PDA

View Full Version : Got my Valco Runabout + Toddler Seat- Pics/Review inside!

MorganMom
09-25-2004, 01:15 AM
After debating and agonizing about whether to go w/an E3 or a Runabout, I decided on the Runabout in Cherry. The Runabout won because of the higher weight limit on the toddler seat (DS was already at the limit on the E3's seat) and also because of the points Strollerqueen brought up: more useable storage in doubles mode, slightly plusher, etc.. My biggest concern was that I couldn't see the Valco IRL so I was pretty nervous about ordering a $400+ stroller sight unseen! LOL

I needn't have worried...I ordered from Rodney's site (www.kiwi-kid.com) and I just got the stroller today. First off, let me say that I am already in love w/this stroller!!! LOL And even more amazing, DH LOVES it too!

THE GOOD (so far):
-Easy to put together- had it assembled in about 10 min, despite being 7mos PG.
-Love the steering- we took it for a walk round the neighborhood and DH raved about how easy it was to push & steer even one handed.
-Lots of pockets/storage space. Big basket that's still somewhat accessible when the main seat is fully reclined.
-Pretty easy to fold once I figured it out.
-Toddler seat easy to install/take off.
-Plush!! I was worried the toddler seat would be uncomfortable for DS (it looked small in the pics), but DS fit w/plenty of room to grow and he didn't complain a bit about it. In fact, DS *loves* the toddler seat and wanted to "ride ride ride outside" as soon as he saw it. LOL
-I really like the flat recline of the main seat. Plus the way the fabric unfolds from the back means that if you have a newborn in there, it creates a little bassinette that is almost fully enclosed. I can see loading the baby in the main seat from the back so he's facing me if I want.
-At first I was worried there wasn't any leg room for the rider in the main seat when you use the toddler seat...but DS rode in the main seat and his legs just slid under the toddler seat w/room to spare. Even if there was a bigger kid in the toddler seat, I think they'd be ok with their feet touching for a a while.
-DS didn't mind riding in the main seat with the toddler seat folded under his legs. It props up his legs a little but he still looked comfy.
-The whole stroller feels very sturdy and durable, probably because of the aluminium frame. Not much plastic-y feel to this stroller at all.
-Folds small enough to fit in the back of my PT Cruiser, even with the toddler seat attached!!!! Woohoo!
-DH liked the wide stance of the back wheels alot. He said it made the Valco feel very stable compared to the Jeep 3wheeler we had before.
-The front wheel is really easy to remove and replace. Took me about 5 seconds to do it.
-Despite having just DS in the toddler seat, the stroller didn't seem overly tippy. This was a major concern of DH's, but the way the toddler seat is placed almost directly over the front wheel makes it pretty stable. The only time it got tippy was going sideways up an incline (which Strollerqueen had mentioned). If we had two kids in there, it'd probably be less off-balance.

THE NOT SO GOOD:
-The directions were pretty bad! LOL Luckily I've had a lots of practice w/strollers and I'm mechanically inclined so I could figure out a lot of the stuff w/out the directions.
-The locking strap is a little hard to affix w/the toddler seat in place.
-The fold will take some getting used to...requires 3 steps to fold and is a little awkward for me to open.
-Will have to buy an umbrella for the toddler seat (tho I don't really mind that and DS loves umbrellas!)
-Heavier than my other strollers (P3, Venezia), but it's a double where the others are singles so I can't complain.

In the 1/2 hr stroll we took around the neighborhood, we had 4 people stop us to ask us about the Valco. I got the Cherry Red and it's really a pretty color. Not too flashy but different. DH said it looks very "European" and that I'll be the envy of the other mall moms! ;) :D I was very surprised by DH's reaction, but he said this stroller was def. worth the $$$ and he's really impressed by the engineering and who 'efficient' it is (can you tell he's a computer consultant!? LOL).

Anyways, some pics of the stroller by itself and also w/DS in the toddler seat (w/a mouthful of pretzels :+ )

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13620.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13621.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13623.jpg

mommieo5
09-25-2004, 01:53 AM
My boys are 18 mo apat and in a sbs twin they at 15m amd 2.9 years are starting tp poke at each other ect I need to seperate them. Im torn between valco and ABC do you think there would be a lot of whacking or reaching the toddler seat rider from the main seat rider?? The ABC the toddler seat sits on top of the hood so they can't reach but the valco looks more stable to me thanks

COElizabeth
09-25-2004, 05:36 AM
Great review and wonderful pictures! Thank you!

In another post, someone asked (and I chipped in saying I wanted to know, as well) whether you could fit a car seat in the Runabout with the toddler seat attached. I know that the car seat adaptor bar is meant for use without the toddler seat attached, but the pp and I were wondering if you could just plop the seat and have it be secure enough for a short errand (no running!) when you don't necessarily want to take the newborn out of the car seat. Someone else said her Evenflo seat was too wide to fit in the Runabout with or without the toddler seat, but I am wondering whether a Peg car seat or Snugride would work. If you have one of those infant seats, would you mind checking?

TIA!

houseof3boys
09-25-2004, 11:16 AM
It is a gorgeous stroller!!! I would get the exact same color.

Now, you are making my decision even more difficult between this and the abc. My kids will be 20 months apart and I am just more confused now!!!! :P

annasmom
09-25-2004, 09:34 PM
That stroller looks great, I LOVE the color! By the way, your son is adorable, so handsome! You mentioned that you got a double, is it a double or a single with a toddler seat?? I am interested in the Valco double stroller, but have some time before I need to buy. Did you look at the MBUD as well? If you did, I would be interested in knowing what you thought. TIA!!! Eileen

MorganMom
09-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Hmm...I dunno. If your littler kid has long arms and wasn't totally harnessed in, he'd prolly be able to touch the kid in the toddler seat.

W/the ABC, I've heard it's very stable having the toddler seat on top. THe big reason I went w/the Runabout over the ABC was that DS hates facing me in shopping carts, etc...and he'd be facing me if we toddler seat on the ABC.

MorganMom
09-25-2004, 11:28 PM
We don't use infant carriers & my neighbor with the carrier is gone for the weekend so unfortunately I can't find out about this one. The main seat looks wide enough that you'd be able to wedge a carrier in there, but I'm not 100% sure about the fit.

Lemme see if I can borrow a carrier sometime this next week and try it out.

MorganMom
09-25-2004, 11:33 PM
My Runabout is the single w/a toddler seat.

I did have a chance to look at the MBUD and E3 IRL before buying the Runabout. I know lots of people rave about the MBUD but it wouldn't work for us because it's waaaaay too huge to fit into the back of my car (PT Cruiser). The MBUD does push really nicely and looks to be a great stroller, but I was more interested in a stroller that could convert from double to singles mode so that when DS#1 outgrew strollers, I could still use it as a single for the younger DS. I just really didn't want to have a SBS that I would end up using as a single most of the time.

Mommaof2
09-26-2004, 10:23 AM
great color choice, thanks for the review and pics. I saw one at Sesame Street place and the mom was LOVING it

sobers3
09-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Thank you so much for your review and especially the Pictures! Nothing is better to help with making a stroller decision than to see a photo with a child in the seat. Would it be possible for you to post a photo with your DS in the main seat with the seat upright and the Toddler Seat attached? I'd love to see the head room with the canopy and the leg room under the Toddler Seat. If you could I would really appreciate it!

egoldber
09-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Would you mind sharing youe DS height and weight? I am considering this combo, but after seeing the pix of your son, I am afraid she may be too tall for it. He doesn't look like he has any extra leg room. My DD is 33 pounds and 37 inches tall.

Thanks!!

MorganMom
09-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Ok, here's DS (30ish lbs and +/- 36in) in the main seat, which is almost fully upright- there is one more adjustment to upright but I could hardly get him to sit still long enough for these pics! LOL Sorry about the crappy backlighting in the first one but these were the two best out of all the ones I managed to get.

As you can see, there's still room for legs to slide under the toddler seat.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13708.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13709.jpg

Hopefully you can see in the second one that his head is still a good 6-8 inches below the top of the main seat. The little black "Valco baby" tag is visible right above the top of the seat.

HTH!

priscilla73
09-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Your ds is so adorable!!!! The Toddler seat folds down doesn't it? How does it fold? Does it rest on top of the footrest when it's folded?

Thank you for taking the time to post pictures. Your son is such a cutie!

sobers3
09-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Thank you soooo much. The photos help a lot! There is much more room than I thought under the Toddler Seat. I'm wondering if the view is really blocked for the rider in the main seat by the toddler seat? My DGS s are deaf and they really get cranky if they can't see everything. So, I'm trying to decide between the Valco and the ABC. The ABC is on top but then they are looking backwards. I know how hard it is to get them to do something when they don't feel like it! So thanks for the pictures. Your son is so adorable. I hope he loves his new stroller! Thank you again!

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Honestly...that stroller is beautiful!!!!!!
and your son is adorable!!!!!
I'm about to buy the ABC but have to say if I knew much more about this one I might get it instead...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER SENT TO UKRAINE-siblings

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

egoldber
09-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks for adding his stats. I am actually more concerned with DD outgrowing the toddler seat, not the main stroller with the toddler seat attached. I am pretty sure the baby will ride in the main part of the stroller until DD outgrows the toddler seat. And you DS being 36" and not having a ton of leg room in the toddler seat sort of confirms my worries.

Hmm. Much to think about. Thanks for posting such a detailed review!!

cimberdog
09-27-2004, 04:14 PM
It's beautiful! Wow, I might like that better than my E3!

twizzli
09-28-2004, 12:19 AM
thanks for the review and pics. I'm thinking about getting this combo, but am concerned about the lack of rain coverage....any ideas?

MorganMom
09-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Toddler seat folded and attached to the stroller...thought my DS would be uncomfortable w/it like this but it squishes down a little more and he just props his feet up on it.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13746.jpg

Stroller w/out the toddler seat or napper bar:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13747.jpg

Folded toddler seat, removed from the stroller. Only takes about 30 seconds to remove.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13748.jpg

Folded stroller w/out the toddler seat:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13749.jpg

Folded stroller with the toddler seat. I leave the toddler seat on and take the front wheel off and it fits perfectly in the back of my car. Front wheel removal is practically just a pushbutton-really fast. The stroller is not much more bulky w/the toddler seat still attached.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13750.jpg

MorganMom
09-28-2004, 01:39 AM
We live in southern CA so rain coverage isn't really an issue for us. The Runabout does come w/a rain cover, but it only works in the single mode without the toddler seat.

I'm planning on getting a parasol for the toddler seat...would an umbrella work for the rain?

twizzli
09-28-2004, 01:04 PM
thanks again for all these pics. I tried to play with it in USA baby but the salespeople were hovering...
About the parasol umbrella, could you explain/post a link to what you mean? how does it attach to the stroller and how much are they?
Thanks!!!

shyviolet
09-29-2004, 12:43 AM
That is one beautiful stroller!! I really wish I hadn't seen it though, because now I can't stop thinking about it, even though I don't "need" it!

sbonder
10-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi there, great looking stroller. Any chance you have been able to determine if a Peg infannt carrier would fit with the toddler seat on?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

ksenn
10-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know what is the weight limit on the back and front seats? It seems that most people use the front for the older one and the back seat for the younger, but what about the opposite? Will the back fit an older child (around 4) or is it just too small of a space between the front and the leg room in the back?

Pics would be great! :)

TIA

Kristen

bubbaray
10-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Ditto!

Do you think I could justify an MBUS AND a Valco?!?! LOL! I'm crazy!

Does anyone know if the Valco is an aluminum frame? That's my main beef with the E3 (that and the weight limit).

TIA

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

catfeet
10-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Yep, the Valco has an aluminum frame.

Ann

jendalymd
10-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Weight limit for the toddler seat is a big ol' 45 lbs. Combined kid weight of 90 lbs. Whereas the e3 toddler seat has a max weight of 30 lbs, but I've seen moms who have put bigger kids in there as well.
And there looks like there is decent leg room in the back with the toddler seat on. Not a ton of space, but you can tuck your feet under there. I'm not sure about the back kid kicking the front kid though.