PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was so well versed in strollers, but I need help!!

Aranel
09-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I took my husband stroller shopping yesterday. I had my Baby Bargains book and detailed notes in hand. Yet,I still found that I was unable to answer some of his challenging questions!

Our baby is due mid December, and we live in a suburb of Metro Detroit.

One thing I have decided on for sure is a Graco Snug Ride car seat. That being said, where do I go from there in terms of strollers?

My friends swear by the Snap 'N Go...ok, so I use that for 5 months...then what? Wouldn't I just be better off getting one stroller that can "do it all" and call it a day? I was thinking specifically about the Combi Ultra Savvy PM (Perfect Match)that can utilize the Snug Ride and become a "regular" stroller later.

Or...what about the Graco MetroLite. I know, I know...I hear terrible things about them...but why do I see them everywhere?

Does anyone have any other suggestions or am I on the right track?

LucyG
09-27-2004, 02:38 PM
I know of very few people who have one stroller to take care of all their needs. I thought that I would get that in a Combi Perfect Match, but I did not. Mine is not the Ultra Savvy, but it was still great for attaching the Snugride, and we still use it 19 months later for neighborhood walks and day trips with lots of bags.

We also have a Maclaren Quest for a lighter stroller. We use it for errands, outings where we don't need to store a lot of things, and also it works well indoors (mall, etc.).

I would focus less on finding the perfect all-in-one stroller and more on finding one (or a Snap'n Go) that will work for you for the first six months or so. After the baby is here and you determine how much you will use a stroller, you may find that you want to get something in addition (a lighter stroller for errands, a more plush stroller, etc.). When I was pregnant, I could not imagine ever needing more than one stroller. Well, I can see now why people have multiple strollers!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

Aranel
09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Lucy (and anyone else who is reading),

Thank you for your advice! I have a few more (possibly stupid) questions for you...

1) Which Combi model do you have?
2) Since Combi is considered a lightweight stroller, why did you also purchace the lightweight Quest? What is the difference between the two?
3) At what age do you stop using the infant car seat in the stroller (ie: Combi PM)? Same time frame as Snap 'N Go?
4) Do you know much about Graco Metro Lite or Inglesina Zippy?

Thanks!

skipperlou
09-27-2004, 05:58 PM
While looking for a new stroller for #2, I purchased both a Combi Ultra Savvy PM and a Zippy to try them both out with the car seat (I have an older Evenflo one). I found the Combi to be too wobbly and unstable as a whole, with or wthout the car seat (which broke my heart since I got it real cheap at BabyAge.com....they still have them for $140).

I went with the Zippy and am much happier with it. It feels more stable and I like that two straps are holding the car seat in, not just one as on the Combi. My DD loves it also. I asked a few other people to give me their opinions on the two strollers and everyone went with the Zippy as the preferred one (even my best friend who has a SBS Combi). I think it's worth the $$$.

JMHO,
Lara

LucyG
09-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Let's see . . .

>
>1) Which Combi model do you have?

We have the 6630. It's blue. Can't remember the technical color. Maybe Techno Blue? It came from BRU in early 2003.

>2) Since Combi is considered a lightweight stroller, why did
>you also purchace the lightweight Quest?

Our Combi is NOT lightweight! I think it weighs either 21 or 23 pounds!! Hauling it in and out of the trunk of our Accord is not an easy task. Don't get me wrong, I really love the stroller. But, it is not one that you just grab and go with. Maybe the Ultra Savvy is lighter. I'm not very familiar with that model.

We got the Quest because we have limited trunk space when we travel, and the Combi takes up most of the trunk. Also, the Combi is overkill for short errands or mall trips. I think the Quest weighs 13 lbs., and there are even lighter strollers out there. We began using an umbrella stroller when DD was about 10 months old, though you can use them a little earlier than that, once baby can sit well and has good head and neck control. The Quest reclines, so we will use it sooner with any future babies.

>3) At what age do you stop using the infant car seat in the
>stroller (ie: Combi PM)?
I think it was around 4 months or so, once DD could be propped in the Combi with it semi-reclined. And, even when she was a newborn, we often just laid her fully reclined in the Combi for walks. The Perfect Match feature is nicest when you need to go into stores, or the mall. We tried to limit her time in the car seat as much as we could. That said, she was in the Snugride for 10 months as a car seat.

>4) Do you know much about Graco Metro Lite or Inglesina
>Zippy? I have a friend with a Metrolite, and she likes it. That's about all I know about it. I do see tons of them everywhere I go. Sorry I don't know more!
>
>Thanks!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
19 months and counting!

lmintzer
09-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Another option (for a "do-it-all" stroller) is the Peg Perego P3. We have one of these and love it. It's a mid-weight, very plush stroller with a pretty small (umbrella-style) fold. It doesn't officially take a Graco carseat, but many on this board have kind of snugged them in there (no pun intended) or even fashioned a bungie cord for extra stability. The P3 is great for infants through toddlers. True, when your child reaches toddlerhood, you may want to purchase a super duper light weight for quick trips, but this only might set you back another $100. Two examples of great super light weights that won't break the bank are the Maclaren Volo and the Silver Cross Micro. But you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

For now, if you really want to take the one stroller fits all approach, I would look at the Inglesina Zippy (great stroller--people love the one handed fold), the Peg Perego P3 (doesn't have a one handed fold but DOES have a nice rear step for an older sib to ride on), or the Combi Perfect Match (if you want to go the more economical route).

HTH some.

new_mommy25
09-28-2004, 03:17 AM
I LOVE my P3. I feel like a broken record, but it really is a wonderful stroller. I did a lot of research, test drives etc. In the end I was between the P3, Combi, and Zippy. My DH made the final decision. What I love about the P3 is that is seemed very sturdy compared to the Combi and the sunshade is very adequate. It was all the stroller we needed for the first year. I didn't like the Zippy because 1) I kicked the wheels, 2)I prefered the ergonomic handles on the P3, and 3) I wanted a snack tray. I have heard that the new Zippys are much improved and I must admit they are a beautiful stroller. But I love the snack tray on the P3. There have been times where we were eating lunch and it served as his high chair. It also fits a sippy cup perfectly and DS likes to munch on goldfish and cheerios while I shop.

We are planning on buying a Mac Volo now that DS is over a year, but that is because I simply cannot contain him in my arms for quick trips to the post office and such, and the P3 is just a bit big to open and close for a 5 minute trip.

We had the Sungride and it fit very nicely into the stroller with the seat reclined all the way. Technically you are not supposed to do that but it felt very sturdy to me. If you want you could secure it with a bungee.

I travel A LOT and the P3 has been very good to me. To close it is a two step process but I would continuosly impress the flight attendants and people in line with the impressive way it just folds up. You gotta love the umbrella fold! Also the sturdiness of the P3 is wonderful because it holds our giant Britax Marathon. DS outgrew his Sungride at 7 months and the first flight with the Marathon I was by myself and terrified. In the end I put Noah into a sling and the car seat on the stroller. I tossed my back pack on top the carseat and pushed. It worked out really well and since then I have travelled several times with the Marathon without a problem.

I can push the P3 one handed while carrying DS and a ton of bags hanging off the handles. The basket is actually quite nice, the trick is in accessing it from the side.

Plus I just love the way my P3 looks. I think it's a very classy stroller. I'm not too fond of the way the Metrolite looks, but there are a lot of people that are happy with them.

Here is a pic of my DS in the Snugride/P3 combo so you can kind of see how it sits in there. Since you have a December baby I highly recomend a Bundle Me. You aren't supposed to use them in the car because it's a safety issue, but I always used it when we were outside. It fits nicely into the car seat and the stroller.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13752.jpg

kijip
09-28-2004, 06:17 AM
>My friends swear by the Snap 'N Go...ok, so I use that for 5
>months...then what? Wouldn't I just be better off getting one
>stroller that can "do it all" and call it a day? I was
>thinking specifically about the Combi Ultra Savvy PM (Perfect
>Match)that can utilize the Snug Ride and become a "regular"
>stroller later.

Problem is that few people find that 1 stroller does it all WELL. And you never know what will work for you and your baby until your baby is here and you ar eusing the stroller.
>
>Or...what about the Graco MetroLite. I know, I know...I hear
>terrible things about them...but why do I see them
>everywhere?

The Graco Metrolite is not a bad pick in my opinion just not as durable as some. I think that I would have been happier with it than my Combi PM 6610
>
>Does anyone have any other suggestions or am I on the right
>track?

As someone who did not get a SNG I have to say I think I would have been better off if I had.

Oh- you don't need the carseat to use a full recline stroller from birth.

HTH!

Katie

Aranel
09-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful advice!!!

One more question...I promise!

I saw a Combi Ultra Savvy PM on babyage.com for $139. I am not one to buy off the Internet, so I'm a little skeptical considering that this stroller retails for $270. What's the catch?

skipperlou
09-28-2004, 11:55 AM
As I mentioned in my previous post, I also purchased the Ultra Savvy PM from babyage at the clearance price. It was a 2004 model, new in box, saw nothing wrong with it. Babyage refunded me all my money when I returned it and kept the Zippy.

FYI...if you have a Upromise account, make sure you go thru that website, since Babyage is a participating merchant and you will get 3% of your purchase price.

Lara

lynettefrancois
09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Probably no catch- I bought mine a year ago for $179. It was wonderful the first 6 months or so, but after that I was itching for something else. The Ultra Savvy is great for newborns since you can stick the Snugride in it, it nearly fully reclines, and the hood is FANTASTIC. That said, it won't even get over the 1/2 inch raised concrete bump at the entrance to Target. You literally have to pick up the front wheels. Also, it will tip if you've got a fully loaded diaper bag on the handle and you take baby out. And now that she's heavier, it's getting really hard to push. I got the stroller over the snap-n-go because for the extra money, I had a whole additional stroller. I figured I would probably end up with two strollers anyway, so for me it worked out fine. If I had to do it over though, I would definitely buy a P3 instead (the snugride fits in it securely, even though the company says it's not compatible- you can try it out in the store and see for yourself). Yes it's more money, but I would still be using it for trips to the mall etc. And you can get them on ebay for less, especially the less popular colors (they are no more boring than the Combi fabric, imho). HTH!