PDA

View Full Version : Valco vs ABC: I made my decision…I think

McQ
10-01-2004, 02:23 PM
All this talk from the co-op got me really jazzed about the ABC Twin. It sounded like the perfect stroller. I was in love, caught the bug and ordered it from the NY store.

My ABC came Wednesday. And it’s a sharp stroller. There are many, many pros to the ABC, but there were some cons. Now, could I live with the cons?

Before ordering the ABC, I had been researching the Valco Double and the MBUD. I had all the facts but hadn’t seen them IRL and hadn’t made the hour plus trek up north to go see them. So yesterday, in my stroller frenzy, DH & I made the trip and I think I’ve made my decision – for the Valco. And here’s why…

ABC – The pros are that it’s a good looking stroller – best of the bunch. The fabric is my favorite out of the 3. Overall it looks the best. I love the seats and the peek a boo windows. It has storage and pockets galore. It steers well and has a good grip. The tires are great. And the sun protection is awesome.

Now the for cons. This stroller is a beast and I mean this sucker is heavy. I know in theory it weighs about the same as the others, but I don’t know, maybe it’s the weight distribution but I have a HARD time lifting it. And it takes up practically all of the room in the back of my Land Rover SUV. And the mechanisms are funky – a lot of screws making it feel real mechanical. For instance with the fold you have to pull a knob out and twist on each side, then fold it down. Or to extend the handle bar you have to unscrew more knobs and then pull. So it’s okay, just not completely user friendly. Then there’s the napper bar. You raise it like you would the safety bar on a ferris wheel – and it doesn’t lock in so a curious little tyke could lift it up and possibly pinch fingers when putting it down.

Valco – The pros are that it steers great and has the best grip. It does not feel any where near as heavy as the ABC. True it has a funky fold, but it’s a fold I can accept. When folded it’s a lot smaller and much easier for me to lift than the ABC. This stroller is plush with all kinds of padding, pockets on the back of the seats and peek a boo windows although the bottom storage pales in comparison to the ABC. And the fabric, nice, but not as nice as the ABC. The tires are great and pop off in a snap. Sun protection is decent.

The only real con I have with the Valco is that huge plastic W shaped footrest on the front. Not only does it make the Valco longer in feel to the ABC, but it’s a lot of ugly plastic staring me in the face. Am I this shallow or what!

The MBUD did not stand a chance against the Valco or ABC. It’s just too bare bones for me with none of the neat features as above. It steered well but the grip was awful. And I didn’t like the tires either. The only thing going for this was the fold and the steering.

So I think I’ve made up my mind and am going to get the Valco. It’s close call though. Looks wise, I’d love to be out and about with the ABC, but I don’t think I can get over how heavy it is and the mechanical feel to it. The Valco has some great features and I think I can deal with plastic foot rest. I guess it’s a good thing the NY store is closed for another week so I have some time to decide.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

houseof3boys
10-01-2004, 04:18 PM
You're awesome. Thanks for writing your thoughts and review down since I have been sweating it since I didn't order from the coop. I don't think we have a store down here in Atlanta that carries the Valco (please post if someone knows we do) for me to see IRL so everyone's input is really important. Did Declan seem to have an opinion one way or another?

I'll send you an email in a week since you will have had more time to "play" with the ABC.

RKMom
10-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Allison,
I'm new to this listserv and can't thank you enough for your message. I am off to "test drive" the Valco Runabout tomorrow, after doing research on double jogging stollers for the past month. You helped confirm some of my thoughts, and reassured me that my decision to buy the Valco, providing things go well tomorrow, is the right one.
It was really nice to hear from someone buying the stroller for the same reasons as I am; not for twins but for two children close in age (my daughter is one month older than your son, and my son is just one week older than your daughter!).
Again,thank you for sharing!
Melissa

tjppnw
10-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Hello-
I am new to this site, but have been looking at it quite a bit over the last 2 weeks. I am in the same position looking at the E3, the Valco single w/ toddler seat and the MB and the ABC. I am in Minneapolis, so most of these strollers are not here IRL. So after looking and weighing in on the options...I decided on the Valco. I ordered it yesterday and should get it next week. I will post my review hopefully in the next week.

For the person looking for an Atlanta showroom, I ordered from www.strollandgo.com which is based in the Atlanta area. Check them out, so far so good!

nan
10-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Just saw the Valco double for $430 + shipping at
http://www.ababy.com/itempage.asp?keyword=Manufacturer&itemno=4204&manufacid=159

I think that's where I'm headed too. Post your feelings once you've been tooling around in it for awhile.

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-01-2004, 06:10 PM
thank you girlie for the review...
quick question if there were three children of stroller age what do you think your deciison would have been. Do you feel like you hung around them long enought to have an opinion on that toddler seat at all???

That would be my main reason for the ABC but I have yet to see any of them...

thanks
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER SENT TO UKRAINE-siblings

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

McQ
10-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Still probably the Valco. Partly due to that stroller having the edge but also due to the position of the toddler seat. But the latter is based on the temperment of who would be my rider. Declan is not a good boy in shopping carts - he is alway wanting to stand up and hug me or extending his arms for me to hold him. I also think that the child on top might miss out on seeing things if he's riding backwards and the others are down below with each other.

The toddler seat was attached to the double so I did briefly see it. And it was as padded as the other seats. I also like that it was positioned in the center of the napper bar so it didn't prevent either of the two back passengers view.

Baby 2 Teen in Manassas carries the Valco, so if you have time next time you're up here you might want to jaunt out there.

And Debbi ~ I didn't have Declan with us but he isn't too picky. He seemed to like the ABC in both the upright and reclined positions. These days though he's crawling into everything - from Meghan's swing, bouncy chair to infant carrier.

Thanks for the link Nan - that's an awesome price. The store I was in yesterday wanted $530 for it. That makes this even sweeter!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

catfeet
10-02-2004, 11:02 AM
While you may not like that big plastic lookin W out front right now, I can tell you that it is a hidden bonus feature for mommies. That ugly W is a good seat for parents to sit & feed a fussy babe when there is no nearby seating. The thing doesn't tip, and it's strong enough to hold adults. I'm approx 140, and can sit on it without it even flinching. My husband, who's approx 230, has sat on it and the tires have squished a little, but it held up like a champ. I've had my Valco double for about a month, that seat was a blessing in going to the state faire with a 2 month old. So, even though it does look ugly, it has some redeeming features.

Ann