PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Triumph or Combi Savy Soho

jraohc
10-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have a preference between the Maclaren Triumph and the Combi Savy Soho. Both seem like good lightweight strollers.

We tested both out this weekend. I though the Maclaren seemed easier to steer and nicer to push. The Combi actually felt cheap and I wouldn't have even considered it if "Baby Bargains" didn't give it a good review.

The Maclaren seemed a little easier to close, although I think with both you just sort of have to get the hang of it.

The Combi seemed to have more cushioning, but looked like it might be a tight fit for a big kid.

The straps on the Combi seemed to be more adjustable for a smaller child.

Neither seemed to have a particularly useful basket (I'm used to the basket on my Kolcraft stroller frame - huge!)

The Maclaren was about $40 more, but that's okay if it's a better stroller.

Right now we're leaning towards the Maclaren Triumph. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with either? Or another suggestion that is similar to these? Thanks!

Momof3Labs
10-04-2004, 11:21 AM
I'd skip the Triumph - it has a very shallow seat that kids outgrow pretty early. Combis are known to be better for smaller kids, as you noticed, but if you have a smaller baby, you may like it better. Personally, I didn't like the "wobble" in the Combi, even though the BB book rated it highly.

Have you looked at the Silver Cross Mini? It is the same price as the Triumph but has a better seat depth.

mollymcmommy
10-04-2004, 11:29 AM
We have a Mac Triumph and have tested out a Combi Savvy Soho at the store. The Soho seems *okay*, but a little rickety for that kind of $. There's something about the frame design that makes it feel like it's going to collapse, but that's JMO. Many people seem to love Combis.

The Triumph, OTOH, feels incredibly sturdy for a lightweight stroller. It does, though, have a rather shallow seat, which supposedly works well for some babies but not for others. Also, Mac seats are angled such that the baby's rear end is lower, and the knees are higher - again, something that suits some babies but not others. My 10 m/o loves his Triumph and seems comfortable sitting in it for longer periods than in our Zippy. The seat design seems to allow him to lean back and yet not be so far back from "the world", if you kwim. The Mac has phenomenal steering, too. Love it.

HTH

Andrea

jraohc
10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Silver Cross Mini? Never heard of it, so haven't looked at it. I'll take a look around - I definitely want to try out whatever stroller we get. Thanks for the recommendation. I definitely was wondering about the Mac Triumph's seat.

jraohc
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info. I plan on trying out the stroller with dd before we buy, but I appreciate knowing what to look for.

mommyb
10-04-2004, 10:35 PM
I tested the Combi Savvy Soho, the Maclaren Triumph and the Inglesina Swift. I ended up buying the Mac. It was the easiest to push and steer and to carry. I liked the Swift, but it did not have a carry strap and did not stay closed well. We bought the stroller for Disney and wanted something that would be easy to get on and off the buses with. I thought the Combi was a piece of junk and difficult to steer with DS in it. You definitely should try both with your DS in them to compare. I really like the Mac, and I think the basket is fine. It fits my Lands End little tripper plus water bottles and sippy cup. The Mac steers very well, and although I love my Pliko, I was not buying another stroller that I could not steer one-handed. I bought the stroller from Traveling Tikes (www.travelingtikes.com) b/c they had the best deal and the color that I wanted (the light blue). I think that the Macs are all on sale there this month. (I always mail order my strollers w/ free shipping to avoid the tax.) I could not wait for the Silver Cross Micro or Mini to come out b/c of our trip, but you should check them out. Marilyn at www.arunningstroller.com (who I have also ordered from) tried to convince me to wait for the Silver Cross. Good luck!

jraohc
10-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks! I'm convinced on Triumph over Soho - now I just need to check out the "new" choice - Silver Cross. Thanks!