PDA

View Full Version : Is this a common problem with strollers? Or just my bad luck?

mollymcmommy
10-10-2004, 10:49 AM
A couple of weeks ago our trusty Zippy suddenly started squeaking. It was a mild noise at first, but in no time it got louder and louder. After a couple of annoyingly squeaky rides, I discovered it was because not all the wheels were touching the ground. I was so disappointed; I loved my Zippy so.

Well, Inglesina CS sent me a replacement the other day, and I was pleased. So pretty, so easy, so smooth. But then, after using it all of THREE times, I suddenly heard that awful, familiar "REE REE REE" sound. I could just barely hear it, so I thought I was perhaps imagining things. Half an hour later, the squeaking was so loud I thought I was going to lose my marbles.

So now that I have experienced a problem with wheel alignment just recently, I can't tell if I'm having the same problem again or if I just need to spray a little wd-40. I've looked at the wheels on the new Zippy, and I swear up and down it looks as though the outer wheel on the front right is not touching. That was the same problem wheel on my old Zippy. But the misalignment is not as obvious this time. Most of the time it appears to touch ground, but sometimes it does not. I wonder if it will get worse.

Is this a common problem with strollers? Am I just having bad luck and getting "lemon" strollers? Or am I just becoming paranoid as a result of Post Traumatic Stroller Disorder?

Andrea

mollymcmommy
10-10-2004, 03:36 PM
UPDATE & VENT: I believe I have another lemon...

I spent some time poring over the new Zippy this morning, and I've come to the conclusion that indeed, one wheel is not hitting the ground. I held the stroller in place and tried to rotate the wheels with my hand. While the other seven wheels are planted firmly on the ground, that one front right wheel spins freely. It's missing the ground by as little as an eighth of an inch, but I guess that's enough to make the stroller non-functional.

Now I'm really bummed b/c I'm bringing baby to a work-related golf tourney this Friday, and since I'm not fortunate enough to have such a great collection as some of you, I'm stuck with the following options for his "ride": squeaky non-functional Zippy #1, squeaky non-functional Zippy #2, Mac Triumph (useless on grass and gravel), TRU freebie umbrella stroller (enough said), and a squeaky Graco my MIL bought for her own use that even she hates.

Okay, done venting. :)

I'm still wondering if this wheel issue I keep having is a common one or if it's simply a coincidence that it happened to me twice. Or a manufacturing problem?

Andrea

Smiles81
10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I'm curious what others have to say about this. I have a p3 which has a smooth ride and no squeaking, but on two occasions I have seen squeaky zippy's in my local drugstore.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

jillc
10-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Andrea,

How stressful! Hang in there. I feel your pain...

We have an Inglesina Easy Evo (same as the Zippy, only w/o the 1 hand fold) that's 6 months old, and it started doing the REE REE REE squeak a few months ago. It was driving me nuts & was sooo loud - it was so embarassing walking around the mall w/the annoying squeak.

I told DH that he must "fix that stupid squeaking", and I believe he used WD40 on the wheels, and *presto* - no more squeak! Thank goodness!

Now I'm curious about my wheels though. I'm going to have to check them out to see if they're even & all hitting the ground. At least we got rid of our squeak for now.

Did you try WD40 to see if it helps??

GOOD LUCK.
Jill

mollymcmommy
10-10-2004, 05:17 PM
LOL, Jill! "Embarrassing" is right! Maybe it's just b/c I'm in the minority in my area (Graco-Evenflo-Kolcraftland!) that I actually pay attention to strollers, but I'm really scared that some stranger might actually get annoyed with all the squeaking and say, "What's this horrible "Inglesina" thing you have there? Why not just buy a nice Graco instead?" It was bad enough when I was shopping for our infant carseat at BRU, and the salesclerk asked me what kind of stroller it's going in, and she said, "I've never heard of that brand. You should return it and consider a Graco. It's the best!" Grrr!

Anyways... ::sigh::

Andrea

bubbaray
10-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your stroller woes!!!

I don't have a Zippy, though I seriously considered one before buying my Pliko....

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that I have used 3-in-1 oil on my strollers, not WD-40. Also, I've heard that silicone spray is recommended by Peg Perego customer service -- I've not tried it yet, but it is on DH's "to get me" list. You might also want to try some bike lub oil, something like Phil's. We use WD-40 more for cleaning things, not lubing them. If your stroller wheels are really dirty, you could clean them with WD-40, but you should still lube them -- just like you would a bike.

HTH

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

kcampo
10-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Don't use WD-40 for your wheels! It will collect dirt causing a host of other problems. Use silicone spray. I ran into a bottle at my local Hancock's fabric store, but I've heard you can get it in the Walmart auto section, probably cheaper. Anyway, I don't own a zippy, but have used the spray sucessfully on my Peg Perego & Maclaren strollers. Good luck with your zippy.

mollymcmommy
10-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the info on the different lubes! I did not use WD-40 after all since I figured the stroller problem didn't have anything to do with lubing. I did buy some silicone spray from the auto department as you all suggested; I'm sure I'll need it someday.

Anyway, Inglesina CS is sending me another replacement to replace my replacement -- so problem solved. Apparently this is not something that was supposed to happen, to answer my own question.

I'm anxiously waiting for the shipment. As much as I loved my old one (2003 "Sugar" fabric), I was very much enjoying the new color (2004 RA4/sky blue), and the extra padding on the seat was so plush. If anyone was interested in this color but wasn't sure -- let me tell you, it really is stunning! And their CS was excellent, once again.

Thanks, everyone! I'm a happy girl once again.

:) Andrea