PDA

View Full Version : Mac Volo, SC Micro or Quinny Zapp for daily city use w/18 month old?

mamabelle
02-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Want something really light and nice to push as we walk a lot. Don't need a recline and money is not an issue. Anyone have experience with these and how are they?

Thanks!

LizBeth
02-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm giving this a bump up because I'm interested in these three strollers as well, especially the Zapp. Anyone??

sbaker
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Which is more important the weight of the stroller or ease of pushing?

If you want something really light than either Volo or Micro are better choices. If you want the easiest stroller to push than the Zapp is the better choice.

I've had a Volo and currently have a Micro and a Zapp. If you'd like pics of my Micro next to my Zapp just email me.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

HGraceMom
02-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I chose the Micro over the '05 volo for the larger wheels, guessing it'd be important for bumpier rides - So far I love it - I didn't look at the zapp, so can't add it to the mix - Good luck - Renee

mamabelle
02-02-2005, 06:21 PM
I would love the picture. DO you love the SC? I am kind of leaning that way because it seems crazy to spend so much money on the Zapp. I actually have a Maclaren Triumph and love it but it is showing it's wear, but really want something as light as possible. I am am constantly lifting it and have to carry it on the bus several times a week. Does the SC handle as well as the Volo? Can it take the curbs and bumps as well? You must be the only person that has all 3!

One more question? Is the Zap a 1 hand fold?

Thanks so much!

mamabelle
02-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Do you find that the Micro tips easily if things are on the handlebars? How does it handle curbs and bumps in the sidewalk?

The SC is nicer looking too.

Thanks!

Jesse320
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM
My sister has the Micro and loves it. I have a Mini and love it! I put stuff on the handlebars and haven't had any tipping with the Mini. I've seen my sis do that with her Micro and I don't know any problems there either. good luck!

egoldber
02-02-2005, 08:01 PM
I have a 2001 Mac Mistral and a 2004 SC Micro. In my experience, the Micro is just as tippy as my Mac. I considered the Volo vs the Micro, and I really regret not getting the Volo. The Micro does not push as well as or as easily as my older Mac. I have also had a problem with one of the front wheels not touching the ground with the Micro (it just spins around). There is another poster on this board who has had the same problem with TWO different Micros.

HTH,

sbaker
02-03-2005, 12:21 AM
I like the SC. The wheels on it are larger than the Volo's, so I think it handles bumps a little bit better. I do think that the Volo's steering is better and the seat seemed larger to me. Neither the Micro or Volo do very well outside IMO unless they're on smooth pavement or flooring.

The Zapp is not a one hand fold.

Micro next to Zapp
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20997.jpg

Folded Zapp and Micro
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20998.jpg

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

mamabelle
02-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Well I guess the Zapp is out/ Couldn't possibly fold it with two hands, hold onto dd and get on bus.

I am a little dissapointed about the steering on the SC as the price is so much better and it is nicer looking but steeering is more important.
I have been using a hand me down Triumph and really love it but the handles are shredded and it just looks tired and shot. Dd doesn't mind the bumps and it steers so nicely. I figure if I am going to replace it, I might as well do so with something lighter. I think it is safe to assume that the Volo would handle as well as the Triumph.

The zapp looks great though.

Kimberly H
02-03-2005, 06:22 AM
ahhh, yes. That would be me! I won't be getting another Silver Cross product because I'm very disappointed in the quality control, especially because I held off getting a lightweight stroller until the Micros came out.

Mia's not into strollers in the first place so it burns me up that I have *2* Micros in the trunk of my car awaiting Marilyn/SC's answer to getting them both back to SC and my money refunded. I'm going out with a girlfriend this Saturday to shop and play with our ChinaGirls and don't have a stroller to use on the rare occasion when I need one! :(

strollerqueen
02-04-2005, 04:56 AM
Well, she would look darling in a rose pink Mod Quest!;)

mamabelle
02-04-2005, 06:00 AM
I guess you get what you pay for and SC price reflects quality. Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually saw both strollers side by side yesterday and the Volo canopy seems much bigger and more substantial.

Sarah1
02-04-2005, 08:39 AM
I have the Volo and keep it in my car. It's great, although I hardly ever use it now (DD hates sitting in a stroller these days). I used to use it a TON before she started wanting to walk everywhere! The mesh fabric is great in hot weather. I don't regret buying it AT ALL. The canopy is fine, but it does sometimes come off when you fold it...also, it really only gives sun protection from overhead--the canopy really has no sides so there isn't any protection in that regard.

Good luck w/your buying decision :)

mamabelle
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
She would look stunning in that pink Quest but carrying her, my bag an dthe stroller on and off the bus I feel like those few lbs would make a huge difference. The pink Volo is great too but I think dh would not be thrilled about pushiung it and #2 may be a boy when that time comes!

Bsuperbmom
02-04-2005, 03:33 PM
I just saw the Volo and the Micro next to each other a few weeks ago, I am inclined to say the Volo turns better, but the CS seemed to push forward just as well the Volo. And I think it would push better forward over sidewalks with it's larger wheel.

The Micro problems are typical to new model strollers, most of you prolly were not around for the Volo wheel problems when they came out in Spring 2002. I tried several and they all blew it. They seem to be okay now; I would assume the SC will work out the kinks in the long run.

I also had an older model Mac Quest, which had the same wheels as the Volo and in the long run I decided it just wasn't cutting the sidewalks with those little wheels. Wheel size does matter, that's why those entry level mosters are pushable at all, they tend to have big wheel.

To me the canopies are a wash coverage wise. I tend to prefer a rounded canopy.

GL-