PDA

View Full Version : BEST STROLLER FOR JOGGING!

dragop21
10-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Please someone tell me! My friend has a 2 month old and needs to start training for the Boston Marathon... the one she currently has does not lay down. We live in a relatively hilly area and there are definitely some bumps. She is considering the ZOOPER...is that a good choice? she would like it to collapse it as well so maybe she only has to purchase one?? budget is also an issue..
thanks for all the help!

toomanystrollers
10-13-2004, 07:28 AM
An infant should not be in a jogger that's actually used for jogging - too much jarring action on their developing necks and backs. She needs to wait until her baby is closer to 10 months for serious training.

ETA: http://www.howtobefit.com/jogstroller.htm

MamaParis
10-13-2004, 12:55 PM
First, the Zooper will be a bad choice for a 'serious runner. The 12" wheels are just too small! She needs to look into joggers with AT LEAST 16" tires .. but 20" would be even better. I used to have a Kelty Joyrider and it was awesome - folded up umbrella style, so it was smaller than other joggers when folded ... but still pretty big. When Baby #2 gets to be a bigger I'm either getting the BOB Duallie or the Dreamer Design Ditto RPS. Those two are the best ones that I have tried out.

AND you will notice that once you get into the 'real' jogging strollers they have like a recommended minimum age of 6 months or around that ... and even that is a stretch, IMO.

Your friend needs to realize that jogging with her baby right now isn't that great of an idea and *could* have negative effects on the baby.
Jogging with your baby at such a young age can give them 'Shaken baby Syndrome'. No matter how smooth the surface you run on is, chances are that baby will still get jostled and shaken all around. They sell infant inserts to help alleviate some of that, but it only helps to a certain extent. I started jogging with my first baby after she turned 7 months old, and I had the infant inserts and only ran on the paved running path in our neighborhood and she still got jostled around - I can only imagine how she'd react without any decent head and body control at 2 months old. Also, the smaller the wheels on the jogger, the more jostled your kid will be - hence why running with the Zoopers wouldn't be such a great idea,

If I were you I'd recommend to your friend that she doesn't run with her baby just yet and if she needs to train, then she should do it when she has someone to watch the baby. I am a runner, myself, and since I sold my single jogger already, I just run alone in the afternoons when my husband is home. In the spring, I'll start bringing both kids!

Paris

casey118
10-13-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm not a "real" runner, so can't comment really on problems of running with baby. The poster before me had some great information. Here is what I know about running with a jodding stroller (once age appropriate for baby). I started jogging at about 3 months on paved surfaces and thought it was ok for my baby.
Serious runners generally prefer 20" wheels, although 16" may be acceptable. I think it is more smooth and easier to run with the larger wheel though.
She wants a stroller that reclines, and there aren't many: the Bob, Dreamer and maybe one or two others. A baby will slouch too much in the seat that doesn't recline especially because they are like bucket seats which cause slouching anyway.
She needs an infant insert like a snuzzler.
She could call and talk to or email someone at www.joggingstroller.com The have excellent customer service and could help her go through all of her options. They recommend using an infant insert until at least 8 months.

Sarah1
10-13-2004, 03:46 PM
She should consider a Baby Jogger II. Those are awesome...you can traverse just about any terrain w/one of those. The child needs to be 6 months old, though. Like Pam said it's not safe otherwise.

dragop21
10-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all your help and concern. its been much appreciated....I guess I am the new babysitter for the next while!
Candice