PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used a Stroller Stretcher?

mamar
02-06-2005, 02:18 AM
It's this item here:

https://www.inventiveparent.com/strollerstretcher.htm.

I am short and also NEED a bar handle, yet I long for umbrella-style Euro strollers, all of which seem designed for tall people.

I'm wondering if I could turn one of these extenders upside down and "shorten" umbrella handles for my use.

TIA!

ctychick
02-23-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm bumping this b/c I'm interested too - mainly for the ability to steer with one hand. I currently have the Zippy and can't stand the one-handed steering. THanks!

dules
02-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Hmm, a lot of tall people complain that the umbrella handlebars on strollers are not tall enough for them to push without stooping. Which ones have you tried? Maybe we can recommend some others to you.

The first that comes to mind is an older (pre-2001) Maclaren, UK made. But once we know what you've tried, we can perhaps suggest some others.

Best,
Mary

mamar
02-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the response.

My problem is that even an ideally short umbrella stroller like the Chicco Caddy (Capri) will probably strain my hands on a long push, because they're so sensitive that I have to keep changing position.

I'm 5' tall.

As for what I've tried:

An old Mac Concorde (too tall)
Mac Global (slightly too tall at 41")
Mac Twin Traveler (WAAAY too tall at 44")
Mac Triumph (juuuust right at 41", I don't know why)
PP P3 (slightly too tall-feeling, also a bit harder to maneuver)
Zippy (about the same as the P3)
Baby Trend Eurosport (too tall)
Chicco Tuscany (tallish, but possibly acceptable)

I would love to get either the Loola or the Unibig/X-fold, but they both seem like the handles would not be adjustable far enough down.

Anyway, maybe I can drop a little $ on the Stroller Stretcher, just on the chance it'll work the way I want it to.

mamar
02-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Wait, though... looking at the Loola again and doing the conversion, it's about 38.75' at the handles. That's within my acceptable range.

mamar
02-24-2005, 05:53 PM
So I can't write a full review, but the Stretcher is not a full substitute for a bar handle. It's a metal tube with a little bit of foam on it, bent into a bunch of right angles. There's no one horizontal piece that is longer than about 6".

Now it may be okay anyway, but I'm having a %$^&!!@#$ of a time putting it on. I thought I was a good hand with an Allen wrench, but wow.

I'm going to take a break. If I ever get it attached right, I'll report back!