PDA

View Full Version : Peg owners-do you like the floating harness?

Suz520
02-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I know some kids really like it-being able to move around. But is it hard to buckle-or does the fabric loop work well to hold it up when you put your child in? When I tried it in the store, it was OK, but over time, and when you're in a hurry, is it a hassle?

When my DD(7) was born, I never saw any strollers with anything more than a 3-pt harness (some gracos even had 2-point belts), so the whole 5-pt harness thing is new for me. I don't want to sound like my mother ("Well you never rode in a carseat, and you turned out fine..."), but 3-pt. hrnesses seemed safe to me then, and it certainly was easy- especially putting a coat or sweater on and off without unbuckling. But of course safety is more important than conveniece, so I definitly need a 5-pt this time.

Anyway, until I get a new stroller for DS, I'm using the '97 Peg Perego Amalfi that I used with DD, and ordered a 5-pt harness for it. It really is a pain. The straps get tangled, and twisted, and I get the waist stap mixed up with the shoulder strap. Of course, i't a retrofit, so that's probably why.

Just wondering about other's opinions- floating harness woth it or not?

(I know I'm obsessing-If I don't picka stroller soon, DS will be too big for one!)

Thanks,
Suz

Momof3Labs
02-03-2005, 08:07 PM
I looooove the floating harness. I just make sure to take a second (that's all it takes) to lay it out before putting Colin in the stroller. I honestly don't use the little tab to hold it in place as it really doesn't make it easier for me. But once it is on, Colin is so happy because he can move freely, and I'm happy because I know that he won't fall out of the stroller, despite leaning over as far as he can to watch the wheels turn! He does fine in a 3-pt too, but does not really like harnesses like the Mac that are attached to the back of the stroller.

FWIW, you can also use the P3 harness as a 3-point.

DebbieJ
02-03-2005, 08:48 PM
We love the harness too. I hook it into the loop before I put him in so it will stay in place, then I strap him in and unhook it.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

Suz520
02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Really? How do you use it as a 3-point? Just put the shoulder straps around their waist, so the waist has 2 straps?

Thanks. It's good to know good to know i'ts not too complicated.
Suz

jesseandgrace
02-03-2005, 09:44 PM
I loved it! I don't have the stroller anymore, but that was the only type that my dd would tollerate. Now I take off the shoulder parts and just use the waist straps if I can, otherwise she won't sit at all, and since she can wiggle out of the shoulders straps it is useless to try.

carolines mommy
02-04-2005, 12:37 AM
The shoulder harness has a "loop" of plastic that fits around the prongs for the waist straps. I just slid the loops off those prongs and tucked the dangling ends of the shoulder straps under the seat and they now hang into the basket. My daughter doesn't need to use the 5 pt harness at this point as she hasn't gotten adventurous enough to try to get out of the stroller.

Erika

mirage429
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
If my son doesn't have the shouder straps across him, he would climb out like he does in his high chair. I also never had a prob with the harness. I just hook it into the tab if he's wiggling when I put him in and then unhook it once he's buckled up. I prefer the peg harness over the mac one but ds doesn't seem to mind either one.

Suz520
02-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the input!
I bought a P3 yesterday, but had to take it back this morning. Though the box said Black Sable, when I got it home, there was a Metalica P3 in it. I should have checked it in the store-duh! So, back to BRU again, 30 min. away, and now I have it in the black sable, and love it!
Suz

hellosmiletoday
02-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Having the 5pt harness was nice for about 8 months or so, but now that DD sits up well, I want to convert the Peg harness from 5 pt to 3 pt. I removed the loops that attach to the clip, but I cant figure out how to remove the should straps entirely. DD's head is right up against the plastic part of the 5pt that attaches to the seat loop, and it seems uncomfortable for her.
Thanks!

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

twofallbabies
02-25-2005, 02:30 PM
I LOVE the Peg floating harness. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! My 2 year old does too. We're on our 4th Peg (2 Plikos and 2 P3s), and I just love it still. Occasionally when Luc's being really wiggly, I will use the fabric hook to get him in and buckled, and then take it off the loop, but most of the time I don't need to use it. When it's cold, I will put him in the stroller straight from the car with his coat on, and buckle the harness around his coat. When we get indoors, I unbuckle one side of the harness at a time to get his coat off. And before we go back out, I put his coat on over the harness. Then when we get to the car, I unbuckle the harness, and undo the shoulder straps from the waist straps, and as I lift him or he climbs out, the straps come ouf of his coat. Hope this makes sense!

Jessica, mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif
28+ months

Pipersmamma
02-25-2005, 02:49 PM
LOVE the floating harnass. I used a Vanezia with DD #1 until #2 came along and I got a MBUD. I was really concerned she wouldn't be able to adjust to anything w/o the floating harnass. She's doing OK- but is not nearly as comfortable for long periods of time now that she can't move around as much. She liked the freedom, I liked knowing she was still secure. It's great!