PDA

View Full Version : Valco review, single and toddler seat

tjppnw
10-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Well, after purusing these boards in search of the perfect stroller, I think I have found it for us!!!! THanks for all your help...here is my review.

After having the Valco for just over a week, I can safely say I am extremely happy with my purchase. It is hard to pick a stroller with hardly any reviews and sight unseen, but the entire transaction and purchase has been totally worth it.

First off, let me say I have a 33month old who weighs 38lbs and a 4month old who weighs 18lbs and both are tall. I looked at traditional twins and tandems, then got interested in the Phil & Teds and the Jane Powertwin (my husband checked it out when he was in London.) The downsides to both of those is the weight limitation, 60lbs for the E3 and 30lbs per seat for the Jane. Then I called and talked with Laura at Stroll&Go about the Valco. (My past 2 strollers are the Peg Perego Pliko (which I was very happy with) and the Kelty Joyrider jogger, also very happy with.)

For us it's pretty much the perfect stroller...my older son likes to ride when we go for long walks and 50% of the time in the mall, but he does not nap anymore in the stroller. So the toddler seat add on is perfect. My 4mo. old is comfortable in all the positions and the older one likes the toddler seat...seems like this age and size issue is common for lots of families with 2 kids, so I though I would share my findings.

So, the PROS are
-unbelievably easy to steer, even with a 38lber in the toddler seat.
-great handlebar height for tall people (i am 5'9 and my husband is 6'1)
-easy fold (it may have 2 steps to it, but it is so simple)
-i think just about as much of an all around stroller that exists, I have taken it for long city walks, on grass through a park, in the mall, in stores, in restaurants
-basket is still accessible with toddler seat, nice size too.
-great construction
-very sharp looking
-stable with 1 or both of the kids, don't have to worry about taking one out before the other
-solid brake
-locking front wheel
-easy pop off back wheels
-so smooth for walking (both my husband and friends have commented on it)
-truly flexible, as my older son walks less and less, this returns to a single stroller, don't need 4 types of strollers.
-air filled tires for smooth ride
-less $$ than the Mountain Buggy but better padding for the little one
-easy to fold down the toddler seat when not in use, but still on the stroller, very flexible
-when I had questions before purchasing, i talked with stroll&go and valco direct and all were very helpful and prompt

CONS, not many and not too big of a deal
-a little heavier that the Mountain Buggy, not a big deal though
-I make sure that I lift my older son in and out of the toddler seat, i don't think it would tip, but i also don't want to test it.
-I am trying to figure out if there is a latch to keep closed when folded (joseph or laura can you answer)
-buckles are pretty tight, good for kids not being able to undo, but my husband pinched his finger and i could see it happening to me.
-making sure you support the little one when lowering the seat recline, because of zipper mechanisms
-sun shade is only ok
-i know for some people, not being able to put a car seat in it might be a con, but for us it's fine, the little guy is completely comfortable in the main seat

I can't say too much else, except how great it is...I am actually going to sell my other strollers ,as I think this pretty much handles most of our needs! I feel it is a very fair price for a great stroller. I look forward to seeing how the accessories develop for the Valcos...

My husband teased me when I told him that I wanted this stroller, but after he used it too, he was so impressed. I have had people stopping me and asking me about it. I feel I could walk, go to the mall, light jogging, just about anything. I love it, thanks Laura for the recommendation! I will also post some pics with the boys in it, so people can see it in real life.

Thanks again
Jennifer and Tim
sam 1/11/02
aj 6/7/04

houseof3boys
10-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the great review! This is high on my list right now but I'm still unsure of the toddler seat versus the double.

Can't wait to see pics with the kiddies in it. It is such a beautiful stroller. :)

MorganMom
10-14-2004, 07:14 PM
I've had my single + toddler seat for a month now and it's become my fave stroller. Still expecting #2, but DS#1 loves riding in the toddler seat so much that I've stopped using my P3!

As for the toggle to lock the stroller shut: stand behind the stroller- on the left side of the canopy there should be a short black strap with two metal buckles on it. You may have to dig around in the canopy fabric a bit as it might slide behind the seat. The buckles are silver...they look like the buckles on the straps for a pair of overalls.

When you locate the strap, fold up your stroller and the locate a small peg on the left side of the stroller frame- right near the left wheel. Push down on the handle and loop one of the silver buckles on the strap over the peg. Voila- your stroller should be locked! :) It's much easier to pick up that way!

HTH and if the above was way too confusing, let me know and I'll try to post pics.

yaelt16
10-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I have been debating between the Valco and the Mountain Buggy- my son is 2 months old an hates his car seat/ snap n go - hates being confined. I thought having a jogger for walks etc would be better. I borrowed the Mountain Buggy from a friend to check it out- it is a no frills jogger- but I liked that it was light to push- as opposed to the Valco which is heavier and wider and I find a little bulkier ( Mountain Buggy is narrower and little more stream-lined). I was planning on getting the Valco but these two issues keep holding me back!
(Also, I am planning on having another child so the toddler seat on the Valco sounds like a practical idea.)
Do you feel that the Valco is too bulky or heavy to push- help!! I need to make a decision already. Also what color did you get?
Thanks,
Yael, Jonah's mom

tjppnw
10-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Interestingly enough, I don't feel the heaviness when I am pushing it around at all, if anything it seems lighter-it's very smooth moving (and that's with the heavy weight in the toddler seat which is over the front area!!!). And surprisingly it folds smaller than the MB!

Yes, it is a little wider but, that didn't seem to matter at the mall or the stores I went to, I really had no problems, that wouldn't be tight fits for almost any stroller. (I even pushed it around in the house the first day and i could get it through door openings!)

I got the red, love it. It's so sharp...my son says it's the cool stroller!

hope it helps a little

MorganMom
10-15-2004, 12:38 AM
ITA w/the PP...I've used my Valco in the mall and outdoors and it works wonderfully either way. Last week we took it to the mall- it's actually easier to steer than my P3 thru racks and stuff. I can steer my Valco one-handed w/no problems, even w/DS in the toddler seat and a bunch of bags in the main seat. It fits thru regular doorways just fine.

It's also light to push outdoors- we took it to the beach this last weekend and it did surprisingly well on the sand. On grass or bumpy pavement, I can still push w/one hand if I have to.

I've seen the MBUS and I think the Valco is plusher- thus the heavier weight. However the Valco does fold up smaller, even w/the toddler seat attached. And I have no problems lifting my Valco into the back of my car despite being 7.5mos PG.

yaelt16
10-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks- that was helpful. I am going to get the Valco in red!!

yaelt16
10-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Great! The valco is it then.

shyviolet
10-15-2004, 01:16 AM
Thanks for such a detailed, thoughtful review! This is the only stroller that my DH loved out of all the ones we considered, because it's so sporty and sharp-looking. After hearing all the great reviews about it being an all-purpose stroller, even good at the mall, I'm thinking about not even getting the Zippy, since it's really not that much lighter and the Valco folds easily enough for my needs. Maybe I'll just hold out and get a SC Micro or Mini in a year or so for a truly quick/easy lightweight. Thanks again for the review!