PDA

View Full Version : sc mini vs mac quest -- help me choose!

lisahloo
01-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi - I need a lightweight stroller for a 3 mo old who has outgrown his infant seat (and the carseat carrier I had to go with it). I'll be using it mainly as an errand running (ie, in and out of the car) stroller, not for long walks or anything (have a zooper boogie for that).

I've been looking into the mac quest, and while it mainly gets rave reviews, I've seen some serious negatives as well. The SC mini looks like it would fit the bill as well, and I like the looks of it better (however, have yet to see it in person). Anyone with experience with the mini? Any other suggestions? TIA!

Momof3Labs
01-27-2005, 02:37 PM
IMO, 3 months is too young for either of those strollers, even just for errands. I prefer something like a P3 or Zippy which reclines fully and is more padded. Colin wasn't comfy in a Maclaren-type stroller until he was about 18 months old (and we tried at about 3 months but he HATED it), but he was happy as a clam in our Pliko at that age.

Have you tried your baby in an umbrella type stroller yet?

bubbaray
01-27-2005, 03:16 PM
I agree -- 3m is too young for either of those strollers. IMHO, you still need a full or close to full recline at that age (until the baby is sitting up unsupported).

I would recommend a P3, a Mac Techno or a Zippy. They are all medium-weight strollers, but with full reclines suitable for a baby your son's age. You'll get lots of use out of any of the three.

My DD is nearly 10m. I just got a lightweight Swift for errands, but I wouldn't use it with a child that couldn't sit up yet. DD was out of her infant seat at 4.5m.

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

mirage429
01-27-2005, 11:11 PM
I had a mini but my son was about 11 months old when we got it. It has no leg rest so a three month old's legs would not be comfortable. It is also not a plush stroller. I think it's good for older babies. I loved the mini but would not recommend it for an infant that small. What about a techno? I have a quest but I never tried a techno. WOuld that be more suitable for an infant? Is is more plush than a quest? It's still a lightweight umbrella type stroller. I also agree about the P3. I have used it since my son was a newborn and I still love it!!

Jen

twofallbabies
01-28-2005, 02:13 PM
HI Lisa,
I'm with the others; I think 3months is a bit young for a stroller as unpadded as the Micro and Quest are. All the ones the girls above named would probably work better for your DS, as they have a deeper recline and plusher seating.

Shameless plug here, but I have a P3 I'm selling if you'd be interested.

Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif
27+ months

JJ2
01-29-2005, 02:36 PM
I too was torn between the SC Mini and the Mac Quest. We have the Zooper Zydeco for around our neighbourhood and longer trips to the zoo etc.

My friend was coming over from London, England and raved about her Mac Quest - I did some serious searching and reading on these boards and others and most people were very pleased with the Mac Quest. She also has no car so walks absolutely everywhere in London plus uses public transit with it and raves about how great it is. I believe she has been using it with her son since he was about 3 months or so. I asked her to purchase me one since it was way cheaper than getting it here in Canada. I love it!! It reclines farther back than the sc mini and also has a leg rest that extends out for little legs. My daughter is 6 months old, sits up and she just loves it. As a gift my friend brought me a stroller cosy (Buggy Snuggle) so that adds an extra bit of plushness for the wintertime.
She sleeps in the Mac Quest no problem at all - when i recline it even though it isn't a 180 degree recline it is comfy enough for her to sleep in while we shop.
Good luck with your decision
JJ

Mom to Emma 6yrs
and Eliza 6 months

MarisaSF
01-29-2005, 03:30 PM
How 'bout a Mac Techno? It doesn't weigh much more than a Quest.
Or, if you can wait, just use the Boogie until you feel your DC is ready for a Quest (my DD seemed comfy in a Quest at 5 months)? I know the Boogie isn't ideal for quick errands -- but it's only a couple more months -- might be worth the $100 savings over a Techno. :)

HoneymoonBaby
01-29-2005, 11:28 PM
On sheer specs, I'd vote Quest, but PUT YOUR BABY IN IT FIRST. See if he likes it. I bought a SC Mini because my son was happy in it (at 4 months old) and he cried and squirmed in the Macs. The Mini doesn't have as many features, but the seat back is smooth and supportive, whereas baby can feel the frame and recline mechanism through the flimsy seats on the Macs. So if baby is bothered by that, he will hate the Mac.

The Mac does recline further and have a legrest, though.

The Mini has better tires and is a little bit less tippy when things are hung from the handles.

Hope this helps.

mec
01-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I recently had trouble deciding between these two strollers. I wanted a stroller with tall handles & one-handed steering. I bought the Mini, but ended up returning it. I liked how easily it folded & I loved how compact it was when folded (it took up so little space in my trunk). I didn't like the handle height. It was too low for me, so I had to hunch a little & would kick the wheels. I also wasn't pleased with the one-handed steering (it didn't compare to the Macs). Also, my DD didn't like how reclined the seat back was, even when it wasn't reclined (completely upright). I exchanged it for the Techno rather than the Quest b/c of handle height (I don't kick the wheels). It's very comfortable for me to push, the steering is great & I can easily make turns one-handed. My DD sits more upright & has been very comfortable in it, but she's 2. I can't speak for an infants comfort in it. It's not as compact when folded as the Mini was. I have to take the diaper bag off the handles prior to taking her out of the stroller or else it will tip. I recently traveled with this stroller & it was a great travel stroller. I've tried a few strollers & this has been the best for me. Your needs may be different than mine, but I hope this helps.

Mary
DD 10/02

mec
01-30-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't know if this is impt. to you, but I forgot to mention that the Mini's basket is almost useless. There is a crossbar in the back of the stroller which makes it very difficult to get things in & out of the basket. The basket on the Techno isn't bad, considering it's a Mac. I can fit both DD & my winter coats in the Techno's basket.

Mary
DD 10/02