PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Combi's Savona and Ultra Savvy?

msjd123
10-10-2004, 04:00 PM
I've been looking at Combi's Perfect Match strollers because they allow you to attach a Graco, Evenflo, or Century carseat, and we have a Graco Snugride already. After much research, though, I just can't see any *major* differences between the Savona PM ($160) and the Ultra Savvy PM ($260), at least nothing that's worth $100!

First, here are links to comprehesnice descriptions of both: http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/strollers/standard/4695
http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/strollers/standard/4696

As far as I can tell, here are the differences:
1. The Savona has height-adjustable handles, which is a plus.
2. The Ultra Savvy has a larger canopy.
3. The Ultra Savvy boasts "leg extensions [that] increase length of seat for younger baby's comfort and security." I'm not even all that sure what this means, but that's it! Those are the only differences!

Does anyone have any experience with either of these strollers? Any idea why there might be such a big difference in price? Do you think the Ultra Savvy might just be a better-built stroller?

Thanks!!

Sarah

jstevens
10-10-2004, 11:17 PM
I have the Savona PM and it's a nice lightweight stroller. We have two major issues with it. When my husband pushes it (5'11") he occasionally hits the back wheels with his feet, as do I sometimes (5'3"). Also, my son is now 16 months & over 20lbs and like to sit upright. When he does the entire fabric moves up with him. Very flimsy. Also, Combi's have a different feel than most other strollers. They kind of rock back & forth and feel a little bit more flimsy. It takes time to get used to. So, I highly suggest trying both strollers out in person. Overall, a good stroller.

jstevens
10-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Forgot to mention from above. Check out epinions and see what people have to say about both strollers.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Combi_Savona_PM/display_~reviews

chicagojo
10-11-2004, 05:41 PM
I have the Ultra Savvy PM, but I don't have any experience with the Savona so I can't compare. The Ultra Savvy does have full recline, which is nice b/c I was able to use it with or w/o the carseat from the very beginning and DD will still nap in it when fully reclined. I don't know if the Savona does or not but that might be something worth checking on before you decide. Also, if you decide on the US, you may want to act fast because Combi has stopped making the Ultra Savvy PM and it may get hard to find...

Buzymommy5
10-11-2004, 06:33 PM
hi sara...i had the ultra savvy and returned it for the savona. i am really happy with my savona because of its easy fold and lightness... the recline was great and i was able to use with my baby at 2 months...

the savona has almost the same features, if not more than the ultra.(ie, height adhjustable, cupholder, bigger basket) although the ultra savvy does have a larger canopy, i found it cumbersome when it came time to fold the stroller. all the fabric from canopy made it more difficult to completely close.

don't think there's much of a price differences now between the two, but at the time of my purchase, there wasn't any justification to warrant the huge $150 price gap. to be honest, i just wanted the black licorice fabric. overall, they have the same quality.

have you tried looking at other car seat compatible strollers? i didn't discover the plethora of strollers until after i had already purchased my combi and done more research on this message board. practically every stroller brand offers car seat compatibility. if i had known then what i know now, i would have done everything differently :)

chris

msjd123
10-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks, ladies! I didn't know that the Ultra Savvy PM was being fazed out, but I did notice that a couple of sites no longer carry it, so that explains why.

Chris, you said you would have done things differently if you had realized that so many other stroller have car seat compatibility. Is there another stroller you've come across that you like better? If so, which one?

Thanks!

Sarah

Buzymommy5
10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
i'm using my zooper swing with my car seat at this moment. this was suppose to just be my outdoor stroller for sports and stuff but ended up using as my main stroller w/car seat. didn't realize how convenient it would be to transfer a sleeping baby from car seat to stroller and how much i would enjoy looking at my baby when i push him and so now, my big thing is reversible handles or seats after he outgrows his carrier :)

so, if i had to do it all over again, i probably would have first purchased a bebe confort. the bebe's aren't sold in the usa but you could check them out at their website:www.bebeconfort.com and you could buy one in europe.

the zooper zydeco also offers a reversible feature and is car seat compatible. my friend has this one and it's quite big. their website is www.zooper.com. they've got awesome customer service.

if reversibility wasn't a big deal for me, my other choice would be a zippy as my main stroller with the car seat. wouldn't consider a zippy before but after having seen one irl i like the nice easy fold, they aren't plasticky as my peg pliko3, and they're compatible with most car seats. their website is www.inglesina.com. they're suppose to come out with a new 8 lb chassis that will accomodate a bassinette and toddler seat but haven't figured out whether it's reversible in pram mode only...

i would still keep my combi as my second stroller for quick errands or travel because it serves great for that purpose. imo, combi's are pretty good strollers. some have given them mixed reviews, but i haven't had a problem yet. the maclarens would also serve as a great second stroller. they've got great reviews and strollerqueen has great pics on her website of the 2005 models.

for all terrain and heavy duty use the mbus strollers appeals to me. their website is www.mountainbuggy.com. they are car seat compatible and can hold up to 100 pounds. you could definitely get long use with this one!

another stroller that seems to be popular is the bugaboo frog. if it weren't for the short canopy, i would have bought this in a second. it does steer VERY nicely and it comes with the carrycot, car seat compatible, & reversible.

chris

msjd123
10-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks so much!!

You know, it's funny, but after I read some more of the posts here, I decided to go back to the big baby stor ein town here and see what else was available. Guess which one I fell in love with? The Zooper Swing! I hadn't even noticed it before, but it's awesome! It feels much sturdier than the Combis, and all those extra features rock. Forget Combi, I think I'm going with a Zooper!

Sarah

P.S. I did try out the Bugaboo just for kicks, and I agree that it's wonderful, but it's waaaay out of our price range!

Buzymommy5
10-11-2004, 11:04 PM
haha! that's funny, because i didn't notice it either when i went into the baby store. it wasn't until i returned my ultra savvy that the owner recommended i try the zooper:) after i looked at it, i thought the same thing! afterwards, i was thinking how much of a ripoff the ultra savvy was. isn't this message board great?!

chris