day...I still remember the day I retired my Kolcraft. I was depressed, really. It was still one of my alltime favorite baby products. My neighbors are having their second child in Oct so I am resurecting it for them.

As far as your question..there are so many good strollers out there it's a hard call. I really had to go to the local baby store and try a few out. After a lot of research, and a test drive I narrowed my choice down to the Mac Techno XT, Peg Perego P-3 and the Inglesina Zippy. I went with the P-3. Here's why,
I liked the childrens snack tray on the p-3 (didn't come on the mac or zippy).
I liked the ride on board in the back of the P-3 for older child to stand on (didn't come on mac or zippy)
I loved the hood coverage. Better than the other two by far.
I liked the harness on the P-3.
Once I got the hang of it I liked the open/close mechanism of the P- 3 and that it could stand on it's own. It is relatively lightweight for a stroller that offers so much. You can really load the bags on and not have to worry about tipping if you will be using it to shop. (the macs are a little tippy)
Textured wheels make it good on most terrain.
It has a full recline and the snack tray pops off so it is ideal for diaper changes when needed.
Multi position foot rest.
It has a smallish basket and a cup holder that isn't that great but I just hang a mesh bag on the handles and throw my water bottle in there.
Not cheap but not out there either. You can find good deals on line.
That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure others will post some suggestions on their favorites. This one is mine. I have only used this stroller besides my Kolcraft and find it suits all my needs. That said, I don't jog or take it to the beach. HTH and let us know what you decide.

jubilee
09-23-2004, 03:47 AM
I just spent hours upon hours researching different strollers (and then test driving them) - and I tell you it's SO, SO helpful to see and test the strollers in person. Every stroller has a different feel to the ride/push, a different technique to the open or closure. Things that I thought were important before I did the test drives changed as I actually looked at the stroller. Like for example, I was against the umbrella two handle style, but once I tried some quality ones- I loved it! And there are some things people don't tell you online- like I was trying out the Peg Aria, and I couldn't undo the harness. My son was stuck in the stroller. The clips just wouldn't release, and the salesguy had to do it. It's just simply hard for me, I must have weak hands (I do have carpel tunnel). All that said, I did narrow my search to the Peg Perego P3 and the Maclaren Techno. I think both are quality strollers that could see you through toddlerhood. Have fun shopping!!

newmommy1
09-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Did anyone try out the Mac Global Buggy? Seems to have a bit more to offer than the Techno, like napper bar and car seat attachment. Any thoughts on this one???