PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for Tall mom

Khralvarez
10-05-2004, 06:02 PM
I have a friend who's expecting who's very tall (5-10/5-11)and she's looking for stroller recommendations. She would like something that's car seat-compatible. Recommendations/Reviews from all you experts on the board would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kira

Khralvarez
10-07-2004, 11:35 AM
bump

Momof3Labs
10-07-2004, 01:08 PM
The car seat compatibility is highly overrated since babies stay in car seats for such short periods of time (especially if mom is tall). Colin is tall like his daddy and outgrew his infant car seat by 3 months of age.

She should try strollers on her own since height alone is not a good basis - length of stride can also be an issue. For example, I am 5'4" but have a very long stride, and tend to kick the backs of many strollers that work for other taller moms with shorter strides.

Maclaren strollers have tall handles but tend to have short strides. The Peg Perego P3 has adjustable handles and has a longer stride than the Macs, in my experience. The all-out best strollers for tall people or people with a long stride are Teutonias, but those are generally heavy, fixed wheel strollers (you can find a good deal on these at www.joggingstroller.com and www.babycatalog.com).

If she can't find a stroller than she likes that is car seat compatible, she can get a Snap N Go or Universal Car Seat Carrier to use with the infant seat and choose the stroller that she likes best overall. It seems silly to limit her choices to those that can hold a car seat when that is such a short period of usage in the life of a stroller.

gail_kofi
10-07-2004, 03:20 PM
I am 5'll and recently replaced my 2003 pliko with a mac techno. I find that the taller handles on the Mac is much more comfortable to push and I assumed that the Mac also allowed a longer stride. I constantly kicked the back wheels of my pliko but so far I don't have that problem with the mac...That's been my experience.

pittsburghgirl
10-07-2004, 03:58 PM
You might have her check out Zoopers, the Swing has height adjustable handles. (I have last year's model which did not but my DH who is tall - 6'4" - liked the zooper best of everything we tried including the Macs & Pegs.) I agree, she really needs to try them IRL because of stride.

It also is car seat compatible. DS was only in his car seat for 4 months but it was nice to be able to use them together. Next time around I would get a Snap N Go to use with the car seat but at the time I couldn't get both the SNG and the stroller I wanted for later.

Marilee
mommy to James 8 months!