PDA

View Full Version : MBUD - front wheels?

feb172005
10-11-2004, 04:23 PM
I am expecting twins in February and was looking at the MBUD as one of my strollers. The person at Buy Buy Baby (who also happened to have twins) said that a common complaint he received (and agreed with) was that the MBUD was too heavy and that the front wheels often swiveled and hit each other. Has anyone experienced this problem? He recommended the 10K Ultimate Double or the Double Safari II from InStep as better alternatives.

Any thoughts?

kcampo
10-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I have an MBUD for 2 siblings 20 months apart. I haven't had this problem & I've had it since March. It is heavy & can be hard to get in & out of a car, but I haven't found another double that manuevers as well. My problems with weight & getting in & out of the car are due to pregnancy. I managed pretty well while not pregnant. Valco of Australia makes a Twin stroller that compares favorably to the MBUD. Right now you're having twins so chances are you're not thinking of another pregancy anytime soon or ever, but if it does happen, the Valco has a toddler seat that clips to the middle so you can transport 3 children. Something to think about. I'm considering giving up my MBUD for this very reason. People say the Valco is "cushier" and more padded than the bare bones MBUD. Here is a link to check it out:

http://stores.kiwi-kid.com/Search.bok?category=Double+Strollers

strollerqueen
10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
I like it. You can also get the "Strollerqueen Discount" on it at:

www.baby-outfitters.com

hardysmom
10-11-2004, 06:47 PM
My theory is that large, box store retailers have more of a mark-up on low-end, Americn brands than high-end strollers so they push them harder. I don't know what the deal is.

I use a MBUD for my twins and have since birth. It is a FANTASTIC twin stroller. Yes, it is a little heavy, but so are all full-featured doubles. I also looked at the Maclaren Twin Traveller, but at 26 lbs. it isn't that much easier to haul around. The others he recommended are nice enough for neighborhood walking, but I think they are probably too wide for much indoor use (you don't want anything over 30" wide).

Yes, the MB front wheels occasionally tangle, but it isn't enough to stop you or even register much of an inconvenience. It might happen when, say, you have been stopped for a bit and and were rocking the stroller front-and-back to soothe the babies. Then, you step into a sharp turn. To correct it, you would just pull the stroller back a couple inches and keep going. I've used the stroller A LOT for 6 months and I know this has happened, but it isn't a frequent thing.

The only bad thing about the MB with twins is that it is hard to get into the baskets with both seats reclined.

I use Bowron fleece inserts which make the seats more than cushie.

While pregnant (I was already a stroller-nut from my DS) I bought 3 strollers-- a Snap N Go Double (get one!!), the MBUD, and an older Peg MicroTwin as a "lightweight." The MB is so wonderful, that even though it is heavy, I have never used the MicroTwin.

And we're not just talking about a little use-- once a week I have to take one of my daughters 5 hours away for an appointment, we all ( the 3 kids an I!) stay in a hotel, then drive back the next day. The MB has been the saving grace on those trips since it can go anywhere (indoor, outdoor, loaded up, etc) and is so easy to use, is unbelievable easy to push, and dependable.

I've never seen the Valco IRL, but it looks nice. My older son is big and never really liked toddler seats so I wasn't too interested in that option. PLus, I need something which can do some major off-roading as my in-laws ranch and we spend a lot of time outside.

Take care
Stephanie
Hardy 11/17/01
Blythe and Charlotte 3/24/04

hipmaman
10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
I have been the one that complained loud and clear about the swivel wheels on the MBDU.

The hitting/locking of the wheels with one another doesn't happen as often as the wheels locked when in swivel mode. But Strollerqueen had said that MB had fixed this in the 2005.

But truthfully, the MBDU still is one of the best (if not the best) in its class. With the improvements in its 2005 model, I would suspect, it's even sweeter to ride and push.

kcampo
10-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Stephanie,
Do you still have your micro twin? Would you be willing to sell it? I've been wanting one for a while. Please let me know. Thanks!! :)
([email protected])

strollerqueen
10-12-2004, 04:13 AM
As usual, I agree! I do like all the changes on the 2005's, but the "feature bloat" has also caused a weight bloat, like an added 3 pounds!

Weight is important to me, so I'll stick with the one I have. If I was taller, though, I might want the new extended handle. Or if I had a newborn, I might like the napper bar, greater padding, and basket accessiblity when the seat is fully reclined.

As you know, though, I had the Terrain when DS was a newborn, so the wire basket was always easy to get to. I always wished there was a canopy pocket, but the MB designer showed me how it wasn't really feasible, when the seat is in full recline. Thats why he opted to put the pockets on the basket of the 2005. He also said it was a stability issue.

Oh, my wheels don't lock up anymore. I think I finally figured out the right position for the swivel knob. The 2005 definitely solves that problem, too.

annasmom
10-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Strollerqueen,

Will a child in the 2005 MBUD's most upright seat position be able to use the new napper bar? I thought the most upright position was still a bit reclined?? What do you think??? I do not need a double until early next year and am torn between trying to get a good deal on a 2004, or getting a 2005. TIA, Eileen