PDA

View Full Version : Help me finalize my double stroller choice....

jerseygirl07067
01-27-2005, 08:23 AM
I know there have been several questions as of late regarding double lightweight strollers that can/cannot be used with a carseat. I am definitely looking for something side by side and have narrowed it down to a few choices. Unfortunately, I can't see most of these in person. I think I may have decided to say heck with the carseat option, since DD outgrew hers in 5 months or so, so now at least I have more choices.

I am looking for the most COMPACT, LIGHTWEIGHT, and EASIEST fold and here are the ones I am considering. If there are any other lightweights that you know of please feel free to add!

Aria Twin - though I have a P3, I wasn't crazy about the fold on this one, but it's a possiblity. It seems to take up lots of space in the trunk too and because it doesn't fold compactly, it seems heavier to me. I kept scraping my wrists and legs against it when folding too..

Combi Twin Saavy - can't see one in person, I have heard issues of bad durability for the price you pay, so your experiences with this would be appreciated!! My friend has one and loves hers, but it's 6 years old and I thought that since they're now made in China the quality wasn't as good. Hers is also only 15 pounds but now they're now 21 since the redesign.

MBUD - luckily I can take a trip to see one in person at Marilyn's running stroller shop since I live in Florida and have friends near her. She told me this is the only SBS to her knowledge that will "officially" take a carseat. But it's very pricey to me and I think the weight is heavier than what I want.

Maclaren Rally Twin or Twin Traveller - these are heavier than the Combi or the Peg but I actually saw a cheapie knockoff at BRU with the identical fold, and though it was heavier, it folded so compactly it didn't seem as heavy. I can see a twin traveller at Marilyn's too, but haven't seen either yet in person.

Any thoughts on the Chicco, Inglesina, or any other brands' lightweight SBS doubles? I wasn't sure if they were ok for use with a newborn. I guess I'm getting lazy with my research which is why I posted :)

I need to keep the price down as much as possible so any thoughts are appreciated. I want to take the longest maternity leave my boss will allow. Right now we're at 6 months!!

Also, I live in FL so anything with a good canopy is helpful. I also love the built in snack tray and cup holder on my P3 but I guess I may have to give those up or get an add on.....which to me is a pain, one more thing you have to do when getting the babies out of the car.......

Thanks in advance!!
Marcy

MamaKath
01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
The only ones I'd consider light are the Aria Twin and the Combi Twin. I prefer the Combi immensely over the Aria; it is more compact, more plush, suitable for newborns, great sunshade (nearly down to the napper bar!), and an overall great model. I would classify both of these as inddor strollers, if you do lots of outdoor stuff, a double jogger might work well to supplement this (Right Start has their privately labeled BabyTrend one on sale for $100) that wouldn't be hauled in and out of the car (or only on a once in awhile basis).

The MBUD is a beast weight-wise, though a very popular all terrain (if you would buy it, I'd go with Marilyn, Traveling Tikes or Baby Outfitters as they will stand up for you if you need it with MB cs). There are other all-terrains like the Valcos and the ABCs that are worth looking at if you really are considering this model. I would not call any of them compact or lightweight though!

The Maclarens are heavy and lots of folks find them hard to push with the widespread handles. Their cs has made some improvement, and many of the new models look very promising. I would be a bit leary of the widespread handles if you are on the shorter side. I am taller than some and tend to feel like a bird flying when pushing one. ;-)

The knock-off at BRU was most likely the Kolcraft and it IS considerably lighter and since it is not as plush folds very compactly! I owned this and it is a great compliment to something more all-terrain if you are on a budget. Not overly deluxe, but quite adequate.

HTH~

jerseygirl07067
01-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your input! And yes, the knock off at BRU was the Kolcraft. Funny thing you said about the Maclarens...I am tall too and could see myself feeling that way when pushing one!

Marcy

hardysmom
01-28-2005, 05:04 PM
I agree with everything Kath wrote--

Yesterday, I bought a Aria Twin as a lightweight back-up for my MBUD. If your top criteria is lightweight/compact fold then the Aria and Combi are the only two real choices.

I have 10 mo old twins.

I chose the Aria over the Combi because I found the fold to be less complicated and since it will only be used for quicker indoor stuff, the canopy/plushness wasn't an issue. Space isn't much of an issue for me. I also have a MBUD which I love and will continue to use for longer outings, zoo, etc...

Your life and needs will dictate which one is better for you. The Combi and Aria are fine in a parking lot, but I'd say that is the limit of their outdoor usefulness. I wouldn't want to go for a walk of any length in one.

The Twin Traveller is bettter outside. While not all-terrain, it is fine on not-so-great sidewalks. The narrow width is very nice.

I LOVE my MBUD but I wouldn't call it, lightweight/compact and while easy to fold, it is awkward to lift in/out of a car. Still, it has been my only stroller for 10 months. It is narrow enough for inside, but super maneuverable. I like that it can go anywhere.

Stephanie