PDA

View Full Version : Techno XT vs P3 for city newborn?

dmlbonjour
09-25-2004, 12:21 PM
We are currently leaning towards the Techno XT to use from birth on. We live in Paris and I am quite petite and need a lightweight everyday stroller to navigate very narrow supermarket ailses, and use on city sidewalks, the metro, the bus, and in the park. We were also considering the P3, but it is slightly more expensive, heavier, and bigger. Everyone here seems to buy a P3 or similar stroller to begin with but within 6 months has bought a Mac. We would rather avoid this costly two step process and just use the Techno XT from the beginning if possible. What do you guys think?

The concerns that keep coming up are these:
1) the Techno XT seat is not very plush when compared to the P3 - we have no problem though springing for the fleece insert/footmuff (baby due early November.) Is that enough additional "padding" for a newborn to be comfortable?

2) The ride height of the Techno XT is lower than the P3 putting the child closer to exhaust fume level on the sidewalk. Does the couple of inches of height that is gained with the P3 make that much of a difference? (This is something salespeople keep saying, but I have a hard time believing it makes that much of a difference.)

3) Is the Techno XT sturdy enough to handle the rough inner city terrain?

4) Is either one of these easier to steer one-handed? (I have 2 dogs that need to be walked as well!)

and lastly

5) Are the handles of the Techno XT too tall for someone of my size? I am 5ft 1.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Michelle

jubilee
09-26-2004, 02:47 AM
I have the Techno Classic (same as the XT, just a fabric difference). I am 5'3" and find the handles just fine. While I push, my arms are almost parallel to the ground- which I REALLY like, because it's the same posture as typing (which is gentler on my wrists, I have carpal tunnel.) The Techno is very easy to push one handed. I carried a few packages to the mail in one arm, while pushing with the other hand- and I had no problems. I've never used the Techno for an infant, but I tend to think it wouldn't be comfortable for the baby. The straps would insert into the seat at about the ear level! But since the baby would be lying down, not sitting, maybe that doesn't make any difference at all. On my toddler, the straps are fine, but he's 34" tall. I live in a mild climate (in winter we average 50 degrees) so I personally wouldn't get a footmuff. Last winter I just threw a blanket over him while we were out. Cheaper and more easily washable. I also find it interesting that the P3 is more expensive- in my area of the US the Techno is $20 more. And I wanted to add that exhaust floats everywhere, I'd just do my best to keep baby away from the cars and maybe use a rain shield (which the Techno comes with) to keep exhaust off the baby if you're real concerned. Hope that helps!!

essnce629
09-26-2004, 02:58 AM
I was at USA baby today and tried my 13 month old son in a Techno. It's true, the straps are so high and there are no other lower slots to adjust them. My son is about 30 inches tall the the straps came out at his ear level and brushed against his face. Needless to say, he was not very happy and wouldn't sit in the stroller at all. I have no idea why they don't make different slots to adjust the straps (like car seats have). It seam like a major design flaw to me. Anyone else agree?

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif One year and counting!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

happymom2b
09-26-2004, 03:58 PM
I have been going back and forth between registering for the P3 or the Mac Techno as well. (I will be using the Kolcraft Universal for the first 6 months). I just got home from a street fair and saw macs severywhere. They seemed more popular and more compact than the P3 for the year old+ baby population. Is this true?

baby
09-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I'm having the same debate, except with the tehcno vs. zippy.
I want to get the techno so badly because its so much lighter and seems easier to get around with and I love the high handles. I just feel like the zippy is going to be too bulky and i'll just end up with a techno. but i have to say today i saw a baby about 5 months i would say, who had the straps up to his face. he looked very uncomfortable. it upset me so much because i really want this stroller but how can i get it if my baby wont be comfortable in it until he's so much older. i dont know what to do. till i decide i will have a kolcraft.

tippy
09-27-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm a P-3 gal. It's the only stroller aside from my beloved Kolcraft Universal that I've had. I don't feel the need for another one. The things I liked most about the P-3 over the techno (I was also comparing the two) were:

The seat in the Mac seemed to low to the ground for me and was not as "upright" as the P-3.
The hood coverage was much better on the P-3.
Ride on board on back of P-3
I know I'm probably in the minority here but I actually found the P-3 easier to fold
I felt the wheels on the P-3 would do better on rough streets and sidewalks (most threads on this topic will agree)
More padded than Mac (more comfortable for ds)
Removable snack tray
Floating 5 point harness
I'm 5ft 4 and felt the Mac was a bit too "tall" for me.
The P-3 handles are adjustable and feel like a better fit.
One of the main reasons I love this stroller is that you can really load on the bags without it tipping. I know from other threads that the Macs are a bit tippier.

There is more that I love about this stroller but I'll stop here. HTH and that you make the best decision for your needs!

dmlbonjour
09-27-2004, 02:39 AM
Thanks you guys for all of your suggestions. I hadn't even thought about the shoulder straps. But, wouldn't you have the same issue with any fully reclining stroller that is used from birth on? Do you think it would be possible to buy an infant headrest attachment to take care of that? Does the fact that the techno XT straps are padded help at all? (I can't remember if the Classic are padded or not.)

Do the P3 shoulder straps work for a newborn? We don't have a car and won't be buying a car seat. We also wanted to avoid buying the click in basinette since it is an extra $150 AND brings the total weight of the P3 up to a whopping 27 pounds.

I saw on Stroll and Go that the new Technos (2005) will have adjustable height shoulder straps and headrest. Anybody have any knowledge as to when those will be available?

As far as dimensions between the P3 and the Techno are concerned, here is the comparison that I have found:

Opened: (in centmeters)
P3 H 102.5, W 53.5
Techno H 112, W 48

Closed:
P3 H 102.5, W 39.3
Techno H 108, W 25

Wheel Size:
P3 16
Techno 16.5

Weight:
P3 17.6 pounds
Techno 15 pounds

So the techno is smaller on all counts (except for height and wheelsize) - I realize the differences aren't huge, but every little bit counts. As far as price between the two is concerned, here the P3 Completo is $256 whereas the Techno is $193. (Macs are much cheaper here than in the US.)

We were all set to get the P3 until we talked to people and they had all switched to a Mac within a relatively short period of time.

This is all just too confusing......

-Michelle

jubilee
09-27-2004, 05:57 AM
I'm posting a pic of my son in the Techno so you can see the strap placement. It's pretty high even for him. The padded cover is great for the straps, very soft and suede. DS is 34" tall and is almost 18 months old. Hope that helps you visualize it.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13333.jpg

mamagoosie
09-27-2004, 12:54 PM
We have a late november (2002) kiddo and the Kolcraft/Mac Techno combination has worked very well for us. We are city folks as well. The XT does great in narrow aisles, over rough terrain, etc. It folds up in a snap, and is light enough for a small person to carry in and out of cabs/subway, etc.

I would not recommend it for a newborn but the Kolcraft worked great for the first few months. In fact, I was sad to give it up. Once baby is more or less sitting up with assistance, the Mac is an awesome stroller.

My parents (burb dwellers) have a P3 and I hate trying to steer that thing after getting used to my Mac--I just can't seem to do it one-handed--and getting in and out of stores is a huge pain. It also seems much wider and heavier. I could trade strollers with my parents if I wanted to, but for our needs the Techno is much better.

I don't know if this is an option for you living overseas, but if at all possible, wait until the 2005 models come out. I didn't wait and the later model had significant improvements--and dd didn't use the Mac in the early months anyway.

After two years and a lot of abuse (including several trips as checked luggage) out Techno is still going strong. Nothing has broken or come apart.

Bottom line: the needs of newborns and toddlers are so different that it's nearly impossible to find one "perfect" stroller. Because of cost/space limitations, I didn't want to end up with a bunch of different strollers, but the kolcraft was so cheap, it provided a good solution until she was old enough for the Mac.

Also I am 5'0 and find the height on the Mac is just fine.

Good luck--

bubbaray
09-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Have you considered the new Chicco Ct 0.1? It is available in France now. It replaces the Chicco 2002, which I have. I LOVE my Chicco -- it is much more plush than my 2003 Peg Perego Pliko and steers like a dream one-handed. The suspension is better than the Pliko or the P3 too (a consideration for the bumpy Parisian "sidewalks"/cobblestones). I would thinkthat the Ct0.1 would be EVEN BETTER than the 2002. Plus, the colors are tres cool!!!

I don't like how low the Macs are myself. JMHO, though -- lots of other city folks love them. A friend of mine recently returned a Mac Techno Classic because the handles were too high -- she is 5'1".

HTH

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

bfranc
09-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Michelle,
I have the same concerns as you! I too have been going through the Techno XT vs. P3 vs. Zippy debate. After spending hours "test driving" each I found that the Techno was the only stroller of the 3 that I felt comfortable lifting! Even though the weight difference is only a few lbs the others were really hurting my back whne I lifted them. We tested it in the store with a snuzzler fleece and felt that it seemed just as plush as the others with that addition. Yesterday, I was in NYC and saw THOUSANDS of Technos EVERYWHERE!!!! I finally asked someone if she used hers with a newborn and she said yes! She told me that its the "only" stroller to get from newborn up and absolutely loves hers. With that said, my latest plan is to buy a snap and go and get the 2005 Techno when it comes out. I'm due in January so hopefully the 2005 will come out before the baby reaches 4 months.
I hope this helps you....good luck with your decision!
Barb

Jennymarie
09-27-2004, 02:13 PM
We have an 04 Techno Classic, and I used it for my son for the first time when he was about 15-16 lbs and 26 inches long.

I agree that the harness straps are way too high for a newborn (they're too high for my son even now). BUT the Snuzzler makes all the difference. You can sort of channel the straps through the spaces in it, and that seems to hold the harness straps in place pretty well.

As far as the height, I think it would be awkward for you. I'm 5'7", and I like the height, but as soon as I tried it I remember thinking if I was any shorter it would be really awkward to use.

If you don't want to spend the money on a second stroller, I would seriously consider a SnapnGo for your infant carrier before graduating to the Mac. Its an inexpensive and very convenient option for those first few months, especially if your baby is on the small side. My petite friends (who had petite kids) were able to use their Snap n Go for 7 months.

dmlbonjour
09-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks again for all your suggestions! The hitch is that we don't have a car, so we won't be buying a car seat/carrier, so the Kolcraft or Snap n Go really aren't options for us. We do however have the Baby Bjorn Active carrier (has been fixed since recall) and I think I will try to use that as much as possible until the baby fits in the Techno. I will have to ask at the store as to when the 2005's are due in and whether the shoulder strap issue will be fixed by then.

One question that I have is that everyone says you need a completely flat recline for a newborn, yet you can use carseats in strollers. I find this confusing because the carseats don't recline all the way do they?

I did go look at the Chicco ct 0.1 (very "design") but their instruction say that it can't be used for children under 6 months without a car seat or basinette. Plus it looks like once you add the things you need it gets to be more $ than the Peg. :(

Thanks again for your help!

-Michelle

bubbaray
09-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Hmm, that is odd about the Chicco. Their website even shows a pretty flat recline (looks about 160 degrees to me). Pity -- I just think they look very urban!

Good luck with your choices.

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

essnce629
09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I would definately wait for the 2005 model then if they are going to have adjustable straps. That would definately be a plus in my book. I have no idea why they don't have different harness slots. Even my Combi Savvy DX has two harness heights and the 11 month old baby I babysit full time is still petite enough to use the lower slots. I personally wouldn't use a Mac with a newborn-- there's just not enough padding, even for my 13 month old. But I guess with a Snuzzler insert it would help. I'm another fan of napper/snack tray's though since my son loves to put his feet up on them and now that he's eating on his own I always find myself giving him a handful of dry snacks on his tray to keep him content when we're in the store. I just bought a Pliko (older P3 model) and I really like it except it didn't come with a child's tray. Fortunately, however, Peg did make them and I was able to get one from a lady on the swap boards :). I do like the look of the Techno though and the way it steers, but I couldn't see myself using one until my son was around 2 years old and really didn't need the padding and snack tray any more. JMO.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif One year and counting!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

Jennymarie
09-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Will you never take the baby in a car at all? Taxi? There are some infant carriers that are designed to be used without a base. I would think you would at least want one of these to use with the baby, even if you only occasionally step foot in a taxi.

But in any event, assuming you won't need the carseat/carrier, an infant can be *very* comfortable reclining as long as the bottom part of the seat is like a bucket, rather than flat. The car seat/carriers are a bit lower at the butt and higer towards the knees, so the baby never slumps. Strollers for older children (like the Maclarens) tend to have flat bottoms, hence infants like mine who can't sit up yet tend to slide down/slump in them -- especially when the straps aren't designed to fit them securely.

Have you looked at the Maclaren Global? I haven't seen it IRL, but its supposed to have a "pram mode" - I think this means that it can be adjusted to recline flat and face you? Perhaps this would suit your needs better?

dmlbonjour
09-27-2004, 06:45 PM
We only rent a car once or twice a year for vacation and can rent a car seat with the car from Hertz. And no, we really don't take taxis - only at night if we are coming home late from dinner and well....that part of life is on hold for a while! :) Public transport is so great here, that we never really need a taxi during the day.

Thanks for clearing up the carrier/stroller/lying flat confusion! I have always wondered about that.

Yep - we did look into the Global, but unfortuantely, it isn't sold at the moment in France - but that is a good suggestion for other people who may be following this thread!

-Michelle

newmominCA
09-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Hi - can you post a picture of the new chicco?

Their website doesn't work with my browser.

- thanks!

tippy
09-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Just wanted to point out that the poster mentioned that they don't have a car and won't be buying a car seat so I thing the Kolcraft is out for them..Too bad because it was one of my most loved baby products of all times.

bubbaray
09-27-2004, 11:50 PM
They have a flash presentation with the new orange/navy color -- very VERY cool!

Here is another color combination from the Italian website (which has English on it too, so you can read about and drool over what you could buy over in Italy!). Also, it comes in other colors (though the orange one is my fav) -- looks like all black, a navy print, etc.

Plus, my beloved Chicco 2002 is still available for purchase over there.... Maybe I should move!

Melissa

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13740.jpg

tippy
09-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Michelle,

Since you won't be purchasing a car seat and the snap n go and Kolcraft aren't an option for you I wanted to mention the option of using a sling/baby bjorn for the early months.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry I hadn't read ahead in the posts so I didn't see that you had addressed this :o