PDA

View Full Version : Help! It's come down to the MBUD and Mac TT - need input

MommaCheryl
09-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Ok - after more and more research, I've decided to narrow the search to the MBUD and the Mac Twin Traveller.

Background - I have a 2 yo that primarily uses his Mac Daytripper. I am expecting twins, and plan on using the double snap and go until they outgrow the infant seats.

SO! I'm searching for a stroller to use after that. I have an opportunity to go to a store in Chicago that carries the MBUD in October, and I'm headed for bedrest in January, so I'm hoping to get this issue squared away sooner rather than later.

SO! Who has used both? Anyone? Which would you choose, if you had it to do all over again?

My biggest concern between the two is the folded size, and a little bit of the weight.

Otherwise, I know they're both great strollers, each with a unique set of options.

Primary use will be typical suburban uses - neighborhood walks on smooth roads/new sidewalks, mall walking, etc. We plan on biking for the majority of our off road experiences, so we will use our Burley's for that.

SO! Enough of the so's, right?

But, what would you pick??????

And as an aside - are the great new Mac colors being applied to the TT in 2005, too?

Cheryl
ds 8.23.02
twins! 4.20.05

MommaCheryl
09-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Anyone?

No one has ANY opinion on either of these?

Cheryl

hardysmom
09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
I think I've answered one of your posts before... Basically, you have a good grasp of the 2. Both are good... If you live in a newer neighborhood with smooth sidewalks, will mostly use the stroller indoors, and are concerned with weight/fold I'd get the TT. I use my MB all the time indoors, but I need the all-terrain capability for walking in my neighborhood. I see people pushing Macs around on outdoor walks all the time, so I know it can be done.

Keep in mind that for the first year or so, you shouldn't bike with the babies. Certainly not until they are sitting and have decent torso control. Given Chicago winters, that would mean that is only your first summer in which you might need something which could hanldle rougher stuff.

Lets assume you'll have the babies at 38 weeks, which would be the beginning of April, right? My girls were born at 37 weeks, on March 24th, 2004. Anyway, it will still be pretty cool up there and the babies will be tiny and you probably won't do much besides walk around the block for the first few weeks-- and that is being ambitious! So really, you don't NEED anything until the first of May... it might not be a bad idea to figure out what you want, but hold off of ordering until the babies come home. I actually ordered my MBUD from my hospital bed the day after the twins were born!

I was on modified bedrest for the last 10 weeks. Trust me, it isn't so bad to save a few things to do while you are trapped in bed!! I used to hang out on the sofa all day waiting for the UPS guy.

Lots of significant changes are in store for the 2005 MBUDs, so you could either get a souped-up 2005 in Feb-March or buy a 2004 for a great price after they were clearing out. Personally, the extra 3 lbs will make it quite heavy and I rather like the non-adjustible handlebar. So far as the TT goes, I'm guessing that there will be some new fabrics. Of course, the new Silver Cross MicroTwin will be out by then as well.

While visiting my sister in Chicago, I shopped strollers at Galt Baby on Mich. Ave. It is a nice store with several top-end strollers.

Good luck
Stephanie

cimberdog
09-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Not sure if this helps at all, but my friend and I got together and lined up our fleet. I took a picture of her Mac Rally Twin (so not the TT) next to my MBUD. She has twins who are turning two next month and didn't need all the recline options. She got the lilac color and it's beautiful!

Rally Twin and MBUD

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13822.jpg

From L to R:
'04 Aria Twin, Mac Volo, Kiwi E3 v2, Rally Twin, MBUD, Schwinn double jogger, Mac Techno XT
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13824.jpg

MommaCheryl
09-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Thank you both for your help!

Those pictures really help - so much easier to compare when they're right there!

I have to say, at this time, I'm really leaning toward the MBUD. I think I may be able to get the Rally Twin or TT later if we get in a situation where heaving the MBUD in and out of the minivan just gets to be too much.

I can't wait to test them both out! I'll be able to really put them to the test, too, with two two year old boys to help me test drive!

Thanks, again, for all the help.

Cheryl

cimberdog
09-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I love the MBUD. It's got such great steering. I did notice that the Rally Twin didn't feel to me like it had the traditional buttery Mac steering to which I'm accustomed with my Volo and Techno XT. However, we were pushing over uneven grassy areas and gravel so it's probably not a fair comparison.

What also surprised me was how much SMALLER those Mac seats are on the double! Wow - were they ever short and narrow looking. The MBUD had lots more room from how it looked, but in all honesty we didn't get to test drive them all with the kids. Perhaps it's just visual and the seats really aren't that much smaller, but my kiddo with his long legs would never stay in that Mac double. As it is, he's decided he hates the Techno and refuses to stay in it on any outing anymore. Therefore I bought my friends Aria Twin rather than getting a Mac double for my 'smaller' double. As for now we use the Kiwi all the time - I can't wait for baby #2 to arrive in Feb so I can use the MBUD more. It's such a great stroller. Bulkier to fold and lift in\out than a Mac double, but well worth it IMO.

kcampo
09-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Let me preface this by saying I don't have twins. That being said, I own an MBUD that I love. I'm pregnant right now with #3, so I've stopped using it as our "out & about" stroller. It just folds flatter, but is it still wide. I really had to swing it up to get it in the back of my minivan. Now that my baby belly is getting bigger, I can't do it anymore. So now I just roll it straight out of the garage for neighborhood walks. I've been shopping for a side by side double that folds more compactly & is a little lighter. I've counted out the Rally's since they are really far too short seated and you can't lift the footrest for infants. Its really too bad, because the '05 Rallys have some fun prints and colors. The Mac TT's have more traditional colors. I liked the Mac TT for all the features it offers, especially the foot rests & reclines. I haven't bought one yet, I still want to see a couple of other strollers in action first.

Since your question is what would you pick, I'd say TT. You could always sell it after your kids are bigger & get the MBUD for the longer haul.

Good luck with your twins!!