PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo or Buzz???

gordo
02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
OK - I know there is a lot of talk about this so sorry to make another post! We have narrowed it down to the Bugaboo or Buzz and I just don't know which to get. I guess my main concern is that we are getting the Snugride Car Seat so I like that I can get the adapters for the Bugaboo. If I buy the Buzz and the carrying cot (which I really want) and then end up having to buy a snap n go - it will cost more then the Bugaboo! Anyone else use or plan to use the Buzz with a newborn? What are you doing about a car seat/snap n go type option?

jesseandgrace
02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
I guess you have to think about which stroller you think will be better for you in the long run. Do you think the two piece fold will bother you? I can't say that it bothered me, but I do think it made me choose other strollers for the car more often! But, I loved the Bugaboo - but now I see them everywhere, it has become the most popular new stroller in Boston, and I am starting to see them everywhere in California where we are now. I know that shouldn't bother me, but it does!

So, if you like the Buzz better and will get more use out of it, then get that. But, I do agee that you will want a snap-n-go or a snap-n-go like product if you can't put the snugride in the Zapp. I know some people live without them, but I think it is an amazing thing to have. I know you shouldn't leave them in the carseat for too long because it limits movement, but if you can get some shopping done while the baby is asleep it is wonderful!

cgdmom
02-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I just ordered the Buzz...after debating the same issue (endlessly, according to my DH). After talking with a lot of friends, I decided that both the carrycot and the carseat adapter were such short-lived features that it made more sense to go with the stroller that I thought would be easier long-term (e.g. in seat mode). The two-piece fold on the bugaboo made that decision easy. So, I ordered the Buzz (in purple), with no carrycot (it was SO expensive for somethng that would only be used for a few months, at most) and a Kolcraft UCSc. (Also ordered a Zapp while I was at it...it did not add that much to shipping!) I am also thinking about a Lillebaby carrier (it works like a soft-sided carrycot and a footmuff), based on recommendations from this message board, as an alternative to the carrycot but thought I would wait until the stroller got here to make that decision.

I have to say, I was also put off by the trendiness factor of the bugaboo...but that may just be me.

Hope this helps.

mamabelle
02-03-2005, 01:41 PM
I do not have the Bug but many of my friends did and very few actually used the carrycot more than 6 weeks. I would do the snap and go for the few months you can use the carseat and then get the Buzz. Witht he Buzz you will not need an additional stroller (which is what most people do) for when you go in the car.

MeredithsMom
02-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Just thought I'd add that the cost of a Kolcraft UCC and the Graco adaptor for the Bugaboo are almost the same. We used a Kolcraft with our Snugride and recently purchased a Bugaboo, which we love.

gordo
02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Have you gotten the buzz yet? I am dying for the purple one so I would love to hear what the color is like IRL. See, the whole reason I loved the Bug was for the carry cot! I just love the idea of the baby laying down and being comfy instead of in a car seat - especially being due in May in Chicago - I could just imgaine how hot and humid the baby will be in the car seat over the summer. I too am driving my husband crazy with this decision! I agree with you that in the long-term I would prefer the Buzz over the two piece fold of the bug - but I just can't seem to stop myself from wanting the carrycot! I was also planning on using the carrycot as the baby's bed for the first couple months in the house.

sbaker
02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I have both the Buzz and the Zapp. There are several of us from SWAP that are going to place a group order for Quinnys. This will get us an additional discount off the price and bring the shipping charges way down. If you are interested email me and I will give you the group contact info.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

cgdmom
02-03-2005, 03:39 PM
I have not gotten the buzz yet, but expect it in a week or so. I will let you know what I think of the color (and post pictures if I can figure out how) once I get it. My baby is due any day now, and we live in Pennsylvania, so the decision was easier for me...I figured that it was unlikely I'd be getting out too much when the baby was still little enough to use the carrycot. But I am hoping (expecting) to be able to use the Buzz even when the baby is very little, since the seat is supposed to recline "near horizontal," and so to the extent I do get out for any longer walks/trips, I will do that rather than use the carseat/UCSC.

I did notice that the Quinny Speedi is available as a combination unit, with the carrycot, for about what the Buzz costs. Its specs are similar, although it is not quite as cool as the Buzz, and lacks the reversible seat. I thought about ordering that instead (and it comes in a great "mauve" color), before deciding to try the Buzz.

Good luck.

Susann
02-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Sara,
I didn't find your e-mail addy anywhere so I have to do it this way. Anyway, I would be interested in a group order. May I have the contact info, please.

thanks
Susann

tove @ zytor . com (no spaces)

Andrea5flk
02-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Susann,

CYE

autumngrrl
02-04-2005, 12:49 AM
I debated on these strollers (or the valco or MBUS) for MONTHS (DH was ready to kill me!), and after seeing pics and reviews on this site as well as brainybug.com, I opted for the Buzz & Zapp. DS is due in 2 weeks, we live in NYC, and like many other readers, it wasn't that I felt the Bug is 'bad', but rather that I can't stand to see myself coming and going every 5 seconds (literally every second stroller on the upper west side is a bug). Call me shallow, but I'm just so tired of seeing them! Also, the tiny front wheels bum me out, esp. when I see people getting stuck on curbs on the sidewalks, so I was definitely seeking for an alternative. After obssessing for long hours, I took the plunge and bought the Buzz.

Initially, I planned to buy the matching bassinet, but at the end of the day, the extra $200 (cost + s/h) of the Buzz bassinet (or $100 for the valco, or $200 for the MBUS) just didn't seem worth it to me. For the savings, I was able to justify getting the Zapp too. In answer to your question of car seat, we got a Combi Tyro infant seat (longer life span than the graco snugride, especially since I'm expecting a tall baby to go w/ my 6'4" DH) to go w/ the Combi Strollee Streak, which is incredibly light, much more so than the Kolcraft Universal. Together and thru an end-of-year clearance sale, the two came to $100, while the graco car seat & adaptor for the bug costs almost twice that price. While I don't love the idea of keeping DS in the infant seat for hours and hours at a time, I also think that because he's arriving in the dead of winter, we're not going to be taking a lot of leisurly strolls during the first couple of months (further limiting the usefulness of the bassinet). I guess my advice is that when you weigh your decision whether/not a bassinet is important to you, think about the time of year and climate! I think a lot of people who own the Bug will tell you they liked the bassinet option, but barely (if ever) used it.

A couple of things about our Buzz that I didn't realize before receiving it today: First, while it is collapsible into 1 piece, the instruction manual says that it can only be folded when the seat is rear-facing. So at the beginning when we use the stroller forward-facing, we will have to disassemble it in 2 pieces (same as a bug).

Second, it does recline 100% when forward-facing ("acceptable for newborns"), but since we're newbies at parenthood, we will have to figure out if/how to make a lightly-padded stroller seat comfortable for our tiny little guy! If we can't figure it out, we'll probably just stick with the car seat/strollee for the first few months until he can keep his head up in the seat.

Third, we love the pneumatic aspect... how it opens with the touch of a button (think office-chair), and how sturdy both the back AND front wheels are.

Fourth, the metallic fabric will take a little getting used to, but I think we will. Although we bought "blue mist", I also think chocolate would've been a totally chic option.

Fifth, I note there's not too much storage space. Think of the Stokke.... it's that same kind of "box" storage. This doesn't bother me (but then again, I'm not a parent yet!), but is something to consider when you're thinking of what kind of diaper bag to get.

Overall, we're really happy with the Buzz and Zapp (the Zapp is so cool in orange! And it folds into nothing!). We also bought the matching black footmuff (non-iridescent fabric, technically the Zapp's footmuff but also works with the Buzz), and all three items together w/ s&h was $850 USD, which is less than the cost of just a Bug and footmuff.

Lastly, a plug for the fantastic Erwin at http://www.babycare.nl who has been a total pleasure to work with. He answers all emails and calls patiently, shipped promptly, and provided all tracking info quickly. Even when the front wheels of our Zapp arrived yesterday with a defective locking mechanism, he responded immediately, and within 18 hours he shipped out replacement wheels. For me, that's more convenient than having to schlep a stroller back to BBB (or any store in the city)!

Best of luck whatever you choose, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to email me at rbpbnyc1019 @ aol . com

:) citygrrl